1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

water in rear view mirrors streaks on car

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cycledrum, Nov 24, 2008.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, here's a weird one -

I think water puddles up behind the mirrors in the rear-view mirror cases when bucket washing / hosing down the car. Several hours after drying my car, when I drive it, the water will get sucked out then streak on the driver and passenger front doors.

Next time I might spray some compressed air around edges of mirror to blow the water out.

I bought some Maguier's Quik Mist and Wipe detailer, you know, the between waxing stuff. It worked very well for eliminating the water streaks and spots, used along with a microfiber polishing cloth.

anyone else noticed the water streaking issue from mirrors onto doors?

2. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey, nice job on getting the Meguiars QD. I would recommend the UQD instead though, it has all the properties of the Original QD except is has hydrophobic properties which help water sheet off.

This is normal. I had this problem on my 05 Tundra with folding mirrors as well as my Prius. Our 2007 Camry and 2007 Infiniti G35 Coupe don't have this problem. I should also mention those cars dont have folding mirrors.

3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, Ultimate Quik Detailer. I looked at that one too, but decided to save $4. :rolleyes:

It was 4 hours or so between drying and driving. Not diggin' that streaking, so I'll come up with a solution.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    haha ALWAYS.

Either from inside the mirror case or from the joint (where the mirror folds). Sometimes from the screw on the bottom side of the joint.

My solution? OCD drying with a cloth or use a leaf blower to blow dry the car. Excessive? yes but if I'm waxing right after, I wanna make sure no water will drip out from the emblems, the rear plinth, behind the rear licence plate, mirrors, fuel cap door and door frames.