1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Washer Fluid troubles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Kevin Lester, Oct 19, 2023.

1. Kevin Lester

Kevin Lester Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Folks,

A couple of weeks ago I refilled our 2005's washer fluid tank, it sat in the garage, and the next day it was empty and there was a big puddle on the floor.

"Dang, it must be leaky"

Had time this week to investigate - took the fluid tank out - no breaks in the tank. Checked the lines - no breaks that I can see.

"Fine."

I reconnect and refill the tank. It sits. No leaking.

"Cool!"

I turn the car on, and pull/twist the dealeys - now neither of the sprayers will spray.

I check the connections and had my wife twist/pull the dealeys while I put my hand on the outlets/pump thinking I might feel them "trying" to pump - I feel nothing.

¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

Kinda weird to have them both die at once (front and rear), but, hey, we're over 300k on this car now, stuff is likely to go out.

So, now I'm thinking:
    1) I killed the pumps when removing/checking the tank somehow, or
    2) there's a problem with the connections, or
    3) the pumps died from being dry, or the lines can't re-pressurize, from being empty for a few weeks, or
    4) some forth mysterious cause (a wizard's curse?)

Anyone have any advice on what to check next? I suppose I could use a multimeter on the wires to make sure the problem isn't further up the chain, right?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Usually even if that tank has been left dry for a while and the washer fluid dries in the tank and even in the pump usually just filling it up with water or more Rain-X fluid allowing it to soak a little bit yields everything working You're twisting and the pumps not even making a sound is a little weird when was the last time they did work 5 years ago a year ago two days ago what's more common is the Jets where the water sprays from to the windshield get clogged up many times people will take a real skinny piece of wire and run that through the orifice where the water shoots out going backwards so going straight through the front of the nozzle where the water shoots onto the windshield towards the back of the car follow that with some air I usually have the hose disconnected so anything that blows out of this nozzle assembly winds up blowing onto the body or to the wiper tray not into the hose and then from the front of the car I take my airline and I unplug the hose and I blow through it and now whatever's in the hose should also blow into the wiper tray area where the hose is disconnected from the windshield sprayer same for the rear once I get that cleaned out then usually fluid will come out of the nozzles if I can get the pump running The pumps just push in to the washer jug into a grommet so you can take them out tap them against the ground run water through them blow a little air if you like You may get them working If not universal replacement are available pretty much everywhere I don't think they have to come from Toyota.

3. Primetime Paul

Primetime Paul Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you hear the pump running when you activate the squirters? The pump probably lost it's prime might need to hold it on for a little bit.

Pixel 7 Pro ?

4. Kevin Lester

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No sound from the pumps. Held it "on" for at least a full minute or more in case it needed to prime - nothing. :/

I'll check for a clog next. If I'm getting power at the connections AND it's not clogged, then I have to just have bad pumps, right?

Hmmm... I'll have to track down an air compressor.

If anyone has the part #s for these two pumps handy, you'd save me a few minutes of googling. ;)

5. Primetime Paul

Primetime Paul Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you're on the right track. Check voltage at the connector and if you do have voltage when they switches activated the pump is possibly bad or stuck.

Pixel 7 Pro ?

6. Kevin Lester

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all the responses, everyone! I'm hoping to put the ideas to good use... as soon as I figure out how to fix the mess I'm in with the ABS pump :/