1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Washington adopts California clean car standards

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Bob Allen, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hi: After a lengthy process and lots of hard work, we managed to pass a bill in the Washington State legislature that will bring Washington into compliance with the same clean car standards that California uses. Good news is that Oregon is poised to follow.
    Washington is the ninth state to adopt the California standards. The auto makers are suing to stop California from enforcing their law, arguing that it is a backdoor way of raising CAFE (combined average fuel efficiency) standards which is something only the federal government can do. California argues that it has the right to regulate sources of pollution within its borders. I don't know what the status of the lawsuit is.
    California, of course, leads in the registration of hybrids; Washington is third, after Virginia.
    What this legislation means is that Washington residents will now get the same priority in Prius deliveries that Californians enjoy. Toyota gives preference to California in allocating Prii because the standards there have created a stronger market for hybrids. I would imagine Honda is doing the same thing.
    This is really exciting news, though, because it helps create a national consensus for higher mileage standards and cleaner cars in the absence of the federal government doing anything. Since Congress and the Pres are in bed with big oil and completely cowed by the auto makers, it's up to the states and local jurisdictions to act on their own.
    Sadly, Toyota joined with the other auto makers in the suit against this bill. Apparently, they are making too much money from Tundras, Siennas, and RAV 4's.
    Bob
    p.s. I'm posting this in both the hybrid news forum and the environmental forum.
    p.p.s. write to your state legislators and ask why your state isn't pushing for higher efficiency and lower emissions.

2. Greyskye

Greyskye New Member

Sweet!

Helloooo Ecotopia! :mrgreen: