1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water inside door?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by KCobby, Jan 17, 2010.

1. KCobby

KCobby Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    So I have the inside door panels off in front as I've been working on installing new speakers. But today when it was raining hard, I went into the car to check out another issue. That's when I heard "drip...drip...drip..."

I couldn't figure it out until I noticed that the water was coming in off the window and dripping onto the speaker! Luckily I covered the speaker with a baffle for that very reason, but should the inside of my door be getting drips like that? It was a lot and steady. I still worried about the speaker too.

I realize that the door does get moisture inside - hence the drain holes at the bottom. But this seemed excessive. Should I be worried about the seals around the window? Is there something else I should check?

It's an 05 if that makes any difference.

Thoughts??

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Water can -pour- into doors via the windows. That's why there are plastic sheets in there to control it. That's also why there are drain holes in the bottom of the door. When you install speakers in a door, you -must- install plastic sheet to control where the water may drip.

3. KCobby

KCobby Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, I agree that there needs to be some protection in there, but are you saying the existing plastic sheet does that? I'm not so sure.

That wouldn't have stopped the water dripping on the speaker magnet. But perhaps you're saying that a new sheet needs to be fabricated when you install new speakers for this reason?

Obviously, I'll need to do something - that just wasn't right. But the passenger side seems pretty dry - I guess that is why I wondered if I should be looking for a leak of some sort.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you notice a big difference between the two sides, then maybe the driver's side window gasket is worn (say if you are in the habit of opening & closing that window much more than on the front passenger side) and needs to be replaced.