1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

water pump belt gone - engine seized!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by CallmeSusan, Aug 3, 2018.

1. CallmeSusan

CallmeSusan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I had the 12 volt battery and two water pumps including the belt on my 2008 Toyota Prius less than a month ago. The other day the Red triange warning light come on along with check engine light. I drove it no more than 15 miles to the shop where the repairs were done. The owner told me that after examining it, he saw that there was no belt on the water pump he just replaced and the car had overheated and the motor is fried. He told me that he has no idea what could have happened to the belt. He said that there is no evidence that the belt broke or was damaged by something I picked up on the road, he said there should be shreds of the old belt, etc. He is perplexed on how this could have happened. Does anybody have any guesses on how something like this might occur?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    One guess would be mechanic error, didn't tighten the belt tensioner.

Or possibly no belt was ever put on. If you drive really short distances, you probably wouldn't know

ZeroDigit, edthefox5, M in KC and 2 others like this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep. You should have reached in and checked the tensioner before you brought it back it probably was never tightened.
    Probably never filled it back up with coolant either. Or he didn't use an oem belt. Catch any of those he's buying you a new motor.

You install the belt. Put the car in inspection mode where the engine idles endlessly and let it run for 15 minutes. Shut it down let it cool and then check the belt tension as it will be much looser because the new belt is very stiff when new and has to break in and then check all the coolant levels especially the engine coolant via the rad inlet under the cover not the overflow tank.
    I bet if you take the 6 screws out of the black plastic rad cover take the cover off and open the rad cap the rad is really low on coolant too.

I dont trust anyone working on my cars. i always check or diy whenever I can. But I always check. I check after every oil change the day after even if I do it myself. And I always look at the belt real quick when i check the oil on my prius. You lose the belt you will never know till the car is severely overheated till its too late and the engine is so overheated it throws a check engine light and head gasket usually blown by then. Very very bad system on this car no temp gauge on the dash.l

One mistake on a $8 part can smoke your motor.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Repair Manual Info on the drive belt:

Attached Files:

ZeroDigit likes this.
  5. CallmeSusan

CallmeSusan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    There was no coolant, the mechanic said that the motor sucked it all up and it went out the tailpipe. Does that sound reasonable?

#5 CallmeSusan, Aug 4, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2018
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nope. you should speak with an attorney, or at least consider small claims court.

7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did the motor suck up the water pump drive belt, too? Totally NOT reasonable.

8. Coolride17

Coolride17 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Idiot forgot to install the belt. Probably still on his work cart. Easy mistake , but costly.

9. Coolride17

Coolride17 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sure, after it blew the headgasket by overheating because of forgetting to put the belt back on.

edthefox5 likes this.
  10. AMT

AMT New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am so sorry this happened to you. I had a similar experience recently. I hope your mechanic compensates you but if not (mine refused to accept any responsibility) you can file a complaint with your state Bureau of Auto Repair. I had to complain to the State when some contractors screwed up repairs to my house and it really made all the difference.

11. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Since this work was accomplished a month ago...time to make some noise.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    over 3 months, and susan hasn't been back