1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Watch out Toyota - competition...

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by DeanFL, Mar 24, 2011.

1. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just happened to park next to a 2011 Hyundai Elantra today and took a look at it. Hyundai has come a long way the last 5 years and the Elantra is the latest. Happened to be a red/tan (like my '10 Prius V). And a very sharp looking vehicle.
    But what brought out my envy was its interior. Very nice modern styling with great textures, class, and eye appeal. The Prius interior is so B L A N D in comparision. This has been the weak spot of the '10 Prius IMO. For the price, Toyota could/should have invested more attention to 'inside class'. The interiors colors are so bland and the materials are cheap and plastic. And the respective creaks and squeaks. I was dissapointed to see the '11 be a complete carryover from the '10.
    I have one of the first '10s, delivered in June 09. Mind you, I am very happy with my Prius, and Hybrid/50mpg is nice payback. Virtually troublefree.

BUT.... for the $28K I paid... the MPG delivered in a car as the Elantra at many thousands less... with the added styling, materials, quality, etc.... like I said competition, perhaps not direct - but a matter of time till Toyota has some very serious direct Hybrid competition against the Prius. They'd better watch their rearends...

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The Elantra gets 29 MPG city, the Prius gets 51 MPG city according to the EPA testing procedure.

There were no pictures of any cargo area on the web site.

3. bretaz

bretaz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hyundai poses more of a threat to GM, Ford and Chrysler. I looked at the Elantra at the LA auto show. It was around $21,000.00. It was a no brainer to purchase the Prius for $20,000.00 over the Elantra. Hyundai has come a long ways in the last 25 years. The Sonata and Elantra are really nice. But in my opinion, I would rather shell out a few thousand more and get the Toyota.

4. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Elantra is a compact sedan, the Prius is a mid-size. The Sonata Hybrid costs about the same as the Prius, has about 30 more bhp, but gets 35/40.

I think a lot of car manufacturers have figured out that most peoples' buying criteria stop at the interior, and have started to focus on that. I think a lot of the JD Powers winners will be breaking down per the normal rate once the fleet gets some miles on it.

5. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I disagree completely. I'm a longtime Toyota fan, but I think Hyundai is just plain building a better car nowadays for less. I'd certainly buy an Elantra over a Corolla, and I wouldn't even consider a Camry over a Sonata. Sportage or Santa Fe VS the Rav 4? No contest...

I think Toyota faces serious threats from GM, Ford & Chrysler personally. IMHO I don't think Toyota makes one product right now that theres not a better built and equipped, and cheaper competitor from Hyundai, Ford or GM.

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I actually agree with you. Shocker huh? lol

In terms of fuel efficiency, as the OP claimed, I would say these manufactures pose no threat to the Prius. I think the is confusing highway MPG with average MPG. I can understand the confusion since the media can't seem to get it right either and continue to claim the Fiesta, Elantra, and Cruze are similar to the Prius in terms of MPG (33mpg avg. vs. 50mpg avg.). It's a ridiculous claim but people believe it nonetheless. :rolleyes:

That being said, if I was in the market for compact I would consider the Hyundai or Ford and if I was looking for a sedan I would snatch up a new Sonata in a red hot second.

7. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Elantra with a 6 speed stick and the popular package (air, cruise, etc) is 16,800. It can be driven to Prius-level mpg on the highway.

For a mostly highway driver with a tighter budget up front, it is a whale of a car.

Not trading my Prius for it, though. But maybe the CR-V or the Fit.

The Sonata is too big to really excel in town, even the hybrid, but is a luxurious and fuel stretching highway cruiser.

See cleanmpg for what Wayne Gerdes has done with both in the past year.

And the smaller Accent gets redone ala the Elantra/Sonata styling and tech for 2012, so that will be another fine option.

8. TheSpoils

TheSpoils Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was considering the Sonata hybrid to replace my aging 2007 NAH. With a top ev speed of 74 mph !!! WOW, too bad they went with a 6 speed and not an ecvt, FE would probably be around 70-80 mpg. Would be nice to get an owners feedback on the Sonata Hybrid...

9. avocadoman1

avocadoman1 Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    the sticker price on a totally loaded 2011 Elantra (w/ moonroof, leather, Navigation) is $22,700. it gets 40mpg on hwy and prob close to 35mpg combined if you drive it gently to maximize your mpg.

a totally loaded Prius 5 w/ tech package is $35,000 before dealer mark-up...

that's an extra $12,000 worth of gas or 3,000 gallons @ $4/gallon or an additional 105,000 miles @ 35mpg.

hard to argue with that!

10. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

Corolla with a stick will get better real life mileage than that Elantra... just check fueleconomy.gov.

lots of ex toyota drivers on elantra forums complaining how they cant reach advertised mpg and that their old corolla/yaris got better mpg.

1 person likes this.
  11. Papagoose

Papagoose New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Hyundai Elantra and Sonata are great-looking cars and every car manufacturer should keep an eye on these two.

Both Hyundai and Kia are putting out some beautiful, quality cars right now. I love my Prius, but I think the best looking car on the road is the 2011 Kia Optima and I am seriously considering buying an Optima Hybrid to replace my Kia Sorento later this year.

12. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

why would you compare V to Elantra?

Well... I guess V is a deal compared to 50k HS250h then :)

13. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

i like new Sportage and Optima... a lot! I think their next gen models will be even better and solve little things currently models still need to work on.

14. GBC_Texas_Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I bit on this and took a web look at the 2011 Elantra to see if I missed out on a better car. The Elantra is a traditional 4 door sedan. I really wanted a five door. Still consider the main non-hybrid choices to the Prius as being the diesel Volkswagen Sportswagen and the Mazda 5 door.

If considering a traditional 4 door, I would have looked at the Camry hybrid or the Ford/Mercury hybrids.

15. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Here they are closer to $17,000 with usually $500 or so off available. A Prius is $23k+. While most people are not going to cross shop an Elantra with a Prius as they are in different size and price classes, the Prius is not a no brainer over the 2011 Elantra. If you need highway MPG more then city and the $6000 extra is better used elsewhere the Elantra is the deal.

16. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I agree.

The Corolla and Cruze are most threatened by the Elantra. Honda has a new Civic for 2012 and it does compete more effectively against the Elantra then the others.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what is this hyundai hybrid some are talking about? are they on the lot? can i buy one? i haven't heard any news.

18. bretaz

bretaz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I paid a little over 20k for my Prius. A $6,000 difference would put the Elantra in the $14,000.00 range. I don't think you can get any Elantra for $14,000.00. I am sure my Prius will retain more of its value than an Elantra after several years as well. Thats before you even consider the size difference and MPG difference. Lets face it, most people are not going to be doing all highway driving.

Would I consider an Elantra over a Corolla. Quite possibly. But I certainly wouldn't pay more for it.

19. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the way it looks.
    Hyundai Sonata Hybrid : Hyundai

20. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid