1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Waterproof smart key

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by ED9593, Oct 29, 2010.

1. ED9593

ED9593 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Has anyone got a good way to waterproof the smart key so that when it goes through the wash it will survive. I have tried small plastic bags and heat sealing them but they leak on testing in a bucket over night.

2. Fussion101

Fussion101 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I accidentally left my smart key in my jeans and it went through the washer once. Thankfully it survived. So I wouldn't worry about it. Unless for some reason you like washing key over and over again...

3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, they survive the wash.

4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the fob is pretty sealed. the genII is at least!.. hehe... the only issue is time.. over time my spare fob's rubber became disconnected (better then torn through) i was able to apply tiny amount of gorilla glue to attach it back to itself. once fully taken apart, i could see that the rubber's edge is cupped and the fob plastic sits in between these layers quite comfortably. (no damage.. just failed glues)

there is also a tiny gasket on the battery cover.

has anyone noticed the fob is etched out.. almost to obtain lightness or to make it more balanced. mine is almost perfectly balanced. i can hold it perfectly center with my finger and it sits flat.