1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water Turbines

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by WARHORSE, Dec 31, 2007.

1. WARHORSE

WARHORSE New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm thinking of installing a water turbine on some land I have w 300 yards of water front on a fast flowing river

How much do these systems cost ? reliability ? How much power can you expect from a small system ?

Thanks

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    On a personal note, Horse, I hope you appreciate that the same people you debate and argue with, the same who might be offended by many of the posts you have made in the past are now going to put that aside and step up to help. I hope you can appreciate that the major character flaw of most of the liberal commies on this board is their willingness to help anyone who asks.

Furthermore, I hope you take some before/after pictures and share the outcomes with us.

3. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Don't know anything about the energy quotient of such an installation but would urge you to consider the possible environmental impacts to the area when considering the means of construction and also when considering any potential derogatory impacts to the inhabitants of your water shed.

4. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You characterize too much, I think. People are people. Regardless of political bent, some will argue, some will help, and some will lie without giving it a second thought. Neither party (or supporter) has a corner on any of these traits.

As for an informative forum on hydro stuff, try this one http://www.theenvironmentsite.org/Forum/viewforum.php?f=27&sid=06e3850b00d27bb03ef04714d7633bf0

5. WARHORSE

WARHORSE New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Thanks for offering to help, I may be conservative economically & politically especially when it comes to national security

but I am pretty liberal socially

so thanks again :)

6. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Mr Horse,

Google around for "Micro hydro". There are a several different options available. The costs really depend on your specific situation. Micro hydro is the best home energy option, I think, because the power derived from it is really reliable and if your installation is good you're capacity factor (how often your sytem is running and how close to it's max rating it's running at) can be really good. Sounds like you're located near a pretty sizable stream so you could potentially generate loads of power. Local regs/restrictions may apply. You'll defo want to talk with a professional about. You're in a great situation to stop paying energy bills to the utility. Good luck with and defo let us know what the outcome is! This is a first on PC AFAIK so I'll be really interested to hear about it.

7. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I would recommend also going to:

homepower.com

Their focus is on power (solar/wind/water) for individual homeowners, not corporations or large installations. Note that one of their issues is free and downloadable. Take advantage of it.

8. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Homepower is definately a good place to start looking. From everything I have looked at, micro hydro is by far the most cost effective renewable if you have a suitable location for it. Environmental impact is usually pretty negligible, as you are usually only looking at a partial diversion of the natural flow (no damming) and then returning the diverted part of the flow to its original path within a 100 yards or so.

rob

9. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The last issue of Home Power (DEC/JAN) has a detailed story of a water turbine installation gone wrong (clogging, jamming, constant maintenance and repairs, low output). Then the owner gets a vastly better system and reports all the lessons learned from a real installation. Required reading if you are really serious about a micro turbine.

10. n8kwx

n8kwx Member

Arlington Heights, IL - NW Chicago Suburb
    Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Definitely read Home Power. Best magazine out there for renewable and independent power technologies.

On thing though. I don't know if a "fast moving" stream is really all you need.

My recollection is that you need a good "head" (height of water drop) to generate good power. Not just fast moving water (flow).

11. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It depends. Velocity and Mass can substitute for head (which is just a measure of potential energy that can be converted to kinetic energy, a swift current and a lotta mass already have that kinetic energy).

A lotta head is essential if you don't have much mass to work with. In WH's case though, he did say river, which implies a lot of available mass. It also implies that there's not a lot of head to work with, unless he's near some falls.