1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wasn't a day for taxes.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by rick57, Feb 21, 2005.

1. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yesterday was just not a good day for taxes. I was doing them on the PC(Turbotax) and got up to go look for another paper. Upon returning, I turned and started to sit back down. I forgot I had lowered the seat and it was lower then I thought. And guess what? I pulled the muscles in my lower back. It is very painful :cussing: sometimes to get up and walk. My wife makes fun of me when I try to roll over on the floor to get up. Went to the DR. this afternoon and got some muscle relaxers. Stayed off work today but plan on trying tommorow. Wish me luck :D

2. tag

tag Senior Member

Is there ever a good day for taxes? :wink:

At least we have three good defendants here; U.S. Treasury Department, Intuit, and, uh, what was the name of the chair manufacturer?

Anyway, I hope you recover quickly, Rick, and without too much pain. The last time something like that happened to me, it wasn't a whole lot of fun. Further, although the muscle relaxers worked (kind of), the pills were a bit hard to swallow, being only slightly smaller than the size of my fist.

3. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

I believe you have to have the permission of the federal government to sue it.

The unsympathetic spouse? Throw her in for emotional trauma, withdrawal of support, etc.

4. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Feeling much better tonight. This morning was a different matter tho. Was still in pain,but not as bad as yesterday. Didn't go in today and I'm sure my ASM is a little upset. Today was a 40G,so I have that to do tomorrow.. Will just have to get help removiing battery. My wife went to work,so I had house to myself and no funny jokes at my problem. My mother-in-law was over last night,her back goes out at times, and told me after the first time you have to be careful because it will return. Hope she is wrong,not much fun,if you ask me. :cry:

5. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well, I gave you back your Prius Master Tech rank, so hopefully that will help you feel better :)

6. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

submit the Dr. bill to get your refund!

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Rick:

I hurt my lower lumbar around 15 years ago due to improper lifting technique when I was cleaning a large amount of s*** out of my garage. So it was entirely self-inflected.

It took almost 2 weeks before my back felt better, though I have to admit the meds helped a *lot.* There are exercises you must do to keep your back healthy, talk to your physical therapist and/or chiropractor. I do my exercises in the morning when I wake and again at night before turning in.

I still get a twinge when it's brutally cold, like it has been all of this winter. The exercise doesn't always make the twinge go away. Although it's tempting to apply heat (Hot tub or hot pack), do *not* do that. The increased circulation will make it *worse* .

Try an ice pak for 1-2 minutes, then lay on the floor for 5-10 minutes. Getting up is the worst, I find a barrel roll sort of manoeuver where I roll onto my stomach and then use my arms to push myself up near a wall.

For the twinge that may linger, I've found Arthrotec works best, if your stomach can handle it. As far as your missus, short of a divorce I guess you just have to grin and bear it.

8. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman\";p=\"67048)</div>
    So I should not use the heating pad when I'm laying on the floor,Jerry? Thats what I have been doing. Lying on the floor does help,but then I go to work(went back Wed) and it bothers me all day.Just can't stay home for it to get better,faster. People I talk to say that once you have back trouble,you have it from then on. S#@ :cussing:

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Rick:

I know the heat may feel a *lot* better in the short term but you're actually making it worse. Trust me on this, try an ice pak first. I speak from experience you'll cringe when you apply the ice, but long-term you will heal quicker.

Don't forget about the exercises either. Your physical therapist and/or chiropractor will recommend low-impact back exercises that will condition your lumbar muscles and reduce the possibility of future back episodes.

The few times I've gotten lazy and let a month or two slip by on my back workout, my back has gone out on me. It was like I had an ice pick embedded in my lumbar.

And yes, sorry to say, but once you injure your back, it appears to be a lifelong thing.

10. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the title update and the points. Even without them,I think the members enjoy me being here :wink: And I am feeling better tonite,thanks.

11. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    B.S.!!!

Rick,

I felt your pain man! We are the same age. About three years ago I had the same thing happen to me. The pain killers were a godsend. It reoccurred several times over the next two years . . . what a pain! A year ago my wife talked me into taking a beginners yoga class with her. I have not had as much as a twinge in my back since!

A beginners class is usually a series of one class a week for several weeks - mine was five weeks. After the first class my legs, hips and back felt very stretched out and limber. Walking out to the car felt weird. I really looked forward to the rest of the classes. I could feel myself getting stiffer a few days prior to the next class. I am by no means a yoga fanatic, but I now do yoga maybe three or four times a month at home.

I Googled yoga and Columbus and found this place . . . not that I am recommending them in particular . . . but just to give you an idea of the type of place I would consider.

http://www.itsyogacolumbus.com/classes/spe.../beginners.html

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Patrick:

As I stated, once you injure your back, it's something you have to manage the rest of your life. Otherwise it's very easy to have it happen again.

If I don't keep up with my back exercises, my back easily goes out. I sure don't want to depend on pills to cope either.