1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water - Moisture problem? corrosion concerns

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by CMUCasey, Jun 7, 2008.

1. CMUCasey

CMUCasey New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My 05 still serves me well but this spring I noticed something odd. On making a turn, I could hear "sloshing" occasionally. It didn't last so I wasn't too worried. Now after heavy rain storms, my PRI is dripping quite a lot of water onto the drive. How is it getting in and am I overly concerned about corrosion?

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Have you checked the plastic tray under the windshield wipers? There is a drain hole underneath, and when it gets plugged up you get that sloshing sound.

Tom

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  4. CMUCasey

CMUCasey New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for the reminders. There was quite a bit of debris in that plastic tray. I still have to make the dreaded stop at a dealership as the check engine light was on this morning. :( He charges 80.00 just to read the code and if I have someone else read it, getting any possible warranty service is impossible.

5. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My understanding is as follows:
    Reading or having someone else read the OBDII trouble codes should not affect your warranty. That's one of the major benefits/uses of the ScanGuageII. I probably would not reset the engine light if under warranty. I would take it to the dealer without mentioning that I had scanned for the codes. I would use the knowledge to confirm or question the dealers diagnosis. Below is a warranty link that I found informative.

Keeping Your Mod's Warranty Intact - For Dummies

6. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the check engine light (aka the amber light that looks like an engine) is the only light that is on, make sure that your gas cap is tightened at least one click.

There is no warranty problem with your reading the DTC yourself (if you have access to an OBD-II code reader) but inexpensive code readers may not be able to access all codes produced by the various Prius ECUs.