1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

water logged smart key FOB unlocked doors once, then not again

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by benk33, Jul 14, 2015.

1. benk33

benk33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all. So I recently went swimming with the key FOB in my pocket. Yes, expensive mistake (probably).

However, I put it in some uncooked rice and the next morning put a new battery in it and tried to open the car. It successfully unlocked the doors by the remote. However, it was only successful once. When I tried to remotely lock the doors, or even manually lock the doors and then try to remotely unlock again, it didn't work.

I put it back in the rice and in the sun today and tried periodically throughout the day and was not able to do anything.

How should I interpret this? Is it possible that there was still moisture in there? Did I try to use the remote again too soon? Would that have done anything to my new battery (in other words, do I need another new battery to test this)?

Thanks!
    Ben

2. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I would try a 2nd name brand battery

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think you should've waited longer to get all the moisture out. Now it could have fried the thing

4. N.J.PRIUS

N.J.PRIUS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Unfortunately water and electronics don't mix! You can try a hair dryer to make sure all moisture is gone, however, my experience is once an electronic device is dropped in water it is never the same.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do you have the second fob?

6. DKG1011

DKG1011 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yuck. Water and electronics can mix. As long as the electronics are TOTALLY dry when you re apply power. Unlocking doors may have connected power to unlock doors once, Then kill the fob. I'd open the thing up, dry more and longer, then try again. New battery wouldn't hurt just to rule that out. With a meter you could test old battery voltage to see if it was good or not. My fob is beaten badly with 2 missing button covers and a third that's on its way to falling off. I need to transfer the insides to a new case before mine gets accidentally dunked.

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I remember when I was a kid, my brother and I would sit on the floor just a few feet away from our enormous 19-maybe 21 inch color TV. In a 1/2 hearted attempt at mixing bad parenting ( Too much TV ) with better parenting ( real concern) my mother would yell in from the kitchen that we shouldn't sit so close to the TV.

I don't know what she thought would happen if we continued to "close up" our viewing of Star Trek or Gilligans Island, but I think it was based on some 1960's fear of radiation that she was taught when she was young.

It was probably good advice, even if my brother and I ignored it.

But in an effort to resurrect the school of too late, ignoreable advice, I'm just going to say "Don't go swimming with the fob in your pocket!".

OK...too late. But the good news is at this point? I don't think you have too much to lose. It's either fried or fixable.

Assuming you have another fob that allows you to continue to use the vehicle, I'd place the Atlantis Fob in a bowl of rice for a good week. And I'd light a white candle next to it every night while chanting "Dry and Functional" 20 times.

Replace the battery again? Sure why not? It's only money. And compared on what you are going to spend getting a new one? Very little money at that.

I think a lot of problems can be solved with just a good attitude and a bowl of rice. Probably NOT this problem, but a lot of them.

Best of Luck.

8. benk33

benk33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting thing happened tonight. When I finished driving somewhere after I took the key out of the dash the little red light on the key FOB was visible. The remote still does not unlock the doors or do any smart key functions. Any ideas of what this means? When I drove home tonight I did not see the light after taking it out of the dash.

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    May be one of the buttons on the fob is now stuck down in the "on" position.

10. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    If its completely dry and your seeing the led light come on without a switch being activated I would start looking for a replacement.