1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wash/Dry/Claybar/Pre-Wax/Sealant&Glaze/Wax = One Shiny Car

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tideland Prius, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So I've waxed the car twice a year (Mother's California Gold Paste Cleaner Wax) every since I bought the car but this is the first time I've claybarred it. I've also decided to use a sealant and glaze this time around. I let it cure for 24 hours before applying a layer of pure carnuba wax (Mother's Pure Carnuba Paste Wax).

Edit: Here are the products I used

Sundance Car Wash with carnuba wax (don't really buy into that wax bit)
    Microfibre cloth for drying (plus leaf blower for areas around the emblems and hard to reach places)
    Mother's Claybar Kit (might switch to Meguire's since I don't need the wax that comes with the Mother's kit)
    Mother's Pre-Wax Cleaner
    Mother's Sealant & Glaze
    Mother's Pure Carnuba Paste Wax (not the cleaner one! That one will undo what you've done if you added S&G)
    Some unknown brand of tyre shine spray (dad got a sample bottle that's unlabelled)

I'm not really a Mother's fan. It just happens that they're the most accessible products at Canadian Tire.

Here are the results:
    [attachmentid=10334]
    [attachmentid=10335]
    [attachmentid=10336]
    [attachmentid=10349]
    [attachmentid=10337]
    Tideland Pearl up close and personal for those who haven't seen the colour before. Note the difference in colour between the body and the bumper. The body is greyer and the bumper is greener.

Attached Files:

2. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    my monitor is playing tricks or something i have tideland pearl it looks NOTHING like that, WOW!

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's one heck of a nice looking Prius, TP.

I must never show those pictures to Priapus.
    Tideland truly is the greatest color. Right, Statultra?

4. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I get a shiny car going through the drive-through car wash.

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You just motivated me to pull out my Zaino from last year.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(statultra @ Aug 2 2007, 10:42 PM) [snapback]489815[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks statultra. Now you know the true beauty of the colour!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Aug 3 2007, 05:59 AM) [snapback]489886[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Aug 3 2007, 06:59 AM) [snapback]489904[/snapback]</div>
    hehe. There's shiny.. and then there's shiny B)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ Aug 3 2007, 07:01 AM) [snapback]489905[/snapback]</div>
    lol. Will Zaino beat that? ;)

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Very nice. My new order of Zaino just arrived. Will have to apply more. ;) This time I got the new "Grande Finale" Z8 as well as the new Z2 Pro with ZFX. Should be interesting. I'm also going to try their glass cleaner/polish.

Oh, yes, Zaino will beat that, but you have to have good eyes and be a fanatic to notice. Zaino, when applied correctly, makes the paint clearcoat look much "deeper".

Did you hear much "ticking" as the claybar removed "bonded contaminants"? Sure leaves the finish feeling smooth, doesn't it. As Pearl is new, she didn't need claybaring when I Zainoed in June.

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 3 2007, 11:43 AM) [snapback]489942[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know this year. It has collected some scratches and I haven't been washing it regularly. Zaino from the side (all 4 doors) are gone, probably due to salt during winter. I can still see Zaino when the rain beads on the roof and the windows. I will try my best to restore it. :)

These are pics from last year before the wood trim dash.
    [attachmentid=10343]
    [attachmentid=10344]

Attached Files:

9. h2photo

h2photo Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ive been trying to figure out what that color was! Thanks! We saw some on our trip & had no idea. looks great! I really need to wash mine, but not when its forcased for rain!

10. Green Hokie

Green Hokie Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 3 2007, 12:30 AM) [snapback]489796[/snapback]</div>
    Always wondered what the Tideland color looked like. Very nice color & shine!

I'm a bit of a detailing freak myself and prefer to use the Jeffs Werkstatt line of products over Zaino. Both are fantastic products... as are some others. However, I get essentially the same durability & shine as Zaino, but at a price that is 5 times less (Werkstatt Acrylic Jett Trigger vs Zaino Z-CS Clear Seal). Tough to beat it. If you're interested in finding out more, check out what all the detailing fanatics over on autopia.org have to say about both products.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Aug 3 2007, 09:01 AM) [snapback]489950[/snapback]</div>
    I claybarred and applied pre-wax cleaner (probably overkill but I figured I use the pre-wax since it's liquid and I might've missed something with my claybar). It wasn't too rough. My Prius is garaged at home and parked in the parkade for the last (almost) 3 years at school. The "roughest" part would be between the front door and the wheel well, above the mudguard.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ Aug 3 2007, 09:05 AM) [snapback]489952[/snapback]</div>
    B) love that reflection! Definitely shinier than my roof picture... unless I post my other roof picture :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(h2photo @ Aug 3 2007, 09:45 AM) [snapback]489983[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks! np. Most people haven't seen it cause it was out for 2 years and it's not that popular.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Hokie @ Aug 3 2007, 09:49 AM) [snapback]489988[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks! It'll be a while since my products are brand new (just replaced my first set of paste wax).

12. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well, it's -your fault- Tideland. Pearl now has a second coat of Zaino. Felt like a mad chemist mixing the ZFX in the Z2! ;) Two onces is actually too much to do one coat on a Prius. Only used about 1 1/2 oz.

Looks like I'll have to claybar her next year. Roof is a little rough from bonded contaminants. I'm trying the glass polish on the hatch glass outside. If it doesn't bead water I'll put it on the windshield as well. I'll post pics this weekend. Got a show and shine ("Hot August Nights" in St. Albert Alberta) on Sat. Prius isn't a hot rod or muscle car, but the car guys find it interesting anyway. Way of the future.

I was rather surprised at the improvement in the shine with the second coat. Much deeper. As I posted above, you have to look closely under the right conditions to see the difference. Hope I can capture it with the camera. I'll be preping her with Z8 "Grande Finale" at the show, so that should be interesting as well.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol. Two coats will get you more depth.

Yeah I'm tempted to put another coat of wax but it'll depend on how much time I have (esp. since my brother probably doesn't want to wax the car again so I'll have to do it myself which is time consuming).

But, with a single coat, I'm pretty happy.

Looking forward to your pictures!

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    David, any updates?

15. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 3 2007, 12:30 AM) [snapback]489796[/snapback]</div>
    WoW, Nice Shine!!
    Great Looking Car.

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  17. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 6 2007, 06:17 PM) [snapback]491616[/snapback]</div>
    I have the same issue with Zaino-ing Rudy.
    By the time we've washed him, dried him, and put on one layer, Dear Hubby just looks at me when I say, "Another coat or three will really deepen the shine."

Rae

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ Aug 14 2007, 07:26 PM) [snapback]495821[/snapback]</div>
    hahaha. Yeah I haven't gotten around to adding a second layer.. guess it's too late now. I'll just wash and keep the shine for now =).

19. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 14 2007, 08:50 PM) [snapback]495853[/snapback]</div>
    Never too late for a second coat. Just wash it well between coats and you can apply more "ordinary" wax ;) . With Zaino you wash, then spritz with Z6 and wipe dry in small sections, then apply a new coating.

I came down with a serious virus so didn't get a chance to go to the show and shine. Slowly recovering. Will post photos when I can. I tried out the Z8 "Grande Finale" in the garage, but was dizzy from the virus after 10 min of work so had to give up for now. It seemed to deepen the shine, but again, it's really hard to tell. To me, it seems lighter or "blander" colours don't show the shine depth as well as black and dark blue or red. Of course, the lighter "blander" colours don't show dust as well either. Driftwood Pearl is one of the bland colours for sure. When outside, even a light cloud cover hides the shine depth.

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ahh ok.

Yeah mine's.. sorta dark but not quite...