1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Waste to Energy in Colorado

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tripp, Mar 4, 2009.

1. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I cam across this neat article on RenewableEnergyWorld.com. The question I have is how much more can we squeeze out of our various waste streams? There is so much waste in our society that we could produce a lot of energy to the back side. Of course, the proper way forward is to stop wasting so bloody much. That will save a lot of energy up front, which is far more efficient than utilizing loads of unnecessary waste on the back end of the life cycle. However, some waste is inevitable so we should work it for all it's worth.

Full Article

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I wish you wouldn't talk about squeezing out waste streams. :hand:

Tom

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Those of us on high fibre diets and with healthy GI tracts tend to squeeze out more waste streams than others

I really wish more animal waste would be turned into methane and then into energy. It's an absolutely s*** idea - in a very literal sense - to have animal s*** end up in lagoons and then onto fields,

That sort of fertilizer is so strong it tends to burn crops, not help them grow

Not only do digester systems get rid of the vast majority of animal sewage odor, the methane production allows the farm to be completely self sufficient wrt electricity needs.

Combine the sewage digester methane with a combined heat and power system - aka cogen - and you take care of all the winter heating needs too.

The stuff left over from digester is much more appropriate as fertilizer, not near as stinky either. For the most part, the same approach can be applied to human sewage

Why more aren't applying this, is completely beyond my understanding

4. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    probably because they're unaware of the possibilities. It seems to be gaining some traction on farms, but there are so many other areas where this technology (which is anything but novel) can be applied.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    So you've read my avatar :p

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It did give me the idea

7. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

NBC (I think it was) had a bit on Pork Projects on the evening news. The first one they picked on was Pig Manure in Iowa - 1.8 million to deal with it. Hell, it should ge 180 million!!If that is not the biggest wasted source of energy between the Mississippi and Misouri rivers, I do not now what is!! Every livestock farm should have a massive digester, and a line to the Natural Gas distribution network. NBC is wacko!! If you have ever driven past a Pig farm, you know its up ahead about 1 mile (NO EXAGERATION) away, and its is nasty!! Oil Refineries have NOTHING on Pig farms.

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Truly retarded.

So it's ok to just dump all that pig s*** into leaky, overflowing lagoons, and let it migrate into surface and subsurface water sources?

I've said it before and will say it again: the ROI for animal sewage digestion (Methane production) is under 5 years, usually under 3 years.

Once digested, the resulting sludge is MUCH reduced in volume, is nowhere near as stenchy, and much safer to spread on fields and such.

A lot of folks, apparently those at NBC, have no clue that to make it easier to clean up the manure, pig barns have subfloors, with grating above for the critters to walk around and poop on. The subfloor is inclined and has water running, think ancient Roman public restroom.

So they have to deal with a huge water volume of liquid pig s*** waste. Hence the need for giant sewage lagoons, which are often poorly constructed

9. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
  10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Nice, very nice!

Another way to turn waste into something useful: a neighbor of mine near my hobby farm has a pellet stove. I'm a bit leery of burning what should be valuable fiber products, but it would just be disposed of anyway

Nice dry heat too

11. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Idiots. They don't have a bloody clue. If this plant in CO can generate 125,100 MWh/yr then there are vast amounts of energy to be had in places like Iowa.

12. miggs

miggs New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

To answer your question, here's how it works. The average power plant in the U.S. is about 34% efficient. The other two-thirds of the fuel gets wasted, mainly in the form of waste heat that's vented out of the smokestacks. Then once the power goes to manufacturers, they waste still more energy by sending their waste heat up the smokestacks, too. The solution is something called energy recycling, which takes this waste heat and turns it into clean power and steam. I'm associated with Recycled Energy Development, the leading company in this area. And according to EPA and DOE studies, more energy recycling would slash greenhouse gas emissions by 20% in the U.S. That's as much as if we removed every passenger vehicle from the road. Much more of this needs to be done.

13. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We need a forward-looking, promethian (consequential) perspective on "waste." Germany has led the way with "pre-cycling" eliminating waste before it enters the waste stream.

One example is our approach to carbon credits. Carbon credits are like putting a humidifier in a room, then putting a dehumidifier in as well to offset the effects.

This can be expanded to efficiency in housing and transportation - major energy factors in the US. Increasingly farmers have a connect with dairies and feed lot operations - using manure locally in vineyards, tree fruit and residential compost operations. Schools and businesses are installing photovoltaic systems where employees can plug in during work - offering an incentive for PHEVs or, under current federal law, offering $20 month for riding your bicycle to and from work.

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm a big fan of Combined Heat and Power - CHP - which is also known as "co-gen"

Almost every industry has need for heat: eg steam production, process batch reactor heating, etc. Traditional boilers and recovery boilers can be easily supplemented with CHP to dramatically reduce energy consumption, improve efficiency, etc etc

However, I also feel that it would be more efficient for me to just bang my head against the wall than to convince decision makers - AKA "The Old Boys Club" - that CHP actually does work

:frusty:

Ow. I need a drink

15. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's quite interesting, Miggs. I think the Norwgians have done some waste heat recovery, but from waste water, not power plants. I know of a few ethanol plants that have been located next to power plants to use this low grade heat resource. It's a good idea. We certainly need to revise the way we look at waste. The current "economic downturn" will hopefully do this on an individual level. We need to do it on a larger scale. It's starting to happen, but greater awareness is what's really needed.

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This "low grade heat source" is another example of CHP

17. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

Have to commend Toyota for putting a CHP feature in the 2010 Prius. Although, I still hate the center console!!