1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

water pump leak (not the recalled one, but the engine one)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by scared_prius_breakdown, Jun 20, 2012.

1. scared_prius_breakdown

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hello all, i bought my 2007 prius in chicago, il brand new. does anyone know what the warranty is on a 2007 prius. when i moved, i lost all my paperwork. but, i am having trouble with the water pump, supposedly it is leaking. i feel like the dealer inflicted the damage themselves just to get business (that is another story in itself). but i have two questions: 1 - how long is the warranty on my 2007 prius, and 2 - is the water pump covered under the warranty. i believe the dealer said its not the electric pump (which was recalled and they replaced it) but the engine water pump. my car has about 65k miles. thanks for all your help everyone. i am not a car person at all.

2. scared_prius_breakdown

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    just found the warranty info. looks like not even a remote chance that the water pump might be covered since its past 5 years and 60k miles. but, remaining is my question is, what is a reasonable price to fix it. i am taking a survey to see what i should pay, and can i go to a local mech to do this or should i got to the dealer. the dealer quote me at $650.00

3. scared_prius_breakdown

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2007 Toyota Prius Base 4dr Hatchback 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic Features and Specs

4. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What did your local independent mechanics quote you for the job?

Keep shopping. $650 for a water pump seems kinda high.

5. DGH

DGH Thread Terminator

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow some dealer service. I paid roughly half that about a year ago at a Toyota dealer.
    Good luck!

Dan.

6. scared_prius_breakdown

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the dealer said that price includes labor, water pump, and some of the belts associated with it. but my question is my car only has 65k miles. mostly highway miles. does 65k miles warrants a water pump failure and to start leaking? i checked my coolant reservior/liquid, it was still at average level or at least at the level i saw it last time. i feel like, everytime i go to the dealer, they tell me something major is wrong. i did see some minor pinkish color under when i jacked up the car.

7. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Step 1: Find out if it's actually leaking.

These water pumps tend to weep a bit over the long run, leaving a bit of coolant residue that could be interpreted as a leak (or an excuse to sell a new pump, depending on experience level and ethics). We are talking about a very small amount of coolant loss (drops, not ounces, over a few thousand miles) but it does seem to be pretty typical. Both of ours do it, and neither one loses a perceptible amount of coolant.

My recommendation would be to note the coolant level (or top-up with Toyota SLLC if it's low) and watch it. Check frequently at first in case you have a real problem, less frequently thereafter if it doesn't seem to be moving. You shouldn't see the coolant level drop at all over the course of a few thousand miles if the pump is good.

8. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is no such thing as "normal leakage".

The weep hole is there to provide coolant an exit route when it goes past the seals in the pump: that is, when the seals are starting to fail.

If you see weepage, it's time to change the pump before it fails catastrophically.

9. RobertK

RobertK Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    MSRP for the pump is about $93, and the flat rate labor to change it is 1.8 hours. The only belt on the engine is about $20, and you might as well change it since it involves no additional labor. These prices are for genuine Toyota parts, but aftermarket products are available for less money. Any mechanic should be able to change the pump, but they do need to know how to bleed the system after everything is put back together.

If the dealer is telling you "some of the belts" either they don't know what they are talking about or they are trying to scam you. I'd call another dealer and/or an independent shop to see what they would charge.

10. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have two cars that have exhibited this since I first bothered to check, which was around the second oil change. One has 90k, the other has 130k. I haven't had to open the coolant reservoir on either. I'll happily replace a pump when it needs it, but an imperceptibly small loss that doesn't get worse over tens of thousands of miles doesn't send me to the parts counter.

One way or another the OP needs to verify that it is actually leaking, since he doesn't seem to trust the original diagnosis. If that simply means taking it to a different, better-trusted mechanic and asking an opinion, that works.

11. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another option which may or may not be more costly: rebuilding the water pump. Probably doesn't make sense in this case, but just something to keep in mind.

12. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In the cases where a mouse can piss harder than your water pump, sure, you won't see immediate, catastrophic seal failure. But the fact that your pump is leaking shouldn't be taken as a sign that the pump is healthy.

13. scared_prius_breakdown

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks all for your reply. i appreciate it. i have decided to monitor the level after i filled it up with genuine toyota coolant. once my next oil change hits, i will take the car to another dealer and see if that dealer says the same thing. once again, thanks for all your help.

p.s. there is just something about this dealer that just seems fishy. EVERY SINGLE TIME we bring our cars in for oil change, the dealer tells us we have a major problem that needs to get fixed. can anyone think of any other ways or options we can stop this kind of abuse, if it is considered abuse. i checked with BBB and there are no complaints against them. checked reviews online and none either.

14. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Call your local news stations, tell them about your story. Maybe one of them will take a hidden camera to the dealership and do a nice story on them... :)

Otherwise, I'd just leave a nasty review on Yelp and be done with it. There are enough scumbags in the world, it could be a full-time job trying to pick through them.

15. DGH

DGH Thread Terminator

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you care to tell us the dealer name?

16. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Were both cars bought new? If so then the weeping started around 10K miles, right? Thanks!

17. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I recently took my 2006 in for recall work (steering). The dealer, from whom I purchased the car new, told me my water pump was leaking, and that it would cost $591.00 to replace. He also said the cabin air and engine air filters were extremely dirty, and needed to be replaced @ $30.00 each. Well....I had just replaced both filters less than two weeks ago, so I know he was lying on those. I've never seen a drop of coolant leaking from my car, and have never had to add any. The level is right up at the full mark. I've since driven over 700 miles, with absolutely no loss of coolant. Here is just another example of an unethical automobile service department. I live in the
    San Diego area, and will gladly "out" this crooked dealer if you PM me.

18. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This link will help you determine if it is actually leaking. I was recently at a presentation given by the State of California Bureau of Automotive Repair on how they have noticed a lot of this going around and what they are going to do about it. They are making a pamphlet to spread the word. It looks like they will be going after places that get complaints against them as well. I'm sure they would love to hear about this as well as any other members similar experiences (in California). Once you figure out if your water pump is leaking or not, you may want to drop them a line.

Avi

maestro8 likes this.
  19. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A KUDO to Avi's Advanced Automotive. I really appreciate this post. I've checked carefully, and can verify that my water punp is not leaking.

20. craigk

craigk Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Avi, Can we fly you in to Minnesota? Here's my (2007) water pump at 72,000 miles, I was told its leaking (you can see red spot) but just to keep watching it, what do you think? They didn't try to sell me a new pump right away ($405 installed). Fluid level is good. I saw photos at your link, bad pump looked worse than this.

WP_000015.jpg