1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Was the Prius the first to utilize the "Power" button & SKS?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by acousticbiker, Apr 8, 2006.

1. acousticbiker

acousticbiker New Member

Or was it a Lexus model first? Just curious...

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    SKS, Lexus (called SmartAccess). It debuted on the LS430 in... 2004? It also debuted on the S-Class (Keyless Go!) around that time too.

POWER, Prius. No other car, except the Camry Hybrid has a POWER button. The others all say Engine Start Stop and sometimes have an image too.

3. Hawk

Hawk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(acousticbiker @ Apr 7 2006, 09:12 PM) [snapback]236655[/snapback]</div>
    I had a rental car in Germany in 2003 that had a smart key. It was a Citron.

4. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    The Honda S2000 has had a "Start" button since it first appeared over ten years ago.

No SKS though... although I was told by a pasenger that the Corvette and several Caddys have that feature.

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Apr 7 2006, 09:30 PM) [snapback]236671[/snapback]</div>
    Are you saying there are other cars that start with a button? It hardly matters whether the button says Power or Engine Start. I thought the Prius was the first car to start without using a mechanical key, but I know nearly nothing about what's available on other cars out there.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 8 2006, 09:54 AM) [snapback]236734[/snapback]</div>
    A lot of old cars used a "start" button. Some had a power switch with a starter switch on the floor, much like the foot operated high-beam switches on older cars. Key switches were added to keep people from driving off with your car. Eventually the starter switch was incorporated into the key. Later the key switches were moved to the steering column to allow for a mechanical steering lock.

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hawk @ Apr 8 2006, 12:27 AM) [snapback]236690[/snapback]</div>
    Citron is fruit from the citrus family, similar to a lemon.

Citroën is the car.

8. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Apr 8 2006, 07:03 AM) [snapback]236745[/snapback]</div>
    Okay, sure. I remember my step-father's Oldsmobile back in the 50's. The key turned on the ignition, and the button operated the starter.

But I was asking if other cars use the SKS, allowing the car to be both turned on and started with a single keyless button.

9. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 8 2006, 01:27 PM) [snapback]236813[/snapback]</div>
    I believe the Cadillac has had a power button and some form of keyless since the CTS made it's debut, and I know the Corvette also has a start button.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, are we talking about start buttons in general or keyless types? Cause some like the S2000 and Bentley Continental GT (and even Ferraris) require you to stick the key into the ignition and turn the key to ON before press the nice red START button to start the car. To turn off, they turn the key to ACC just like a normal car. For that type, pretty much all high performance cars have them (Aston Martin, SLR McLaren, F360 Modena/F430, S2000 etc)

As for keyless type entry, Renault was the FIRST car manufacturer to implement this type of system back in 2001. They had a "Renault Card" which is the size of a credit card. That system was clumsy cause you had to push the card into the dash to start the car and pull out to stop it. Also, you had to bring the card in contact with the door handle.

Other cars with start buttons (SKS or no SKS but with electronic fobs that slot into the dash) include the Infiniti M35/45, BMW 3 Series, BMW 1 Series, BMW 7 series, Lexus LS460, Lexus GS sedans, Lexus GS450h, Lexus IS sedans, Lexus ES350, Toyota Avalon Limited, Toyota Camry XLE/Hybrid.

11. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Okay. But was there any car before the Prius that allowd you to unlock the car, get in, start it and drive it, without ever touching the key or taking it out of your pocket? I was under the impression that Prius was the first. But again, I know next to nothing about other cars.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yes. LS430, MB S-Class.