1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Was the Prius a step up or step down from your previous car?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Reedja42, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Reedja42

Reedja42 2012 Prius, Gen III, Barcelona Red, (FRED)

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We all came to the Prius from different directions. We have come from different brands, sizes, horsepower, and luxury levels. So I’m just curious do you consider the Prius to be a step up or step down from your previous car? For me it was a step up. I came from a GM family and was brand loyal until the Prius. I liked the Chevy Cavalier and owned several of them over the years, but it was discontinued a few years ago. I was unimpressed by the models they came up with to replace it, so when my last car finally reached the end of its life and gas prices soared, I looked at the Prius and loved it. It really was a step up in just about every category, comfort, ride, room, and of course MPG. Obviously others have had a much different experience. If you stepped down to the Prius, do you regret it? If so, why? Just curious about this because I noticed a lot of people used to own what I would consider to be more luxury cars who have switched to the Prius.

2. Zormico

Zormico Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Step up for mein almost every way, had 07 tC before this, only thing superior about tC was the acceleration.

3. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a VW, anything was a step up. :p

JMD likes this.
  4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A neither and a step up. I made a snap decision and bought a 2011 Accord Coupe EX 4 cyl which was priced about the same as this Prius Three. Things I like better about the Accord - more solid and stable on the freeway, faster, turns better, interior more appealing and 'designed as it ought to be' with good quality. Although I can get the Prius to work and be comfortable enough, it's a bit off **

** I don't like to be excluded from driving a car where there's plenty of interior room. But, Prius steering wheel center measures 17 inches from my chest while the NHTSA (as stated in owners manual) recommends minimum only 10 inches. 17 inches is near outer limit, but I'm not scooting 1mm closer as my legs are folded enough already. Unfortunately some 'average height' people here like to imply 'it would suck to be you' while professional reviewers from CR, Edmunds and more also state problems with limited steering wheel adjustment. I'm just hoping the next gen Prius will be even better, but some of the things I see in new Toyota aren't so happening (i.e. new '13 Avalon steering wheel doesn't tilt down enough for me, I wouldn't buy it) Maybe Toyota is thinking ahead to self steering cars and not so concerned about good steering wheel adjustability.

some people are more concerned with protecting the image and sales of the current Prius and seem to think that everything that comes from a manufaturer is 'correct' or as it should be. But...

there was a time when new cars had - no headrests, no shoulder belts and no seatbelts and I'm sure some people thought those cars were just perfect at the time.

anyrate, Accord Coupe wasmore luxurious, but dr seat narrower and have much harder bottom side bolsters which jut into my rather bony hips. 4 door Accord seats are different and more comfortable.

But, Prius is much easier to use (smart key, push button start), more practical (4 doors, hatch, should not have bought a coupe, never again), hybrid drive makes more sense and nearly twice as easy on gas.

I had a 2nd gen Prius for 2 1/2 years and hands down, 3rd gen is a decent step up from that - more solid, seating better (needs some work), drives smoother and EVs better.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I voted step down... but it's tough to compare. My Prius replaced my former 02 Maxima.

The Prius is a HUGE step down in power, acceleration and engine smoothness from my Maxima. The ride is also considerably worse on the Prius. Maxima was very smooth but suspension was bit too soft and its handling was somewhat crappy. The Max was also a GXE so it was a base model w/few gadgets (no nav) but it had a power seat, Homelink, HID headlights, cruise control and decent stock stereo.

Prius gets about 2x the mileage, has SKS (which I love), doesn't need premium has a considerably worse ride but I have more gadgets (have package NL so I have everything except leather) and it has a lot of cargo room but is a step down in passenger room. But despite me having a decked out Prius, it has no sunroof (which I expect cars that are almost fully equipped to have) and no power seat (ditto). I dare say the Prius' handling is better than the Max.

I did also have a 350Z from late 03 until 2011, so I had it along side my Prius for years. Prius is a HUGE step down in handling, brakes and acceleration from the Z. Same deal w/Z getting 1/2 mileage and needing premium. My Z was an Enthusiast trim level (2nd to lowest) so it was fairly bare bones but had cruise control, Homelink and HIDs. Z was only a 2 seater w/minimal cargo room, a terrible ride (very harsh and bouncy) and pretty loud inside. Prius has way better ride and a WAY better stereo (Z stereo was crap).

The styling of the Z was way better than my Prius.

Handling of Z vs. Maxima or Prius (esp. Maxima) was night and day.

6. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Previous car was an '07 Subaru Outback. I lost AWD winter traction and rear cargo space, but gained MPG, front & rear passenger space, and acceleration (yes, the 4 cylinder automatic Subie was sloooow). I call it a toss-up.

7. Odinn

Odinn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had a 2010 Tundra CrewMax Platinum. My drive to work went from 6 to 37 miles one way when I got married and moved out of town and 16mpg was not going to cut it with that extra mileage. (I met my wife-to-be 3 weeks after I bought the Tundra.) There are many things I miss about my Tundra 5.7L iForce, but I have been more then happy with my Prius. My father has a F-150 that he lets me borrow when I have hauling/towing needs.

I do notice that as a Prius driver, I am treated differently on the road than as a pickup truck driver. The Tundra is huge, lets make no mistake, but I seem to get cut off more in the Prius and especially tailgated more. I would pose that question as well, do you get tailgated more in your Prius than in your previous non-Prius vehicle.

The wife and I both agree that when the time comes, we will more and likely replace the Prius with another Prius because we have come to love it so much. Who knows what TMC will have out when that time comes. Next Gen! :)

Mike Rosenzweig likes this.
  8. Tim Powell

Tim Powell Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Huge step up in MPG for me coming from an 04 Mercedes E320. Huge step down in comfort, but for me with my long commute it was worth the trade for the fuel savings.

PLSPUSH likes this.
  9. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My previous car was falling apart, so definitely a step up.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    taurus, you tell me.:rolleyes:

Priusmpglover and JMD like this.
  11. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sold a '99 Mercury Mountaineer but really replaced a 2002 Chevrolet Venture (which my wife drives still).
    I've lost some heavier duty capabilities (hundreds of pounds of cargo, trailer towing) but neither of those is a regular need and I could always rent something.
    A step up in every meaningful respect.

12. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It really depends upon your definitions.
    My vehicle immediately before the Prius was a Lexus IS250.
    Overall, I would say it was a step up as I doubled my gas mileage and therefore cut by half my contribution to our trade deficit (from gas), the need to put our soldiers at risk, and my out of pocket fuel expense.
    Likewise, I loved the smart key:)

If you pick it apart, it was a step down in comfort, fit and finish, and style.

Do I regret it? No, not for a second. I would happily do it again if it the same choices were available on the market.
    I may actually do it again although it is a long shot. It depends more on our driving habits than the Prius though, and how well they match up. Or, if Toyota develops a BEV and sells it in MN in the next year or so.

13. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :D I still have my previous car, a 2011 Lexus IS 350 F-Sport. It's unfair to compare two totally different cars. I voted neither. Only one model year apart, my Prius is far superior in technology, more fun to drive, and provides more than transportation. In reality, my Prius Plug In is a great leap in technology. I even look forward to the suspense, anticipation, and exhilaration when I turn it off, and see my current MPG report. I get plenty of 999s and in between. I must be overwhelmed with the pluses, because I have no valid complaints so far.

14. Andrax

Andrax Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I came from a Lexus RX300 to a 2010 Prius IV. I was filling the Lexus 6 times a month in some cases, the Prius only twice, three if I am driving like mad. Waaay more headroom in the Prius and cargo space is pretty much a push when you look at the hatch design on the Prius. I do miss my AWD as I do love winter driving. It's not as fun to drive as my old BMWs, but it has enough zip to get on the freeway or make a pass without a running start. Decent stereo, heated seats, lots of passenger room... I'd buy another Prius in a heartbeat!

15. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Up.
    Last car was a 1990 Toyota (did I need to say that?) Camry wagon. Prius has better performance on balance, near as much carrying capacity and smoother. I honestly think people who think Prius lacks power either don't floor it or mistake smooth for sluggish.
    Only down side is I could tow a trailer with the Camry, not permitted to tow a trailer with a Prius by law in Australia as Toyota have given it a towing capacity of 0kg.

16. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nah. My first Prius (2005) was an upgrade from my 2000 Corvette....

17. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    I previously had a 2008, MK4, Ford Mondeo, 2.0 TDCi, Automatic and the Prius was a step down in build quality and comfort but a step up in technology, ease of driving and running costs.

18. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Big Step up from 2005 Prius 46.5mpg 60,000 miles t0 plug-in. :D

19. Reedja42

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks everyone for your responses. The voting has so far been fairly evenly distributed; with step up, having a slight lead. Do you feel the increase in gas mileage is the biggest offset to any loss in performance or comfort from your former car, or is it something else? For me it was fairly even between all factors, as my old Cobalt did have decent MPG around 35-37 if I kept my foot out of the fuel injectors. The Prius was just better all around to the Cobalt. One additional plus; my wife hated the Cobalt and wouldn’t drive it, but she loves the Prius and is actually driving it. Also the Prius has tons more rear passenger room than the Cobalt and the kids are happy about that.

20. Reedja42

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The only thing my Cobalt had that my new Prius doesn’t is a sun roof. Honestly I almost never used it though. NY weather is not the most conducive to using a sun roof, if I lived where the weather was better, maybe it would have mattered more.