1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Was almost sideswiped by a large truck filled with people

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by local_host, Jun 18, 2007.

1. local_host

local_host New Member

Looked like a Ford F150 or something of that size. Filled with poeple (in the extended cab too) appeared to be all guys. Was about 1:30am on a Saturday night (otherwise early Sunday morning). They were probably out downtown partying and were drunk.

They honked their horn, had their passenger side window rolled down and yelled something unintelligible at me...I'm sure it wasn't nice whatever it was;-)) Their truck was inches away from me, it happened at about the same time I was exiting off the freeway to go home. Had I not moved over to the right to exit they might have hit me from the side. I saw their truck swerve back into the lane and kept going forward as I exited.

Freaky stuff. I can't say this has ever happened to me before, I was a bit shaken up when I made it home. I'm wondering if it was a direct result of the Prius or were they just being drunk and stupid. Thinking about the drive home and if I cut anyone off, hmm can't recall having done so..

Heck if I had my former car I would have considered following them and seeing what was up. Would've probably not been a good idea though. Ah the era of road rage...

Anyways just thought I would post about it here, as it could have been a classic case of Prius anger by large trucks and SUV drivers.

2. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would assume that they were being drunk and stupid.
    I've followed trucks/SUVs/cars that acted that badly, at times... it's pretty universal: Instant A$$hole, just add alcohol.

3. tiger roach

tiger roach New Member

Bastards! :angry:

Glad you and your car weren't hurt!

4. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Since it was in the night, I don't think they even saw you were driving a Prius. Probably just random stupidity mixed with alcohol. I am glad they didn't hit you. Idiots.

Since we are on the subject... I was driving home (to MI) from Chicago about a month ago with four other friends in my car. We were on the highway and I heard a big screeching noise. I looked to my left and saw a woman (probably in her 20's) slamming on her brakes couple of feet away from another vehicle which was minding its own busniess at a reasonable speed. My friends told me that the braking produced sparks from the tires. I was glad she didn't do that behind my car. Then she slowed down considerably, I hoped no one rear ended her. Few minutes later, we saw her zooming past us again! Few miles later, we saw her car (Chevy Impala) stopped on the left most lane (or perhaps it was outside the lanes).

5. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I was driving on a fairly deserted freeway late at night some years ago, and a car was weaving back and forth between lanes. I called 911 and gave them my location and told them that I felt the guy was driving VERY dangerously. He was slow enough that I opted to speed up a little and get significantly past him, so I don't know if he ever got pulled over. If I suspected someone were drunk (especially if they almost ran me off the road!), I'd call 911 in a heartbeat with their license number. Jerks.

6. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, get a plate and call it in. The very least you can do is try,
    even if the local LE doesn't actually care...
    _H*

7. snowdog650

snowdog650 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(local_host @ Jun 18 2007, 12:25 PM) [snapback]464184[/snapback]</div>
    Somethimes there is no explaining why morons do the things they do. It is an exercise in futility.

Glad to hear that you are OK and that the incident did not escalate ... you did the right thing by just getting the hell out of the way.

8. alexstarfire

alexstarfire New Member

You're not the only one to nearly get sideswiped recently. In fact, just 2 days ago I nearly got sideswiped. I had just crossed an intersection and this lady in an SUV turned right, going in my direction, and got into the lane next to me. No big deal until she decided that she wanted in my lane, with me right next to her. She didn't signal, stop, or show any sign of trying to avoid me despite me honking my horn for nearly 10 seconds. She didn't flinch or even look at me.

If I hadn't been going to pick up the GF I might have just let them hit me since it's their fault anyways, probably wouldn't have though. It's amazing at how stupid people can be, yet still act like it's not their fault.