1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water Problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hoferchr, Jun 16, 2008.

1. hoferchr

hoferchr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've posted a similar message on the Yahoo Prius-2G foums, and I thought I'd get opinions from this group as well:

Due to the floods that hit our area in Wisconsin, I've got some major electrical issues with my '04 Prius.

This past Thursday, just as I was about to leave work, tornado sirens went off...preventing me from leaving work. I didn't want to chance it...and the warnings kept on extending through the evening. I didn't make it out of work until at least 7:30 p.m. Well, the parking lot I was in was flooded (about half-way up to my knees), and I had to enter my Prius from the back hatch (this gives you an idea that the water would have gushed in had I opened the driver's side door). Well, I soon realized that I had about ankle-deep water on the floor of my Prius.

Yup...you guessed it. Electrical issues. To name just a few things...the speakers were shorting out, I can't hear anything from the radio, the DVD-based navigation system is not responding, and the keeyless entry with the key fob is not working either. That's what I just noticed. I tried my best to get as much water out as I could with a shop vac, but I'm sure there's still some standing water underneath the carpet.

Well, my Prius is now at the nearest Toyota dealership waiting to be diagnosed. Right now I'm just hoping that my insurance will help cover some or most of the costs and that the issues they find are fixable.

Some people on the Prius-2G forums have suggested that my Prius gets totaled because of the extent of water damage now...and possible damage in the future. It's not the best news I was hoping for, but I am curious to know what others think on this board.

Thanks...
    Chris

2. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All I can offer is sympathy, really.

That totally sucks. I'm so sorry. :(

3. penbed

penbed New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Keep us posted on diagnosis.
    It will be good information in the future. if needed.

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  5. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    With that many expensive modules damaged I would say that the insurance company would total it.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    How does auto insurance deal with flood damage? I know home owner's insurance excludes flood damage, but I don't know about cars.

Tom

7. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Good Question! My guess is that they will do anything they can to keep from paying. Do I sound cynical? Good, I am.

I do hope it all works out... guess I should check out my policy. Here in Florida I think I have a hurricane rider on my auto policy.

Bob

8. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    As long as the traction battery was not inundated it may be salvageable, but EVERYTHING under the seat its fried. Unfortunately, by trying to drive it away you probably fried it. If an electronic device, almost ANY electronic device, gets wet but is allowed to completely dry (sometimes taking days to a couple weeks) it will probably work fine. (some cleaning of residue may need to occur) But its the powering up of a device that is wet that usually fries it, or if it is on while it gets wet.

9. Bear68

Bear68 Member

So far, we haven't seen a Prius flood car... But, we have repaired quite a few other flood cars at the dealer where I work. We have also seen quite a few totalled by insurance companies. Most insurance companies seem to cover flood damage under the comprehensive section of your policy which also covers fire and theft. The general rule of thumb I have seen adjusters use is "water to the dash = totalled".

Going back in history just a little bit, in Oct 1995, Palm Beach County got hit with massive rainstorms that pounded the northern section. We had over 200 cars towed in with water damage! About half of them had driven into deep water and hydrolocked the engines.

Even now, we still see flood cars from people who think they can "make through an inch or to of water". Then the inch or two becomes an inch or twelve...

10. GatorJZ

GatorJZ Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The car is a a total loss (sorry, that sucks). People will offer you all sorts of opinions as to what they believe you should be entitled to without a) having read your insurance policy or b) being familiar with your state's laws. Do yourself a favor...find your policy and READ it, paying particular attention to the comprehensive coverage section. Your policy is your contract with your insurance policy and it will state with specificity what the company's obligations to you are.

11. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sorry about your car :eek:

If you aren't taken care of by insurance, or you consider buying it back for the residual if it is totaled you might talk to Steve at:
    Plug In Hybrid Electric Vehicle PHEV

I know he has rebuilt at least one flood damaged Prius.

Rob

12. hoferchr

hoferchr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for all the postings so far. As of 5:45 p.m. today, I haven't heard anything new from my insurance company or the Toyota dealership. Thankfully, I have my parent's VW Passat stationwagon to use while my Prius is in the shop...oh, and I just filled up their car...$60! But, I digress...

13. hoferchr

hoferchr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just an update from me...

Insurance adjuster is supposed to be going to the Toyota dealership to look at my car. I have also sent and e-mail and talked to the guy who has been helping me at the dealership expressing the concerns I have with the amount of water that was in my Prius. I was encouraged that he also said he would have those concerns as well. I'm Prius-less for the time being. But, I'm thankful that my parents are letting me use their VW Passat station wagon while they are in Pennsylvania for a couple more weeks.

Chris

14. hoferchr

hoferchr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's been a while since I have last posted, but I now FINALLY have an update for all of you. I just found out over the noon hour today that my insurance company is going to total my Millennium Silver Prius. Tomorrow I am supposed to find out the details...such as how much I'm going to get from my insurance company. Looks like I will be shopping for a new Prius!

15. Joekc

Joekc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That's a real shame, especially since your Prius is not going to be quickly replaced. Maybe your insurance company can help you find a used model. :(

16. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    wow, that's sad but it's for the best with all the problems that water causes for electronics. there are so many electronic components to this car.

hope you and your family are ok with all the flooding that's going on up that way. though i am kinda curious now how a prius would fare in a tornado :eek:

17. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm sorry for your loss. I hope your insurance is good and gives you a fair amount. You might be prepared by looking for the going rate for comparable operational cars. With the dearth of Prius available, and many dealers getting MSRP+, even a 2004 shouldn't have depreciated very much. While you may not get as much as you paid for it, the value is still high.

18. Bear68

Bear68 Member

In a Tornado??!! I hope Dorothy and Toto stepped up for the curtain airbags!!:rain:

19. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    A Prius would fly uncontrollably just like any other car in a Tornado. Don't wait in the car if a Tornado is around! Find better cover. Even a drainage ditch is better!

Yes, the nav unit is under the seat and is connected to the radio/cd system. If anyone thinks the damage was caused by turning on the wet car, I've got news for you. It's all electronic switching. It's always on, just not fully running.

It's amazing to me that you were able to drive away. I guess the traction battery is as well protected as they say. 200VDC and dirty water = a very dangerous situation unless "steps" are taken.

20. hoferchr

hoferchr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have received a figure back from my insurance company regarding my Prius. I would appreciate some help in determining if $17,485.50 seems like a decent price that my insurance company is offering. Here is how the numbers break down:

• 2004 Toyota Prius
    • Millennium Silver
    • Package #9 (BC)
    • My opinion: Car in excellent condition. Only 2 or 3 small dings in the doors. Serviced on a regular basis.

• NADA Book
      • base: $16,250
      • low miles add: $475
      • Navigation add: $625
      • Total Book: $17,350
    • Dealer survey average: $18,121
    • Average Book/Dealer: $17,735.50
    • Payment: $17,485.50 (bank payoff and balance to me, assuming there is a lien)
    I called to a few Toyota dealerships in the area. I was told to use either NADA.com or Kelley Blue Book (I've done both). KBB price is about $3,000 higher than NADA.com.

Also, I talked to the guy who sold me my Prius, and he said that if a similar Prius were to have a suggested retail price of $20K, it would probably sell for more than that because the demand is so high right now, and that I could also tell my insurance company about the wait list...which right now is at about 6 to 8 months for a new one.

So, I am asking for opinions from you all on these numbers and the additional info I've provided. What do you think?

Thanks...
    Chris
    Soon-To-Be non-owner of a 2004 Millennium Silver Prius #9 :-(