1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    How did you come by that, and where on the engine does it go? Do you have any other pics of it? In place?

I'm sure I haven't seen it in the US parts diagrams....

Edit: ah, this post. The plot thickens.

Did you ever take the hose off to look at the gray thing more closely? What does it appear to do / be?

Goes on the cylinder head with a gasket, doesn't it? Exactly the same as 16331 in this post on your other thread, right? Except for the gray doohickey.

Too many threads....

#61 ChapmanF, Aug 28, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
  2. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    IMG_20210306_135905.jpg

3. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I suspect it's a thermostat or a temperature sensor or both I did not get a closer look as I did not remove it again two weeks ago my car ran fine I swapped the damper took the engine out put it back in drove it around for 2 weeks no problems suddenly my pump failed and now I have two other pumps that are failing or have failed

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Identified it in the other thread; it's a version of 16331 OUTLET, WATER used in Europe and Japan but not North America (so far).

5. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I got the engine from a company I. Fresno ca jdm engine

6. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok here are some pics. We did not agree but we are friends now as you can see. The tiny hole does allow for follow going around the edges but I think the hole should be bigger. IMG_20210828_193354.jpg IMG_20210828_193402.jpg IMG_20210828_194126.jpg

7. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    chap! Is this Toyota subscription also available for foreigners in Africa, or it's just restricted to North America?

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In the wiki page that Elektroingenieur put together, under the heading "Toyota Subscription Databases", there are URLs for the North American, European, and Australian TIS web sites. I don't know if those are the only ones there are.

Elektroingenieur also mentioned, under the "CD-ROM/DVD-ROM" heading, Toyota Service Information (Global Service Information Center), which apparently produces discs for other countries, but these might not be offered for sale except to dealers.

Maybe @Elektroingenieur would have some way to learn more about what the exact story in Nigeria is.

It's possible that Toyota's practices may be influenced by which countries have strong copyright protections, and by which countries have right-to-repair laws.

9. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have you checked the sensors? Perhaps one is bad and giving the wrong reading.
    It could be telling the ecu that the coolant is HOT so it's running the pump at full speed to cool
    the engine coolant. I don't know if running the pump at full speed, even with coolant flowing, would
    make it over heat. Maybe too much voltage too long?

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a feeling you're replying to johnnychimpo's burning-up-water-pump question, which has its own thread, probably the better place for that discussion.

This is more of a generic thread about how the Gen 3 water pump works; johnnychimpo's thread is a good place for the nitty-gritty of what happens when a Gen 3 has a Gen 4 engine fitted into it and the Gen 4 engine was built for a different market region and that market region includes different mystery parts in the cooling system that aren't explained in the North American manuals and the mystery parts are kept in the cooling system (with or without extra-big holes punched through them). So that's kind of a specialized topic.... :)