1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water Leak, not from A/C

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by PriusFanz, Aug 9, 2016.

1. PriusFanz

PriusFanz New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hey guys, I have a quick question. I am getting a leak in both the drivers side and passenger side when it rains (by my feet).

I searched on the forum and it seems most people with a water leak tend to be from the A/C hose, but mine is not related to A/C since I can run air con all day and no water appears, but when it rains heavy I get leaks on both sides of the car.

I opened the hood and checked out the section under the windshield wipers (drainage area) to see if there was any debris, but it was clean - even the drain hole was clear.

Any ideas of what to check?

I was thinking perhaps the seal between the windshield and the plastic section that is used to move the water might be leaking, as I noticed one area was slightly torn, but it was very, very small. Perhaps an adhesive to firmly attach the plastic drainage to windshield?

Thanks so much!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's not leaking, it's rainwater

3. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is there any history of the windshield being replaced?

4. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also check your door seals.

5. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had exactly the same problem and it was my windshield leals leaking. Get a new windshield, they are relatively cheap. Mine was about $200.

6. PriusFanz

PriusFanz New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks for all the responses.

BZzap - no, I never had my windshield replaced.

I will check my door seals as well, thanks.

Maybe, for the process of elimination, I will try to get some type of adhesive and seal the windshield and the top of the plastic that is part of the water drainage system, where the windshield wipers sit, if it rains and no water then problem solved but if it still leaks..... I can't think of anything else.

Any other thoughts? I read about leaks in the back, but I don't know how water would come down the front, as the water is not just on the mat but up higher on the wall.

My worry are the electronics. Near the foot wall on the drivers side I see a lot of wires and such, these are damp when it rains.

7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Have to be concerned with mold and corrosion as well.

8. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Try spraying water on the windshield sides and see where the leak is coming from. It'll be harder to tell if rain starts pouring down since there will be water everywhere on your vehicle. If you can concentrate where the water is coming from with your water hose, it'll pin point where the water drains out at.

9. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think they can just replace the seals and keep the old windshield, can't they?

10. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No. The windshield is glued on with a plastic compound that sets in an hour or so. The seal around the window as best I can tell is just trim. The windshield itself lays flat against a metal flange that runs all the way around the windshield.

I also tried taping off the windshield but water will still get in because the window seal is compromised.

11. PriusFanz

PriusFanz New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hmm thanks for all the ideas!

I think I will try to get a hose (I live in a condo) and see if I can figure out exactly where the leak is.

I suppose another approach, one that I am hesitant to do, is to take apart the whole front dashboard and really see where the water is leaking - it's back in there somewhere, but sooo much work to remove everything :(

12. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's not too hard to remove the glove compartment and a few bits beyond that. It could b e enough to let you figure out where the water is coming from.

13. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I also tried taking apart the dash board and it is a losing proposition. I tried removing the fender wells to trace the water route and none were clogged. I taped over the whole windshield but water still came in. I researched all over and looked at pictures of the bare body. I can all but guarantee it is your windshield that is compromised. When you eventually get around to replacing the windshield, they will remove it with a curved knife cutting the bond between the windshield and the flange. You will see exactly where the water is coming in. It took me months of anger, depression, frayed nerves and all but giving up before I was talked into replacing my windshield. I wish I had just done that to begin with.