1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

water pump recall-change coolant?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BrettDanKen, Dec 18, 2010.

1. BrettDanKen

BrettDanKen Junior Member

I have a 2004 with 100k miles on it, wonderful car! I received the recall notice on the water pump and, according to my maintenance recommendation book I should replace the inverter and engine coolant at 100k miles. Is the replacement of the coolant done with the recall? Since they have to be in there anyway to replace the pump would it be reasonable for me to expect a cost break in replacing the coolants while they're at it?

2. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, they replace the INVERTER coolant when they replace the INVERTER pump.

No, they don't replace the ENGINE coolant when they replace the INVERTER pump.

The two cooling systems are two separate loops. Both loops take the same type of coolant, but the loops are separate.

So, if you're going to save money, have them replace the ENGINE coolant (you'll have to pay for that) and have them replace the INVERTER pump and the INVERTER coolant (for free!).

Regards

1 person likes this.
  3. sfsales

sfsales New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I took my car at 97,500 miles in to DCH Toyota of Oxnard for the recall notices - accelerator pedal and Electric Hybrid water pump. Service rep, Joshua, informed me that they would replace the inverter pump ("Electric Hybrid Water Pump Replacement").

He also informed me that I would have to get the inverter pump coolant replaced for warranty purposes as they just pinch off the lines when replacing the pump and do not bleed the lines, so they sold me the "Replace Inverter and Engine Coolant on Hybrid Vehicle and Bleed System as needed" for $240.

When I went to pay and pick up the vehicle, they informed me that I also needed to replace the engine coolant. I intend to call the Dealer Service Manager and Toyota to confirm that this normal recall procedure.:confused: Any comments would be appreciated.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just a proposal to put on the table: pro-rate the coolant change, ie: if you were due for coolant change anyway, you pay 100%. If you were only halfway to the coolant change interval, you pay 50%. Also, especially in the latter case: make sure it's entered in your maintenance stat's that you had coolant changed ahead of schedule.

5. Arthur Dunkel

Arthur Dunkel New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In June., when I took my 2005 Prius in for a small/routine oil and filter change (at 125,000 miles), I mentioned that I heard a squeaking sound under the hood like maybe the waterpump was going out. The technician said yes, I needed a new water pump. I had it changed; the price didn't seem extraordinary. Then in Aug., I was driving home and noticed the gasoline engine was not running, only the electric system, so I drove immediately to the Toyota agency and left the car there. They called a while later and said I needed a new water pump. I said o.k. and was shocked that the bill was $400.00. The next day, as I was thinking about it, I remembered that I had had a new water pump put in in June. So, I called, they did a research and said, sure enough. But, there are two water pumps in the Prius. The second one was deep in the engine and was much more expensive to deal with. What a shocker!

6. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No, never expect a cost break on any service "just because they are already in there." You can ask, but it almost never happens.

sfsales, you should not pay for anything related to the inverter pump replacement. The dealer is supposed to charge Toyota 1.2 hours of labor and up to $20 for coolant. Here is text from the dealer letter (posted elsewhere on PC):

Coolant: Toyota Super Long Life Coolant (SLLC) 00272-SLLC2 may be claimed up to $20.00 pervehicle under OP. Code 0615L19.

Arthur, if you had the inverter coolant pump replaced in June, you are eligible for reimbursement. You need to submit your receipt and proof of ownership to Toyota. Call 800-331-4331 for details. Be sure to complain about being overcharged by $100 for the August engine water pump job as well.