1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water Pump/8y-100K Warranty

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by A.G., Oct 28, 2012.

1. A.G.

A.G. New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello all,
    I was looking for a little feedback from the community on something that just doesn't smell right. Back in March, 2009 I bought my wife a new Prius from a reputable dealer in Oklahoma. Along with it I opted in on a 8y/100K mi. warranty, to the tune of about $2,000. When buying the warranty, the salesman indicated "it covers everything, except rubber" (wipers and tires) and the Vehicle Service Agreement backs this up. FF to OCT 2012 and the Water Pump dies on the Prius, and I'm happy I opted in on that warranty - since the standard 3y warranty just expired. The Toyota service rep is telling my wife (I was out of town when the pump died) the pump is only covered by the initial 3y warranty, that just expired. The 8y warranty does not cover the pump.

So, whom do I raise the issue with? The fella who sold me the warranty? The guy not honoring it? Or do I need to run down some fine print I'm neglecting?

Thanks for reading,
    A.G.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    - Which "Water Pump" are you referring to: engine coolant pump, inverter coolant pump, or ??

- Once you have determined exactly which pump is at fault, I suggest that you look at the terms of the supplemental warranty that you purchased.

- Also note that the inverter coolant pump is covered by the 5 year/60K mile powertrain warranty. See the TSB attached to this message string by Galaxee, post #34:
    Inverter Coolant Pump takes a dive | Page 2 | PriusChat

3. A.G.

A.G. New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It was the combustion engine water/coolant pump.

As for the terms of the warranty, the only document I have been referencing is the vehicle service agreement, which outlines what is covered by the warranty (as well as other warranties Toyota offered at the time we purchased the car). Should I contact the seller and see if they have a copy of....???

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The so-called water pump or traditional coolant pump is located on the right side of the engine (viewing from the drivers position). Frequently you can see leakage of pink salts there. Mine leaked some fluid but holding now and I am still using it at 110k miles. Maybe when we need to use heater we will see a problem. So I would ask - how badly did it die? I am under the impression that those Prius Chat members who purchased the extended warranty from this site had coverage for this water pump replacement. If you have a warranty that is one good thing to fix before you go off warranty. I did not get one. You will note coolant system is the only black mark in Consumers Reports reliability ranking for 2004-2006 Prius implying possible Gen2 generic issue.