1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water Bubble sound when pressing brakes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by GigaTigga, Nov 15, 2010.

1. GigaTigga

GigaTigga New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone, i have a 05' prius with 106k miles on it that i got a few weeks ago. I tried searching for this around here but was unsuccessful at finding a thread about it.

When i am sitting stopped and the ice is shut down and i have the brake pressed i hear something of a "blub blub blub" like fluid going through some sort of tube or something. It seems to be related only to when holding the brake at a stop. I wasn't sure if this was a normal sound or not. The brakes function ok and the sound goes away when i release the pedal. It isn't related to the inverter compressor as that seems to buzz and stop as one would expect. I haven't had a chance to hold the pedal while listening under the hood but it seems to be coming from the area around the ice under the hood.

Any thoughts on what this might be? :confused:

Thanks for the responses

2. JayGoldstein

JayGoldstein Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Or the brakes were bled improperly after changing their fluid. Bleeding them requires special tools and procedures.

4. GigaTigga

GigaTigga New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It doesn't sound like a click noise, but a distinct bubble sound. How would I know if the brakes were bleed improperly? I believe part of the maintance done to the car right before I bought it was a brake service, done by the dealership

DROID2 ?

5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Sounds to me like the brake pressure pump. The brakes on a Prius don't use "vacuum assist", they use hydraulic assist, and there is a pump that generates the hydraulic pressure. It sounds as you describe. It should only run for a few seconds. If it runs continuously, take the car to a Toyota dealer. DO NOT use "Midas" or other non-Toyota dealer shops for brake work! The Prius has a specialized brake system most of them won't be able to fix properly.

If it does run continuously, take it back to the dealer that did the work. They may have left some air in the system.

6. GigaTigga

GigaTigga New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    should it run for a few seconds every time you put the brakes on?

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    It could. Usually it take a few press' on the brake pedal to "use up" the accumulated hydraulic pressure. It should run for a few seconds then stop, as you hold the pedal down. If you then press the pedal again, it -should- be quiet, until you press it a few times. It may be the brake pads have too much play in them.

If it runs every time take it back to the dealer that did the work. It probably isn't right.

8. GigaTigga

GigaTigga New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the replies, unfortunetly the dealer just made verbal mention they did the work prior to selling it so I'm pretty sure ill be out any money that they charge to do the job over again. Ill test it tonight and pay more attention to if I hear it every time and if it dies off or not. Thanks for the info!

DROID2 ?