1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warranty Transfer Information/Contact.. how do i do it?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kamakazi17, Sep 27, 2011.

1. kamakazi17

kamakazi17 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Everyone,

New the the forums, just recently got a 2006 Prius package 6 and loving it! :cheer2:

The car has 43k miles and the warranty runs out at the end of this year (december). I need to get some work done to the car as told by melody toyota service department when i got my 2 recalls done.

Does anyone have any information in how this transfer is done? the owner lives 3 hours away so i'd like to do this with less travel time as possible. is there a form i can fill out or call someone to get this done? I tried calling toyota, but it just threw me at an automated number.

Thank you in advance and sorry about my noobish ways

2. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    kamakazi17,

I assume you're talking about an extended warranty that the original owner may have purchased because there is still a whole lot left on the factory "hybrid component" warranty [of 10 years or 150,000 miles (whichever comes first)]. I don't know if that one has to be transferred or if it just stays with the car (no matter who owns it at the time of a claim).

As far as the 60 month (5 years) or 60,000 mile power train warranty, are you sure you have until December? You're still a good distance away on the mileage, but the time period starts from the original owner's "in service" date, so you need to have your Toyota dealer look that up on the Toyota database & it would be nice if they can print that (& any other info on your car) out for you. (I think this part of the warranty stays with the car like the "hybrid component" one may.

If you indeed are talking only about the official extended warranty from Toyota Financial Services (not a third party aftermarket one---I'm unsure if an aftermarket one can be transferred), then use this link to get ahold of Troy (in post # 1403). http://priuschat.com/forums/sponsor...-extended-warranty-service-contracts-141.html
    He should be able to help you since he works at a Toyota dealer selling the official Toyota Financial Services one (he sold me mine some years ago).

You can contact him through the USPS snail mail, telephone, or here at PriusChat [by either e-mail or Private Mail (known as PM) by clicking on his screen name of TOG (at the top left of his post) & making your choice from the drop-down box]. If you choose the internet & you don't get any response within a couple of hours at the most, then check your "spam" or "trash" filter/folder as that's where his response may sometimes get trapped. You might also see the e-mail source listed as "Warranty Shack" (that's him).

He will help you to do a transfer of anything left on an official Toyota extended warranty (but not an aftermarket one), however since there is a variety of different mileage length & month/year duration products, he can only transfer what the original owner purchased, but not offer to convert to another longer duration product [since you are already outside of the original factory warranty limits of 36,000 miles & 36 months (3 years)].

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

1 person likes this.