1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Was it because it was a rental, or a Chevy?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Mystery Squid, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

So my cousin rented a car for a week to get him around over vacation.... So he get's this new (had to be either an '05 or '06) Chevy Impala, 22k miles on the clock. Well, ok, seemed decent enough, sort of neat gauges, and a little block of rubber below the ignition so your hanging keys wouldn't make noise against the plastic trim... Nice touch I had to admit... Well, three issue arose: 1. above 60-65, the ride sucked. It was clear it either needed alignment, wheel balancing, or both. Of course, I'm not quick to blame Chevy for that one, as a rental with 22k on the clock, you know someone probably drove the thing hard and careless. 2: had to put a big box in the car, and was surpised as all heck to find out the rear seats didn't fold down... I was like, "Huh? They actually STILL make cars with non-folding rear seats???", and 3. For whatever reason, the trunk wouldn't shut. We had to really, REALLY, slam it down (after at least 3 tries) for it to lock, yet there was nothing in the trunk...

My cousin also said the acceleration sucked, but hey, it's a 4 dr. family esque sedan, so I won't hold that against Chevy, but it sort of does make you wonder...

2. unruhly

unruhly New Member

The rubber thingy under the keys is a receiver/transmitter to check the key serial number that's embedded in a chip in the key. (Anti-theft device).

As for all your other observations. It's a Chevy. The reaons why people aren't buying american iron any more. It just isn't made to the standards that we have come to expect for the amount of money we have to shell out.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jul 16 2006, 09:23 PM) [snapback]287405[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, it's not all THAT uncommon. I believe the current Acura TL and the previous gen also didn't have folding rear seats. I believe it's for structural rigidity reasons. The Accord Hybrid's seats also don't fold either.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are quite a number of cars with non-folding seats. Usually either for cost issues or structural issues.

Corolla XRS - v-brace
    Camry SE - v-brace
    C-Class - it's optional
    LS/Avalon/Camry XLE - reclining rear seats
    Corolla VE - cost
    Saturn ION - cost

etc etc

5. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jul 16 2006, 09:23 PM) [snapback]287405[/snapback]</div>
    Huh...I've never had that hanging-key-noise issue with my current car. They tend to not make much noise seeing as they never leave my purse. :blink: :D

6. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jul 17 2006, 12:35 AM) [snapback]287460[/snapback]</div>

Honda Civic Hybrid-battery space?

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't seen the HCH's boot so I don't' know how the battery is arranged. I mean, Toyota was able to offer folding seats on the Classic (although not in the US version).

8. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jul 18 2006, 11:42 AM) [snapback]288251[/snapback]</div>
    Well, the rear seats on my 2004 HCH were non-folding. FWIW: folding rear seats on a small sedan make no sense to me; even if they did fold, what could I possibly get through the tiny rear doors of most 4-door, non-hatchback sedans.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What's that gotta do with the doors? IT's what you put through the boot and it's the opening that's more important than the rear doors. If you're folding the seat, it's assumed you're putting something long in there.

Hell, in the Camry, we've fitted bookshelves and CD towers.