1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water in 12V Battery Well

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bikeman, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Bikeman

Bikeman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So I'm scratching my head over this one. My 12V battery just failed and when I replaced it I found water in the bottom of the well. My Prius lives outdoors, had snow on the roof. My first thought was that the water was getting in at the tail light, but on further examination I could actually see and feel water trickling vertically down the inside of the quarter panel straight into the well. The only entry points I can see as possibilities are the rear window or the body seam in the roof, but both would require the water to flow horizontally towards the rear of the car before going vertically into the well where I observed it. If the water got in at the roof seam I would envision it getting into the interior, unless there are additional internal panels that would divert it. Looking for ideas on this one!

2. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  4. Bikeman

Bikeman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks very much for the lead. Sure sounds like mine. I'll be working on it today and let you know what I find. Fortunately, I think I caught it early. There was maybe 1/2" of water and it was very clear, and no rust at all. I popped out a rubber grommet in the floor of the well to let the water drain out.

5. Bikeman

Bikeman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just finished checking for cracks and found a hairline crack just behind the clip for the body seam molding on BOTH sides. It's obvious that there is sufficient body flex to eventually crack the caulk and paint. I cleaned it thoroughly and put a bead of clear silicone over it. I do not think using paint would be a good fix as it is brittle. I checked the passenger side well too and found water there. I think this is an issue all owners of older Prius' should be aware of, as this is a long term maintenance issue. Thanks to all for the feedback that helped me identify this.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Silicone won't last 2 days unfortuneately because as you stated there is body flex going on. You will never see silicone used anywhere in a car as a sealant.

Your going to have to use the stuff I linked thats made especially for this application.

And please post pictures to help the next guy. Thank you.

7. Bikeman

Bikeman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good for you! That's the stuff. Do a little test with it first on something other than the car to get the hang of applying it as its a pain to work with. Its very sticky.
    But when dry will seal any water leak on a car.
    And any auto store sells dewaxer/bug remover in a spray can. Clean the area real good with that wax remover before applying Eastwood as the Eastwood will not stick to a waxed or rusty area.

Good luck and pics when you can. Thanks.

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like gutter sealant should work just as well.