1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water Pump only lasted 70k

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kammssss, Aug 2, 2012.

1. kammssss

kammssss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can't believe my water pump only lasted 70k. My original one that came with the car lasted 145k. How long did your second one last? And I did use OEM parts. How do I know that my water pump is failing? I see the pink stuff.

2. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just had mine replaced at ~121k. We'll see how long it lasts.

3. kammssss

kammssss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just ordered a new one off ebay. Brand is AISIN (Oem supplier for Toyota/Lexus). This one is made in the USA. Let's hope it lasts longer than the Japanese version. Only $45 with free shipping. Stealership wanted $111...suckas. Will keep you posted...hopefully it can take me to the 300k mark.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    At 130K miles, the shaft bearing on the original engine coolant pump on my 2004 is starting to seep so I bought the correct replacement pump in mid-July and will change the pump soon. It cost $69.26 plus shipping at toyotaworld.com

5. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I replaced mine myself just after I purchased my 2008 used in May 2011 with 67K on it. Saw the pink stuff and figured it was shot. Replaced with an AutoZone unit and was able to reuse the OEM gasket. Since then I've put on 40K plus and have seen slight seepage from the gasket (ends up on the inside of the bell pulley) a couple of times. Just a little spritz. The bearing must be far enough away from the weep hole to not be affected. Which makes me think I probably didn't need to replace the original.

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I am milking my original water pump.
    I had the pink salts leaking out...looked like this: :p
    And I was down on coolant, so I put more Toyota special coolant in and now its holding at ~110K miles