1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water in 12 Volt Battery Compartment...Unrelated to Horrible Smell?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Absentminded, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Absentminded

Absentminded Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK, I've been reading a lot about this problem occurring in the pre 2010 prius where there is a crack around the hatch that fills the 12V battery well with water. About a month ago, I started getting a whiff of something rotting. A mix of the dead smell and rotting fruit. I was certain one of my kids left some food in the car or something got in the HVAC vent. As time has gone by, the odor has changed to more of a rotting leaves kind of smell.

I got out my shopvac and a snake camera. I went through the HVAC system and found that the filter was pulled back a bit. I replaced it on the spot. I found a few leaves and dust and that was it. The air coming from the vents from the outside smells clean. There were lots of wet leaves in the engine bay, but it wasn't the problem.

I started tearing apart the trunk because sometimes stuff spills into the tire well. I found the spare tire had turned brown on the tread.

I opened the battery compartment and found about an inch of standing milky white water. The kicker here is that the water didn't seem to smell that bad! I dried it all up and bleached the metal to kill any mold that might be in the residue...but the odor remains. The car smells awful!

I have torn apart the back of the car but I cannot find the source of the leak. I actually think it was from the car wash or going through a puddle and water got in the rear vent. The battery fender vent vanes were flapping with gusts of wind today, but even after a heavy rainstorm no new water has gotten in.

The car was hit in the parking lot and the rear fender moved about an 1/8th of an inch from the bumper, but there are no obvious signs of water entry anywhere... in fact, I was even suspicious that it might have come from the battery itself, but I didn't touch it (used paper towels on a snake to dry it up under there). I didn't think to try baking soda to see if it was an acid, which makes bleach pretty stupid to use...but I didn't see any foaming.

TL;DR Found water in my 12V battery compartment. My car smells like nice person. Cleaning out water did not improve smell. Nothing in HVAC system, it is only clean air source in car. No signs of water ingress above 12v battery well. After rainstorm, no additional water found in battery well. Fender vent flaps in gusty wind, but still no new water.

Any ideas here? I am at a loss as to where else to look for bad smells. Do I need to try to look under the hybrid battery too? I theorize that the liquid either came from the battery itself or from crossing a flooded road a year ago. (it was only deep enough to lap against plastic undercarriage at front bumper)

2. Dion Kraft

Dion Kraft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Some types of water can and will leech into the metal depending on the content of penetration it can do. Your best bet is to primer and paint all areas of water intrusion. That is pretty much covering up the problem not eliminating it mind you. While painting those areas leave out the spare tire and put it out in the sun. Tire probably needs a good cleaning as well. Maybe paint on rim also.

3. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    About the stench of stagnant water, have you checked under the floor carpet in the rear passenger dwell, or the front as well? it has been occasions of cracked floor pans and splashed water seep trough the cracks. Also there is a large rubber plug under the rear seats that could cause similar problem.

#3 mrbigh, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    everything cool under the seats and hybrid battery compartment?

5. tllee

tllee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2010 has the same problem. I found the leaking spot is on the tail lamp rubber seal, after I took out rear inner panels ,I found that 2 nuts hold the tail lamp are quite loose(I can hand-turn it)!! What a Toyota workmanship! For peace in my mind, I wasn't just tighten up those 2 nuts, I removed whole tail lamp(pain in the nice person job, the clips on the lamp is too big, you can't just pull it out,you will break the lamp,so much for the Toyota quality).
    I bought the weather rubber seal from Home Depot and seal the surrounding areas of 2 tail lamp socket openings,then put tail lamp back and tighten that 2 nuts to spec. It seem fine now( I poured a lot of water on it and didn't see any leak). Hope this could help you figure out your problem.

Prius_Gnome likes this.
  6. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    This is the first time I see a complaint about a fault for workmanship at this level, always there is a first time.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    must have been beer day at the factory.:cool:

8. tllee

tllee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Are you serious? First time? I saw something much worst on my Lexus.....Not just workmanship. I guess that you won't understand, if 2 loose nuts are not enough to persuade you. My experience of old Toyota(1980s)is good, but it's getting worse ever since. If it's not for my cousin(he need to leave country), I won't have this Prius.

9. Absentminded

Absentminded Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Found it! I don't know how I missed it. There was water damage inside the fender liner. Pic 1
    I traced it to the tailight. The nuts were loose and the foam rubber seals were ruined. Crazy for a 6 yr old car! A pile of leaves and muck had accumulated and was directing water inside the car. There is another storm on the way, so I had to do a quick fix and used RTV silixone to make a temporary gasket.
    Thanks for the input all. IMG_20160108_160852680_HDR.jpg IMG_20160108_160839851.jpg

Attached Files:

wjtracy likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nailed it.(y)

11. tllee

tllee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Happy that my solution also apply to your problem. I also like to indicate the flaw design from Toyota since your clear picture of the tail lamp removed.Don't you think the angle of the curved body is act like a small pool when debris accumulate under it? Also the 2 openings for lamp sockets are way too big, Toyota can use a better quality rubber seal to compensate those problems but they choose the cheaper way. That's why I lost my confidence on Toyota, hey, save a dollar or two look a lot to them, what else can I expect from them? I know that a dollar may mean 10 millions to them(Toyota sold that many vehicles around the world yearly), but think the opposite way, how much already made by them? Customer's satisfaction is how they become today and shall bring more business to them(i.e. money to them).

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    in all fairness, they have some of the best reliability of all manufacturers, this issue aside. no one is perfect, and it's no fun when it happens to you.