1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water in New EGR Cooler/EgR/4th intake

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by collers9640, Dec 16, 2023.

1. collers9640

collers9640 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I installed a brand new EGR Cooler while I was cleaning the intake manifold and since then have high fuel trim issues.

Last night I was installing a new EGR and intake manifold when I discovered clear water in the EGR, EGR pipe, 4th cylinder intake port, and droplet in the Egr.

I cleaned everything and installed new parts.
    Fuel trim is staying above 12-14 at mid throttle.
    I’m going to remove EGR again to check for water.

Anyone else ever had water in their EGR.

2. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After washing those components, you need to let them dry before reinstalling them.

3. bdc101

bdc101 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I haven't taken apart a ton of EGRs coolers, but I can say that water vapor is a major constituent of exhaust. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if you had some amount of condensation in the EGR, because the cooler is lowering the temperature of the gas and it probably condenses some degree of liquid out of it. I can't say I am confident in that statement but it's something to consider.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A few water droplets are common in my experience.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As bdc101 mentioned also, the main things in exhaust are carbon dioxide and water. Whenever the cooler/valve/pipe/manifold are not all well warmed up, there can be clear water condensing there.

One of the ways a Gen 3 can have a loud startup rattle that isn't head gasket is the one that only happens when the last use of the car was very brief and the engine started but never warmed up. On the next start there can be enough clear condensed water in the manifold EGR passages that it gets snorted into the cylinders on the initial start.

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    This is what I tell both the two gen three drivers here on the property when you fire the car up make it worth your time go for a 25 minute ride I don't care smoke a cigarette whatever it is you're going to do but don't run from here down to the gas station grab a pack of cigarettes and run back here to the house You might as well go for a drive for 20 more minutes Why not You already got out in the cold to get in the car now it's warmed up You might as well ride a few minutes The gas isn't the point the engine is getting 46 miles to the gallon you can afford a 20 minute ride to keep your engine from condensating and rattling itself to death I would assume that's going to cost you 5K when time comes.

7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    This is why my red solar roof car is sitting at 365,000 and didn't get its first rattle until I posted that here a couple weeks ago by summer time the head gasket will let go full rip and it'll be done.

8. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Another hypothetical cause of water in EGR passage, is leakage within the cooler (heat exchanger) between the exhaust passage and its internal coolant path. That would be a gross defect, unlikely in a new genuine OE cooler. That would be easy to check with cooler off car.

Whether that water is related to the fuel trim isn't clear to me. Suggest checking for vacuum leaks resulting from the EGR change.

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That water would be pink and smell like Super Long Life Coolant.

The water you get from exhaust being water isn't pink; it's just clear water that condensed from hot vapor to liquid.

10. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Which might be overlooked if the volume is not sufficient to make that distinction obvious.

11. collers9640

collers9640 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah I consider the new EGR cooler possibly having an internal leak so I started watching the reservoir but it hasn’t dropped some I’m ruling that out.

CR94 likes this.