1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water leak in cabin!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mattlach, Oct 18, 2006.

1. mattlach

mattlach New Member

My girlfriends 2004 Prius has defeloped a water leak under the glove compartment that runs into the passenger foot well.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Googling, I found a Toyota TSB for the Camry/Avalon that has a similar problem due to insufficient weather sealing in the engine compartment. Could this be related?

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    being a 2004, it's probably still covered under the 3 year warrent (unless she drives a LOT) - I'd just take it to the dealer and see what they say

3. mattlach

mattlach New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 18 2006, 12:17 PM) [snapback]334497[/snapback]</div>
    She seems to be of the opinion that it was no longer under warranty, and I haven't looked into it. At what milage does the warranty run out?

Thanks,
    Matt

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    i believe it's 3 years/36,000 miles - if you call the dealer, they can tell you if you're still covered under warrenty.

FWIW, i've never gone wrong getting an extended warrenty - my last car i sucked out over 3x the cost of the warrenty in repairs.

5. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mattlach @ Oct 18 2006, 11:51 AM) [snapback]334473[/snapback]</div>
    One other item to consider (if it seems to happen when it is not raining) is does it happen only with the A/C on (or defrost too)? It could be the condensate drain is plugged somehow. Being a 2004 I would not yet (because it's a 2004) suspect the A/C slime that sometimes builds up in the condenser pans but maybe a mud dauber wasp or some other insect clogged the drain. It's not that common but I have seen it happen to other automobiles I have owned in the past.

Rick
    #4 2006

6. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There have been reports of the A/C condensate drain tube becoming clogged and causing water to overflow into the passenger foot well.

7. mattlach

mattlach New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 18 2006, 12:39 PM) [snapback]334522[/snapback]</div>
    I just talked to her, apparently the car has logged 62k miles (surprisingly high for a 2 year old car) so it is likely out of warranty, which is too bad.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 18 2006, 12:39 PM) [snapback]334522[/snapback]</div>
    Then you have been lucky. I have heard SO many stories of people being cheated by their extended warranty companies that I view the business as a whole as a fraudulent, and wouldn't touch a 3rd party extended warranty with a 20ft pole.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(viking31 @ Oct 18 2006, 12:42 PM) [snapback]334524[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe this could be the case since it has a unusually high milage for its age. We have been having unusually cold weather here the last couple of days though, so I doubt she's been using the AC. It seems to have happened while it was raining this morning.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

8. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mattlach @ Oct 18 2006, 09:53 AM) [snapback]334534[/snapback]</div>
    All the more reason for it to be the condensate drain. The Climate Control keeps the fog off the inside of the windows and the moisture has to go somewhere.

9. mattlach

mattlach New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasalsa @ Oct 18 2006, 02:51 PM) [snapback]334628[/snapback]</div>

Interesting. You you know of a guide or a picture somewhere on how to get at and clean the condensate drain?

Thanks,
    Matt

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nobody has a picture of the exit point for the drain?

11. rickcoup

rickcoup Junior Member

Re: Water leak in cabin!

I am having the same issue on my 2004 Prius. Any DIYers here? Or how much will dealer fix it?

12. Peter Chicarielli

Peter Chicarielli Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My wheel well always had water in it. Didn't know why.

I removed everything and got someone to spray a hose over the hatch. I saw water pouring in from two cracks on either side of the interior metal frame.

Could have been from an accident from the original owner. Either way, the water would stay in the car, and actually get splashed up while driving to the point it went under the batteries and soaked the back seat floor mats.

I sealed the cracks from the outside with a certain type of metal, waterproof and malleable epoxy. I haven't had any issue since.

The car did smell horrible though, and I thought it would eventually dry out by leaving the windows open often. But almost 6 months later, it was still the same. I had to use some odor eliminator chemical. That seems to do the trick.

I heard of other people reporting cracks towards the roof in the roof well area. That wasn't the case for me. I had to rip out the interior paneling to expose the metal and see the water come pouring in to find out.

13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very very common issue.

Take the plastic strips off the side of the roof they pop right off you will see cracks running from the hatch valley where the quarter panel Is joined to the roof and is welded and puttyied there. Running down that valley.

I suspect it cracks because of the hatch slamming but could just be flex.
    It will drip down Into the hatch area and many times Will hit the connector for the hybrid battery fan and corrode the connector.
    That’s not good that fan must run all the time at low speed. It’s always on.

There’s some rubber drain plugs one under the spare tire the other in the 12 volt battery well.
    If you get a flashlight and lookin in that battery well it will have standing water.
    If you garage the car you can take both out if not you cannot take those plugs out as mice will get in the car and chew the wiring.

So no garage drill a small hole in both rubber plugs so they will allow drainage and it’s important to check that fan plug.

There’s hundreds of posts about this issue.

Use the search forum tab up top and search

Leak.