1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water repellent glass

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tredstone, Mar 14, 2009.

1. tredstone

tredstone New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I saw in another thread that the Prius 2010 US page was updated and one of the new features was water repellent glass. I assume there is some property about the glass that prevents water from creating poor visibility blobs.

But for those of us not buying a 2010 prius (or like me, JUST bought an '09 Prius... lol), it immediately made me think of how I could somehow adopt this feature for my current car. I did a quick search and found a few sprays you can apply to the glass of your car to make it temporarily rain repellent.

Here's one, for example: Glass Science Rain Clear Windshield Repellant Spray, water repellent, glass sealant, glass protectant, RainX

Has anyone had any experience with these products? Maybe someone can make a recommendation? (Or describe their bad experience with them)

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Yes, we were discussing this is another thread, and rain-x works quite well. I have been using it for almost 16 years now.

I put it on every window on the car the day I drive a new car home. Then I do just the front window about every 3 months. It beads the water and makes it fly right off once the car is moving. It is a product that really does work and makes a distinctive difference. Some complain that it makes the wipers chatter at times but with the tremendous improved visibility it offers I can take the occassional chatter or squeek.

They also make an additive that you can put in your washer fluid tank and when you squirt your windows it applies a bit of product. Definitely helps in making the application last longer.

Oh, and yes, there are other brands/knock offs out there (some even found at dollar stores!) but trust me from much experience, rain-x is the only one to go with. They also make a new window cleaner with the rain-x in it so it applies it when you clean your windows, and that works good too. I bought it at BJ's wholesale club actually with an instant rebate...

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I tried Rain-X once, and it made my wipers skip and chatter. The treatment doesn't last very long, then you have wipers that don't work

I had to go over the windshield with mineral spirits, then rubbing alcohol, to remove all traces of that crap. Then had to change the wiper inserts

I use Aquapel, it actually lasts for up to 6 months

Rain Repellent Glass Treatment - Aquapel Glass Treatment

It's made by PPG. No wiper skip or chatter either

4. Oddest_raindrop

Oddest_raindrop New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use rain-x, great stuff sometimes don't even need wipers in the rain. I prefer to get the stuff that you add to your washer fluid so you can reapply anytime even during a down pour. It's simple fill up your reservoir and add a little rain-x and your done.

5. Fraser

Fraser New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I put Rain-X on my windows when we bought the 08. Works well, no wiper chatter. Reapplied the front windshield a couple of months ago. We average 65 inches of rain a year, but I'm just not convinced it makes a whole lot of difference. Florida requires wipers to operate during rain, so seems to be some overkill. But if you want to use Rain-X, I think it would suit you well.

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    we get a lot of crappy mist-like rain instead of real raindrops down here. i use rain-x and bosch icon wipers (but only when they're on sale!), they clear up the windshield pretty well for me.

7. Fraser

Fraser New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My bad; I never heard of a rear windshield. Or a side windshield, as far as that goes.

8. tredstone

tredstone New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm gonna give it a try! Who needs a 2010 Prius? :thumb:

9. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Another BIG Vote for Rain-X. I've been using it for something like 26 years. I find that it really helps the wipers and, yes (particularly on the Prius) at high enough speeds, the air flow just blows the water off the windshield. I only have used the regular stuff. The period of time it lasts depeds mostly on how much you use the wipers (the stuff does not decay by itself - only mechanical action takes it off).