1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Watts needed for 8.5 Amps

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cyberpriusII, May 19, 2018.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, I would need a 1020-watt generator or better to power an electrical appliance that uses 8.5 amps, right?

So, a 2000-watt Honda inverter should work, right?
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    kris

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Lets pretend your "electrical appliance" uses 120 volts AC.

8.5 amps X 120 volts = 1020 Watts.

So yes, if there is no 'surge' on startup, 2000 watts is more than enough.

cyberpriusII likes this.
  3. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, my brother owns a cabin out in the middle of nowhere. He has no utilities, but he is here this weekend and loves my electric blower -- it's on a 40 percent off deal at Home Depot through May 30.

He said he could use something like it at the cabin, but he has a 2,000 watt inverter, so I was thinking if it could handle it, I would buy him one.
    kris

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    cyberpriusII likes this.
  5. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The cabin doesn't have any utilities, specifically electrical service. The grid tie system referenced only works in conjunction with 240 Volt utility service. Lacking electrical service, a solar electric system requires a battery, which generally doubles the price. Note also that the wattage of a solar system is generally rated at the maximum theoretical power that could be produced with perfect sun at midday, low/moderate temperature, zero shading, during summer with the panels pointed exactly toward the sun. Reality averages out to more like 3kW 5 hours a day. Off grid systems like you'd use at a cabin are usually much more modest, like maybe half a kW of solar, plus a generator to cover low sun times such as extended bad weather and/or winter.

There is a unique series of inverters by SMA that can provide 2000 watts during an electrical outage, assuming there is enough sunlight to power it. It has a separate electrical outlet that can be used for emergency power without any batteries. But if a cloud blocks the sun, the available power drops, maybe even to zero. And obviously zero power at night.

I agree that his 2000 watt generator should be able to power the 1000 watt hair dryer, with enough left over to run at least a few lights.

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I would like to cover some technical basics:
    • gas engine generators - although very useful, they often suffer a delay when a heavy load is suddenly applied. If the blower has two speed settings, start with the lowest and after a few seconds for the generator to stabilize, go to high settings.
    • inverter-battery systems - they can respond in milliseconds BUT have hard limits for overloads. The overload rating is only for a fraction of a second, usually several tenths. A better approach is an oversized inverter.
    GOOD LUCK! (and keep the receipt)

Bob Wilson

7. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    And what powers the inverter......a gasoline/propane engine or some batteries ??

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This just screams FAIL! Grid-tie systems simply don't work in a ...
    I read that as a [leaf] blower, not hair dryer.

cyberpriusII likes this.
  9. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The SMA inverters that I mentioned are for grid tie systems. Usually a minimum of 3kw of solar panels, more frequently 5-10 kw. When the grid is active, the panels produce anywhere from zero to the maximum rated power. But when the power goes out, you can switch the inverter mode from grid connection to an isolated outlet good for up to 2000 watts limited by the available sunlight. Strictly an emergency mode to operate a few appliances like a refrigerator, washing machine, or USB charger during sunlight.

As for using a generator to power an electric leaf blower, why not just get a gas powered leaf blower? Or out in the woods, why even use a leaf blower? Once upon a time people used rakes and brooms...

Andyprius1 and cyberpriusII like this.
  10. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    And they lived happily ever after;).

cyberpriusII likes this.
  11. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Small gasoline two-cycle engines are tempermental little beasts, I use them, but if I have alternatives, I would go with them.

Sounds to me like a 2000W Honda gasoline powered inverter/generator. This is a not a gas/oil mix machine. Very reliable, very popular. They go for around $1000.

And, yes, I read leaf blower (or snow blower?), not a hair dryer.

But, it amazes me that a simple hair dryer uses the same amps as a leaf blower.

BTW, living on my little ranchette, using a blower cuts down labor/time/effort by about 2/3s.....important if you have something else to do, like lie around in a hammock. And, considering I have little hair left, a hair dryer saves me no time whatsoever. :D

#11 Stevewoods, May 20, 2018
    Last edited: May 20, 2018
  12. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Here's an advertising blurb about the SMA inverter. The newest ones can output 2000 watts, although this video is about an older version that is limited to 1500 watts. This is a string inverter that needs unshaded sun, or additional optimizers to adjust for partial shading. I prefer microinverters that automatically handle partial shading, but they are not available with this "secure power supply".

cyberpriusII likes this.
  13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm more amazed that the leaf blower requires as much as the simple hair dryer.

Hair dryers include electric resistance heaters, which are power hogs so of course they require many amps. A blower without heat ought to be able to operate on much less. But between inefficient cheaper motors drawing higher current, and customers accustomed to thinking that higher current motors are inherently more powerful, the manufacturers have very little incentive to install better motors with better efficiencies and power factors.

cyberpriusII likes this.
  14. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all:

A leaf blower comes in handy for a "sometimes" used cabin. Rather than show-up some Friday afternoon and spend some hefty time clearing outdoor spaces with rakes and brooms, the blower does the job quite quickly.

I have a monster Stihl backpack blower, but I love this new "little" $30 special for quick jobs around the house.

Thanks for the help all!!!!

Now where were all of you when we needed to use the Prius jack to remove the cast iron sink from our vanity top this morning!! That was a scary project!

Oh, yeah he has a gas powered Honda inverter, just like mine....

Andyprius1, RobH and Raytheeagle like this.
  15. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    After having 2-3 kids with the oldest around 12 years.

Bob Wilson

Raytheeagle likes this.
  16. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wow! Guess my image of outback living needs some updating.

About 20 years ago I went to a "Solar Living" gathering in John Day, Oregon. John Day was (is?) the largest city in the county, so large that it had (has?) an intersection with 3 color traffic lights. And another intersection with a flashing yellow light. Many attendees came in from the real out back to learn the latest in off grid power generation.

The latest in solar power was sine wave inverters, MPPT (Maximum Power Point Tracking) charge controllers, and foam insulated refrigerators. Oh, and automatic watering systems for the lead acid batteries. Solar panels in addition to utility power was a play toy for the rich, since there was no hope of breaking even financially. A large solar panel was 120 watts, and was available for the amazing price of $5/watt. There was an argument over whether solar panel trackers were still worth the extra cost and maintenance hassle.

The idea of reducing CO2 production was a weird idea by some ivory tower theorists. These people wanted solar to have electricity without a noisy gas powered generator. Lighting was incandescent bulbs, frequently 12 volt for use directly off the batteries. An inverter that worked would allow them to use ordinary kitchen appliances, instead of the limited market 12 volt versions.

I just recently purchased several 340 watt solar panels at $0.63/watt.

Ordinary refrigerators are as efficient as several thousand dollar offgrid units of 20 years ago. The big technology change has been foam insulation instead of fiberglass mat.

LED lighting uses 87% less electricity than incandescent.

All current grid tie inverters utilize MPPT. The main choice is between string and micro inverters. And whether to pay extra for a 25 year guarantee. My recommendation is to not pay anything extra for a long guarantee. You wont want today's technology 20 years from now. Future panels will be way more efficient, and probably come with micro inverters embedded. Or maybe they'll be obsolete, replaced with arrays of diodes that rectify ambient electrical noise.

Leaf blowers as off grid equipment? Nobody at that John Day gathering mentioned leaf blowers, whether electrical or gas. Who would have thunk...

Andyprius1 and Merkey like this.
  17. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Jack @14: possibly our first report of any success using that device.

RobH likes this.
  18. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I know it's OT to have any Prius stuff in Fred by definition. But seriously that 'jack' is a sick joke.

Somebody report these posts. I'm in the mood for some reprimanding ;)

19. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, 'tis true.

The Prius has a tiny jack. But, it snuggled perfectly into the small space under the sink and with two languorous cranks, the sink broke loose.

20. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Salubrious use of nugatory appliance.

cyberpriusII likes this.