1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wash DC Auto Show ...some highlights (Murai, Spark)

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by wjtracy, Jan 24, 2015.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We have the DC Auto show here thru February 1st.
    So we hear daily highlights on the radio....

Toyota Murai was first thing talked about. Toyota was mostly stressing that the Murai could be used to power your house in an emergency. You could keep the garage door closed (no CO/CO2 hazard). Of course many here already do this with Prii except we have to worry about ventilation. I don't know if Murai is better than a Prius for amount of power to the home.

Chevy Spark will be sold in Maryland in 2015 as the first market in the East. Quoted was $18k cost after federal and state tax credits. Both MD and DC offer state incentives, I believe sales tax (6%) exclusion in both cases. DC tax credit applies to any car over 40 MPG CITY, whereas in MD the tax credit is EV battery size related. Of course federal $7500 tax credit applies.

#1 wjtracy, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i suppose if it explodes, it won't matter if it's inside the garage or out.:cool:

how does spark compare to other ev's available, anything unique, or just another player?

i wonder what the average autoshow participant is thinking when passing the murai booth. hmm, when pigs fly...

bwilson4web and austingreen like this.
  3. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that is a funny thing to stress at a DC auto show. What does it cost, maybe $4000 to set up the volt to power your house, and gasoline is everywhere. So the the Mirai advantage is for a lot more money you can buy a mirai, then wait for the government to build a hydrogen station by you? #epicfail

I can see this at the LA or Tokyo autoshow, but in DC people should go in and ask why not allow the prius phv to power the home like they do in Japan, then ask how long until Toyota builds a hydrogen station in your neighborhood.

Glad the spark is getting out of california and Oregon to a third state, but why only 3? #nonewshere Still not a major difference between this an the leaf. Come on Chevy do at least the ford strategy and let any dealer that wants them sell the spark ev.

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well as far as H2 stations in the area, good question, but DC does seem to sometimes get special stuff so legislators can try it. The only way I would try FCV is if DC did get some stations, and somebody loaned me a beta test FCV.

5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh DC had one but they closed it ;-)
    Hydrogen cars met with mix of excitement and skepticism in Washington - The Washington Post
    And there you have the ultimate in hyrdogen hype. If taxpayers pony up for the stations cars will come. Well tax payers came up with the money, and the cars didn't come, so they closed the stateions. NOw the ultimate in big balls for the Lawyers claiming htey need more money, they lie and pretend this time its coming so they need anouther 2 buckets of money per car to build the stations again.

Yes some idiot politicians will probably give the fuel cell lobby more money to open stations on the east coast, and then they will close again. Fool me once ....

bwilson4web likes this.