1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Was my insurance company fair with this total loss value?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by crellion, Oct 12, 2021.

1. crellion

crellion Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Someone wrecked my 2012 Prius 2 with only 90k miles on it.

It was in immaculate condition as I treated it like a baby :(

The insurance company is offering me $10k for the total loss. Is this a decent value or am I getting low-balled here?

2. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Try to shop for a similar Prius feature wise and mileage wise. If you can't find one with the money they are giving you call them up and explain. Hopefully they will offer you more like they did for me...

REVVL V+ 5G ?

3. Fitcious

Fitcious Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sounds low. I would see how much Carvana would offer you if you were to sell it to them before the accident. It will give u an idea how much the car is worth

4. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Over here at the moment, the option of agreed price is no longer the best choice because market value is much higher at the moment because of the long wait for delivery on a new vehicle.
    I don't know the rules over there, but if you don't agree with the write off money, you can demand the vehicle be repaired or replaced with an equal quality replacement ..... that one usually gets a better offer

T1 Terry

5. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would take the money and run...

straight to the used car market and shop for another low milage used car at a decent price. they're out there, but hidden by a bunch of INFLATION overpriced heaps

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What does KBB say?

Your little creme puff was 10 years old, about half way through its life cycle and was a < $25,000 car to start with.
    You may have paid more at the time but I'm old enough to remember when leftover 2015's were staying on the shelves with sub-$20,000 price tags and a hideously fugly 2016 replacement.

Argue with them as long as it seems convenient, and tell the insurance company "negotiate or litigate" but in the end you're not going to get much more than that IMHO.....especially if you live on free soil.

7. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Not bad price. You could get another higher mile 2012 and have the engine rebuilt for that money.

8. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My insurance company decided to write my '06 Prius off, insured value was apparently AUD$5,500 but they are saying they'll give me AUD$6,500, because we have agreed market value.
    The problem is, the assessor turned up at the smash repaired where the vehicle is in for assessment for the second claim damage ..... and classed the Prius a write-off on the first claim and tried to close the second claim. I put a stop to that because there is a 3rd party vehicle damaged claim attached to the second claim.
    The other issue is the insurance company said the first claim couldn't be processed until the car was presented to a mechanical engineer who was qualified to asses the damage to a high voltage hybrid system. They wouldn't accept that I was qualified to do the report, it had to go to a repaired currently working in the industry.
    The basis of the second claim was the result of damage caused trying to get the vehicle to the qualified people to do the repair .... it still hasn't been there yet, but this totally unqualified assessor has deemed the vehicle is write off without the report from the qualified person .......

I then offered to buy the wreck back, his estimate was AUD$1,000, but said he would have to get an appraisal from the salvage disposal people, an auction house well known in Australia. By the time stamps on the emails, this appraisal was made this morning at 8:45am and for AUD$1457.00 .... yeah right, they drove over 100km out of the city to look at the vehicle ...... I call B/S to that, so the battle begins ......

T1 Terry

9. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hmmm...... Seems I didn't think deep enough into this, they declared my Prius a statutory write-off because there was afire involved .... still plan to battle with them about the fact there was a fire in the first place so it was already a statutory write off so I didn't have to get it into someone authorised to do the assessment of the damage, it was a write-off no matter what .....
    Now there is no point in buying the wreck back to do the LTO battery trial .... such is life

T1 Terry

10. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    My daughter was rear ended in stopped traffic on the freeway over the summer and it totaled our 2010 liftback with around 130K miles. :cry:

Long story short, she wasn't at fault at all...and we ended up getting around $9500 after all was said and done. Unfortunately, we just learned that the F'n idiot at fault ( the driver of the vehicle behind her ) didn't have insurance on his vehicle at the time of the event. At first everyone did think he had insurance...but apparently he scrambled to get insurance just *after* the accident happened ( a BIG no no...obviously o_O ). We are lucky our insurance company has been such a pleasure to work with ( Progressive ). They not only immediately paid out ( minus our deductible )...but are fighting to get us back the deductible amount as well. Basically, the at fault driver without insurance is currently getting their nice person sued by a large insurance company ( ouch :D ).

As for the replacement vehicle, I couldn't find anything listed via the normal channels for a decent deal...so against my better judgement, I did a craigslist deal. I was pretty apprehensive about it...but it turned out great! We ended up with a 2012 Prius C with only 63K miles....for around the same price as the totaled 2010 Prius liftback with around 130K miles.

Here is the complete saga, if interested :

Accident details :
    Our 2010 Gen3 is going to the great Prius graveyard in the sky ( due to accident ) | PriusChat

The replacement Prius C :
    Hi all, new Prius C owner | PriusChat

11. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Next piece of B/S in this saga, turns out AUD$6,500 won't buy another '06 Prius with the same leather interior or kms on the clock, try around AUD$8,500 to $10,000 .... yet the claims mob is trying to reduce the $6,500 figure claim the refund for the unused rego (because they are making the vehicle unregisterable now) should be deducted from the under valued market value they offered .....

T1 Terry

12. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yeah, a win for the little people. They have reassessed the claim, I get the vehicle back and AUD$7,500, it will be marked as a repairable write off meaning we just need to get it inspected when the rego becomes due again.
    So I'm a very happy camper and let the LTO upgrade begin :D(y)

T1 Terry

ASRDogman likes this.
  13. burrito

burrito Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congratulations! I'm glad it worked out well for you.

14. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well worth doing a search for vehicles for sale with the same options pack as the vehicle they want to write off. In my case, they affer the market value of a standard trim '06 Prius, but I was able to show just how expensive an iTech upgraded '06 Prius was worth .... if you could find one ....... that made a world of difference, along with showing my fire damage didn't equal the requirements for a statutory write off .....

T1 Terry