1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warranty questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by noname87, Jul 9, 2008.

1. noname87

noname87 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a deposit on a 2009. I am trying to get some basic information about the warranty which I can't find on the Toyota site.

1) The hybrid components have a 8yr/100k warranty. What components does if cover? Is the MFD, inverter, inverter cooling system, electric motor, etc covered?

2) The battery warranty is for 8/100k except for a few states. The general answer if if the state has adopt California emissions then it is 10yr/150K. What states actually have the 150K coverage? I have heard NJ mentioned but the salesman said no.

I have read about extended warranty offered here at a discount. I am trying to determine what the extended warranty covers that the hybrid warranty does not. I am interest only in what additional coverage it offers for the the hybrid system. I have asked Troy but only got a quote and not a real answer yet.

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    See my answers in RED:

"I have a deposit on a 2009. I am trying to get some basic information about the warranty which I can't find on the Toyota site.

1) The hybrid components have a 8yr/100k warranty. What components does if cover? Is the MFD, inverter, inverter cooling system, electric motor, etc covered?"

The 8 years/ 100,000 miles hybrid system warranty applies to:

- Hybrid battery
    - Hybrid battery control computer
    - Hybrid control computer
    - Inverter with converter

As to the electric motor and other parts of the hybrid system, I honestly don't know what the basic coverage is and what the extended warranty adds.

"2) The battery warranty is for 8/100k except for a few states. The general answer if if the state has adopt California emissions then it is 10yr/150K. What states actually have the 150K coverage? I have heard NJ mentioned but the salesman said no."

The warranty information booklet is confusing. It basically says that the California 10 year/150,000 miles hybrid battery warranty "also applies to Connecticut, Florida, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island and Vermont vehicles equipped with a California Certified Emission Control System." But it is my understanding that the longer California hybrid battery warranty does in fact apply to Priuses sold in those listed states.

"I have read about extended warranty offered here at a discount. I am trying to determine what the extended warranty covers that the hybrid warranty does not. I am interest only in what additional coverage it offers for the the hybrid system. I have asked Troy but only got a quote and not a real answer yet."

Because the longest and best Toyota extended warranty is for 7 years/100,000 miles, and the basic hybrid system warranty is for 8 years/100,000 miles (and in certain states, 10 years/150,000 miles for the hybrid battery), the extended warranty does not provide any additional coverage for the four hybrid system parts covered by the hybrid system warranty.

But as to the electric motor and other parts of the hybrid system, I honestly don't know what the basic coverage is and what the extended warranty adds.

Hope this helps.

3. Eunurse

Eunurse New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    new member here, but i am also confused about the warranty. i hope to be picking up my new car in a week or so (wahtever that means) and i want to be able to sound something other than blonde. from what i have learned on this site, don't buy and extended warranty from the dealer. take all manuels and paperwork home and read what is and isn't covered and then continue to ask questions and eventually it will all come together?

4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For further brain damage, consider what the Toyota Financial Services website has to say about the Platinum Plan extended warranty and its excluded components:

"Note: Platinum protection covers virtually all component groups on new vehicles. If your new vehicle's component does not appear on our List of Excluded Components , it is covered by Platinum protection."

"List of Excluded Components
    • Accessory Drive Belts
    • Batteries
    • Body Panels
    • Brake Linings, Pads and Shoes
    • Bumpers
    • Carpet
    • Chrome
    • Clutch Friction Disk and Pressure Plate
    • Dash Cover and Pad
    • Door Trim, Handles and Fabric
    • Filters
    • Fluids
    • Glass (including Windshield)
    • Headliner
    • Heating Hoses, Lines and Tubes
    • Hinges
    • Hybrid System Main Relays
    • Hybrid Vehicle Battery
    • Hybrid Vehicle Battery Module/Pack
    • Hoses
    • Interior and Exterior Trim Moldings, including but not limited to, Cup Holders, Ashtrays, Covers, and Vents
    • Lamps
    • Light Bulbs
    • Nuts, Bolts, Clips, Retainers and Fasteners
    • Paint
    • Rotors and Drums
    • Rust and Corrosion Damage
    • Seat Covers
    • Service Plug
    • Shiny Metals
    • Spark Plugs
    • Structural Framework and Wells
    • Tires
    • Vacuum Hoses, Lines and Tubes
    • Weather Stripping
    • Wheels and Rims
    • Windshield Wiper Blades (Rubber Component)"

5. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is how lawyers get rich LOL

6. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL re lawyers.

I think most people may need a J.D. from Yale, a Ph.d in Engineering from MIT, plus at least a month of research, to understand the warranty and extended warranty.

But it wouldn't surprise me if there's a PriusChatter out there who already understands it all.

Reminds me a little of a 60 Minutes story about that MIT professor who was one of the contributing inventors of HDTV. Even he had to call in the Geek Squad from Best Buy to hook up, program and learn to operate his new HDTV.

7. noname87

noname87 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tom,

Thanks for the reply.

Now for the $1,000,000 question:

How can I tell if the car has the "California Certified Emission Control System" ? If I buy a car in NJ does it have this system?

I did call the Toyota customer care line. The first person said 8yr/100K. I question that and he said he didn't know for sure about the 10yr/150K and transferred me to the another person. He claimed that the 150K warranty was for Ca, Maine, CT, NH, NY, VT, Pa, MA, RI but not NJ. I don't remember if he mention Florida.

Bottom line is that what matters is what is in the warranty booklet which you quoted. I really don't understand why Toyota cannot put this information on their web site.

8. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi noname,

I agree. Toyota should have the warranty information booklet available online.

But your Toyota dealer should be willing to make/give you a copy.

However, if you want to, I can copy or scan and send or email you a copy of my 2007 booklet. But I would need you to PM me with your mailing and email addresses.

9. noname87

noname87 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After talking with Toyota Customer Experience line, I appears that Toyota has a battery warranty policy that can vary not only on where you live but also what emission system you have. This is covered in the warranty booklet (which Tom posted above) you get after you purchase the car. This is my understanding:

Basically there are two warranties in CT, Maine, MA, NH, NJ. NY, RI and VT. If the sticker says that you have the “California Certified Emission Control Systems†then you have a 10 year, 150K warranty otherwise it is 8 years/ 100k. I assume everyone in CA has 10yr, 150k. So if you have a choice (not likely) find a car with a sticker that say “California Certified Emission Control Systems†.

I just boggles my mind that Toyota has a dual warranty within a single state.

Philip

10. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Phil,

I still don't trust your dealer's word. My own dealer twice told me that my wheel alignment was not under warranty. The second time I told him about the whole history of the Prius alignment, and showed him the warranty booklet which expressly says that the alignment is warranted for 12 months or 20,000 miles.

In any event, where would I find that sticker --- is it the window sticker the dealer is talking about?