1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water leak into interior passenger floor

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by 1FSTCAT, Sep 16, 2010.

1. 1FSTCAT

1FSTCAT New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the engine replaced in my 2003. I know they had to remove the windshield wiper tray. Is this why rain water is entering the passenger floor?

Someone unfamiliar with Prius design did the work. If there's something that would have to have been resealed, I'm sure he didn't do it.

Any pointers for me to find or fix the leak?

Thanks!!

--Ed

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Perhaps these photos might help:
    [​IMG]
    The gray cable is going into the air intake vent. To reach it, I had to take off the windshield wiper motor assembly. Here you see the cable coming out the filter slot behind the glove compartment:
    [​IMG]

So there is an upper cover that extends along the tray holding the wiper motor:
    [​IMG]

Could you take a photo of your engine compartment so we can compare and understand what your current configuration looks like?

Since you've only made two posts, I believe you have to make five before you can post images. However, if you can put them on some web site, you could post the URL to the photos and we could peek at them that way.

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

3. 1FSTCAT

1FSTCAT New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The guy who changed the motor looked at it with me yesterday and showed me the panels that I need to pull to ensure that the windshield wiper tray is draining properly. I suspect the drains are just clogged, as this car sat for a year and lots of nastiness had accumulated on it and then recently been cleaned off. I'll let ya'll know more after the weekend, after I've hopefully fixed it.

1 person likes this.
  4. 1FSTCAT

1FSTCAT New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like I was wrong about the leak being rain water. After spending an hour with the hose and tearing down the windshield wiper tray, I started investigated deeper. After feeling around the bottom of the dash with paper towls, I came back with a paper towel full of pink goo. There's only one thing this can mean:

[​IMG]

This picture was taken from the passenger's floorboard, looking toward the driver's side, witth the carpet pulled back. Notice the dried pink coolant trail, all across the bottom of the dashboard. I assume I'm looking at a heater core replacement here.

If that's the case, can someone post the R&R procedure list for replacing the heater core?

Thank you!!

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What is your coolant level in the radiator? A leak of coolant can let in air and I would be worried about the cylinder head being covered.

Pressure test?

Bob Wilson

6. 1FSTCAT

1FSTCAT New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I first found water in the floor board, there was a light green and mostly water mixture in the floorboard. We thought the green might have been mold in the carpet from the leak having had occurred in the past. At that time, the engine coolant was ethylene glycol and mostly water, since the radiator was leaking pretty badly.

Since that time, the radiator has been replaced and the coolant with the pink, super long life Toyota stuff. That's what I'm finding on the bottom of the dashboard. It's also disappearing from the overflow tank. I'm 100% sure it's ICE coolant, at this point.

1 person likes this.
  7. seb33

seb33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am having a problem similar to this...almost everyday there is a watery like fluid on my passenger side floor mat and I reached down today and felt under the panel on the left side of the center console and it is very wet underneath...the 'foam' under the panel is saturated. I have never ever experienced a car leaking like this, it is very distressing! I very rarely use my air conditioning...is it related to the air conditioning? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

8. seb33

seb33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm at Toyota now and they feel that it is probably related to the air conditioning hose coming loose and draining out...it should be fixed under warranty...

9. eeway

eeway Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I also have water leaking onto my right ankle when the a/c or front windshield defroster is engaged. Took it to a dealer in Annapolis MD and they told me that is was a known issue, and that I would have to live with it. Great service, isn't it?:mad:

10. elendilmir

elendilmir Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I used to have a similar problem with my 02. There is a drain plug that can fill up with debris. My passenger floor would fill up when I ran the AC. Sometimes pretty badly.

Have your technician blow some compressed air through the train tube. I have been having it done at every servicing that I have had for a few years whether I need it or not, and I haven't seen the problem since.