1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warranty on 2006 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ninalr, Jan 28, 2007.

1. ninalr

ninalr Junior Member

Can anyone tell me if the windshield is covered by manufacturer's warranty? I got my Prius in June 06, and yesterday a crack appeared in the windshield (while it was in the garage overnight). The crack has grown in length today -it's more than halfway down the windshield now.

2. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(spanielsmum @ Jan 28 2007, 04:37 PM) [snapback]382080[/snapback]</div>
    Isn't this an insurance issue rather than a warranty issue?

3. gupchurch1349

gupchurch1349 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(spanielsmum @ Jan 28 2007, 07:37 PM) [snapback]382080[/snapback]</div>

Get real. First read and understand your car's warranty. A cracked windshield is definitely an insurance issue. This is just another example of not using a little common sense. I see so much of this on the site. I apologize if I offend you, but sometimes I wonder how some Prius owners even know how to operate their car with all of the silly questions I see on this website.

4. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I agree with the others that this is an insurance, not a warranty issue. My guess is that you unknowingly caught a rock or something else that made a small and unnoticeable chip while driving. Sitting in the (presumably cold) garage overnight caused it to spread. Your insurance should pay to replace it, less any deductible you have for comprehensive coverage.

5. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

While it is possible the windshield had a latent defect from the factory, it is much more likely to have been caused by impact. By the way, some insurance deductibles are waived for windshield stone damage.

6. Ghostrider

Ghostrider New Member

I have seen a windshield replaced under factory warranty before. it's a valid question IF there is not evidence of a rock impact. A few years ago I watched a BMW dealer tell a customer that there was no rock chip and therefore the new windshield was under warranty.
    It never hurts to ask the dealer to look at it- again if there is not an obvious cause.

7. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ghostrider @ Jan 28 2007, 09:42 PM) [snapback]382114[/snapback]</div>
    Absolutely. If the crack was caused by thermal stresses alone, such as a defective windshield or mis-mounting it's definitely a warrantee issue. I've seen them replaced a lot. Just like the people here who got their fog light covers replaced because cold water splashed on hot glass and caused them to crack.

If there's no evidence of an impact, go to the dealer.

If there's any evidence of an impact, talk to your insurance company.

8. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ghostrider @ Jan 28 2007, 09:42 PM) [snapback]382114[/snapback]</div>
    Hadn't heard that before, so I stand (potentially) corrected. Ya learn something new every day!