1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water on passenger side of car

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dbotello, Jun 11, 2007.

1. dbotello

dbotello Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have an unusual problem with my car. Recently I noticed water in the rear passenger footwell. It had been raining like mad here in Houston so I thought some water had managed to get in the car. I cleaned it up and kept on going. The next day, there was more water, but the rain had actually stopped. (repeat). The bulk of the wet carpet was in the rear footwell, but there was some moisture in the passenger front side as well. Nothing on the driver's side (front or rear). I took it in to the shop, and they said that they would be ripping out my carpet to dry it out, and would then diagnose the problem. It appears to be just water, and they are suggesting that it is possibly some form of condensation from the A/C (which I am running like mad now). I ran a search on the site and couldn't find anything listed like this, so I thought I woudl post to the group. The car has never been hit, or damaged in any way that I am aware of.

Anybody have any ideas ?

David

2. vdubstress

vdubstress Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbotello @ Jun 11 2007, 07:35 PM) [snapback]459910[/snapback]</div>
    I know in most cars there are drain channels on either side of the roof. They are usually a clear plastic tubing that run along the roof line and drain out by the wheel well. I've had these clog and dismount (thus causing a lot of water in the back seat footwell) but that was always in a sunroofed car. Maybe do a search on service manual and see if there is a headliner up diagram for drainage.

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi David. I haven't got an answer, but some explanantion about what the dealer said. When you run the AC and it cools the cabin air, the moisture in the air condenses out. There's a drain in the condenser box that should allow the AC water to drain, which is why you frequently see water under a car in the summer time. If that drain gets blocked with dust and mold, the water has to go someplace so it may drip out into the cabin. The condenser box is located under the dash on the passenger side, so it may drip into the front passenger foot well.

The dealer, or any garage, should be able to blow compressed air up the drain from below, to remove a blockage, whch would fix an AC water problem. But you said there was more water in the back foot well. Was your car parked at an angle so AC water would have drained to the back?

The other possibility is that the rear passenger door weather stripping isn't making a tight seal, and with all your rain some rain water was leaking in. Again, that's a little hard to imagine since the car would have to have been parked at a weird angle, or you had REALLY strong winds, to let water get into the car.

I don't suppose you had a water bottle that leaked? Wishful thinking...

4. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Check the body drains first.

5. dbotello

dbotello Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Jun 12 2007, 12:19 AM) [snapback]459972[/snapback]</div>
    Well it turns out that a MOUSE had eaten and mangled the bottom of the tube that allows the water to drain out of the condenser box. They had to pull the carpet and dry it out to avoid mildew damage.

Ouch.

I hate mice.

David

6. jpmayberry

jpmayberry New Member

I'm having the same exact problem on my 2006 Prius. The Passenger foot well is getting soaked. Yesterday a full quart of water was caught with a cup as it alternated between dripping and *pouring* out.

When taking left turns, cold or hot water will pour out the passenger side, and when making a sharp right, sometimes out the driver side.

Taking into the dealer ASAP.

7. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JohnM8114 @ Jul 30 2007, 12:23 PM) [snapback]487490[/snapback]</div>
    This definitely sounds like a blocked condenser box. Blowing it out with air should set everything right again.

8. Bear68

Bear68 Member

Check the drain hose as well. If it has been pulled loose for some reason (Accidently kicked, vermin pulling from outside, just plain slipped loose) the drain drips right onto the carpet. However, since the water is coming from condensation on the evaporator, it should be cool or cold! If it is hot have the heater core checked immediately for leaks! Remember that is engine coolant! Don't take a chance on overheating the engine! :eek: