1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Washed the car at dusk - mosquito HELL

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by saminjax, Apr 10, 2008.

1. saminjax

saminjax Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This is how much I love the car. We have had a lot of rain the past few days and it was dirty - there was mud on it (the horrors!!). I couldn't stand it. Had to work late, but STILL washed the car when I got home. I have about 20 mosquito bites, but it was worth it (providing I haven't gone and caught west nile disease). :D

2. HuskerMedic

HuskerMedic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It's snowing in Nebraska. Wanna trade?

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Mosquitoes in Florida? Say it's not so! :p . . . the brite side? Eventually, there'll be a huricane that'll come along and blow 'em all away. I'm bad.

Yep, anywhere there's lots of water ... what can you do. My first trip to FL I notice a bunch of screened in patios every where we went. Makes perfect sense, now. Maybe park the car on the patio!.

4. xsmatt81

xsmatt81 non-AARP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    garage that sucker, or invest in a decent car cover. That's what i do..i cover the car every other day at least...sometime's I wont drive it for a few days though so it makes sense...it's a pita...but till i get my garage cleared out, will have to do...guess im anal.

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No guessing involved Matt. :boink:

Sam, might I suggest an investment in aeroguard insect repellent and avagoodweekend.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    They are the state bird here, although it's still way to cold at this time.

Tom

7. saminjax

saminjax Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Oh, I have a garage and I keep my precious in it. It can get kind of messy washing the car in it, though. :D It was dirty because I was driving it in the rain, got mud on it, then it was showered with pollen (in various parking lots).

8. saminjax

saminjax Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well, I do use repellents most of the time, but it doesn't seem to always help. Florida mosquitoes are just like, "Delicious, more please! Could you please add some cilantro?" I'll have to check out the Aeroguard kind...

Thanks and you avagoodweekend, too! :)

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What about the electric zappers that generate high voltage and kill bugs that get trapped within. Would that work in your locale?

10. saminjax

saminjax Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well, I would need about 50 of the things to completely surround the house (a bug zapper fence, perhaps). The noise alone would drive me to drink! This is Florida - our state bird should be the mosquito. Trust me, we won't be solving the Florida mosquito problem on PC and there's little that can be done to save us. It is our own fault, we moved into the mosquitoes' home - we think we own Florida, but it is really theirs.

The moral of this story is never wash your car at dusk (or go outside at all, barring screened areas). Dusk is prime feasting time for the mosquitoes. I was just so eager to have my car clean again, that I did it anyway. I haven't been able to make it home before dusk any night this week and I couldn't stand for the car to be dirty one more day. It is the fastest I have ever washed a car, though. I did it in 10 minutes flat.
    :whoo:Supa scrubba!!

Nevermind that I'm a walking pustule now - I have a clean Prius...:D

11. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    These don't work for mosquitoes. Mosquitoes are not attracted to light and meanwhile you're killing off mostly beneficial insects. These things should be outlawed.

12. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i'm more worried about all this damned pollen than mud... and yes, mosquitoes are bad here too... but water restrictions mean paying for the auto wash. can't do that right now.

sam, you'd go crazy here! :)

13. MadHungarian

MadHungarian Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Consider yourself fortunate--I would be more than happy to deal with a swarm of mosquitos while washing my car. But I can't. It hasn't been washed for as year, and may well not be washed for another, given the drought and watering restrictions we have here in the (metro) Atlanta reqion. Perhaps I will have to take it to a comercial car was and watch the rotating brushes do their thing with it's shinny black exterior--or search for one of those brushless-washes. But I really do prefer doing it myself--kind of a bonding experience.

14. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sam, have you got room for a little pond in your yard? Maybe you could stock it with dragonfly larvae, and then the mosquitos won't be quite so prolific. A few birdhouses might help, too. :frog:

15. A Prime Factor

A Prime Factor Formerly "I want my PHEV"

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Mosquitoes? I forgot about those things! We only get them a few months out of the year here. They should be coming out in a couple of months.

Hope you could see well enough to get the car clean!

16. A Prime Factor

A Prime Factor Formerly "I want my PHEV"

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Oh, and bats eat mosquitoes. I have a neighbor that has a bat house.

17. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  18. sendconroymail

sendconroymail One Mean SOB

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    They drive around my town with trucks spraying for the mosquito's, so we dont have any around here. Of course who knows what kinds of chemicals are in those trucks. The mosquito's might be better.

19. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine

Hi MadHungarian,

Living in the middle of Manhattan, I'm also water challenged --- no access to a hose, and no easy access to a car wash.

I've gotten pretty fond of using Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine. I can clean my car using only 2 buckets of water -- a wash bucket with the Optimum No Rinse solution in it, and a rinse bucket with clean water in it. And with its high polymer content, scratches and swirls are minimized. I think it's great stuff.

Here's the Optimum No Rinse website:

No Rinse Wash & Shine

Here are a couple of YouTube videos of a detailer using Optimum No Rinse:

20. MadHungarian

MadHungarian Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Boo: Amazing! I'll give it a try.