1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wavy rear tires... second set.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by B. Roberts, Jan 22, 2010.

1. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My 05 has now ruined 3 sets of tires. Original tires got noisy at 10,000 mi. Kept them rotated and balanced. Bought new wheels and tires and 20,000 miles later, we could feel the flat spots and everyone else we went by could hear them loud and annoying. After an alignment, we replaced the tires... and within 15k miles we were rolling on loud and very scuppered tires... and noticed that the rears were the problem. I didn't rotate them to try to find out where the problems were being generated.

Scheduled maintenance with Toyota after I took off all the wheels and discovered that the rear hubs (especially rear passenger) were binding just a little. That rear right had 3 spots that you could feel resistance as it was spun. One of the spots was slightly stickier than the other 2.

Toyota service could not find anything wrong. They told me that they pullled the rear hubs, cleaned and lubed them... and that they are fine. I put a new set of tires on the car, again. Guess what?? Same thing happened to these. I didn't rotate them. The fronts are round and in good shape. The 2 rears look like they have waves on them. Same as before.

Anyone on this site ever see anything like this?

I have an appointment with Toyota Monday morning. I'm going to try to show the mechanic what the hubs feel like when they are rotated without a wheel on them. This is the only problem that this car has developed.

2. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What does the alignment printout show? Some tire places will put it on the rack and check it for free, might be good to have when you go back to the dealer. I'd expect the dealer would have noticed if you had any suspension problems (blown shocks, for example), but it's worth asking to be sure.

- D

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    [​IMG]

Any of these look like your tires?

4. B. Roberts

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No. Tread looks normal and then there is a large wear spot that is followed by three or four similar spots that decrease in depth and width.

A little less than a third of the tread circumference is affected. Shocks are still good. This type of wear pattern started to occur when the car was new.

The last two sets of tires developed the same wear pattern. One was a set of Goodyear TripleTreds and now a set of GoodYear RS-As.

I found a subtle binding when rotating the rear hubs, especially the rear right (passenger) side.

And yes, I will once again have the alignment checked. Everything was well within specs the last time the alignment was done.

5. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A little binding in the hub wouldn't do anything to your tire. Of course I'm taking "binding" to mean "uneven resistance." The term binding usually indicates something more severe. I noticed a little uneven resistance when I was adjusting the brakes earlier this week and I have yet to notice any wear issues. (I got 45k out of the original tires and I changed those well before they were down to the wear indicators. The new tires have about 12k on them with nice even wear all around.)

Play in the hubs is much more important. When you grab the wheel (with the car raised) and try to rock it from side to side, does it move? It shouldn't.

And as was already noted, the rear alignment may be out. It's more likely than not since these cars have a history of rear alignment issues. The good news is that, if that is the problem, you can shim-out the offending hub(s) to correct it.

6. B. Roberts

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just put the rear up in the air and rocked both rear wheels. No play. I also rotated the tire and visually noted where the bottom of the tire ends up in relation to the change in resistance (I like that term better than binding), and the wear spots do line up with the locations in rotation were the resistance starts to be felt.

Why would the hub offer those increased resistance spots? Seems to me it should always be smooth through the entire rotation.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is it possible that the brake drum interior is not perfectly round, so it is binding on a brake shoe at those locations that you noted?

8. B. Roberts

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Something has to be doing it, and it has been doing the same thing since I bought it. Can't see any deformation or wobble from the outside... but I will make sure that the Toyota tech looks at it. I plan to personally take the wheel off and have them turn the hub by hand so they can feel it.

It's not that subtle, especially with the wheel off.

9. mjustice

mjustice Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Just so that you know you are not alone. I have an 05 Pruis and had similar problems on two sets of rear tires. I had the alignment checked and the shop said the alignment was within specs. I went to the dealer who said I must have gotten a couple of bad tires. I went to the tire shop and they said it was over inflation. At that time I was running 42/41 psi. I have since reduced the inflation to Toyota's specs.

I am currently running studded snow tires and when I checked them last they were okay. Not certain what to suggest, but wanted to share in the frustration. Love our Pruis otherwise.

10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    On the 2006 I was running higher pressure and didn't damage the tires like that. The OEMs were the only tires on the car. Good luck getting the problem corrected.

11. B. Roberts

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks. I'll do my best to show the Toyota tech what I think is causing the uneven wear. He will feel the those hubbs slow in three spots as he turns them by hand.

The first time I took the car if to have this problem investigated, I didn't personally go back with the car. This time I will.

Hopefully they'll find the problem. My wife and I really have enjoyed this car for 5 years we have owned it. It will be getting ready for a little trip to Florida in late February. Road trip! But I really hope Toyota can fix the rear hubs, so I can keep a set of tires round for more than 10 to 15,000 miles at a time.

By the way, JimN, nice picture of the Tesla model S avatar.

12. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am somewhat suspicious of this - I had to shim one of the rear hubs on my car to correct rear toe in - the hub assembly does not appear to be adjustable and does not have any access to the sealed bearing(s) inside the unit - I would ask them specifically how they "lubed" the hub because I don't believe they can service it (there are no instructions in the service manual other than replacing the whole hub).

13. B. Roberts

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I understood that a hub has sealed bearings. I just reported what the service manager told to me. The reason I ran the second set of tires without rotating them was to see if the same problem cropped up again.

I'll try my best to get to the Toyota tech so I can show him the hub problem and also show him the results on the tires themselves. Now I don't even trust the alignment that they did.

I may take the car in to a local tire dealer for the alignment, depending how I get treated by Toyota service, and also since Toyota doesn't shim. I need to put a set of snow tires on it, so we can safely make a trip to Florida and back in late Feb and don't want to ruin the snows. Weird having to put snow tires on the car to go to Florida, but we have to get through most of New England to get there and then back into New England... and unfortunately, it will still be Winter up here.

14. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

Yep, I understand that the service manager told you that. I also ran into this problem when I tried to get the alignment fixed on my car. The service manager was either incompetent or confused - told me they fixed the problem but was unable to give me the details of how they fixed the alignment - a subsequent check at an independent shop showed that they did not fix the problem, they just "fixed" the alignment printout to show that they fixed the problem.

That is why I won't take my car back to that dealer for service. I can accept some level of incompetence - I cannot accept someone who will lie to me about it.

Good luck with talking directly to the tech - it seems that most dealers try to prevent contact between the customer and tech - that is why they have service managers.

15. B. Roberts

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm sure it won't be easy. The only way I can have them actually feel the problem and explain how the tire wear lines up with the places that have that increased resistance when turning the wheel and hub is to be right there with them. I don't want to have to deal with another one of those hub lube stories.

16. B. Roberts

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Got in to see the Toyota tech this morning. Explained and showed the increased resistance locations as the hub was turned by hand. Tech and Service Manager both said that it is a common occurrence in Prius and other cars. I mentioned that this is the first time I've run into this situation.

Recomendation was to send the car over to their alignment rack. The Service Manager brought up shims, not me. The alignment tech said that this is a fairly common problem on some Toyota products. Not a reasuring statement.

The alignment was done and the shims were installed. This time I did get a readout and toe was out of wack (outside tolerance) in front left and a bit out on the rears. All the other numbers were changed from near edge of tolerance to middle values.

The car now tracks as well as it ever has, although the trip home was not ideal for that test. Gobs of rain and high winds this afternoon. The storm should be out to sea later tonight, so maybe I can try it out under better conditions tomorrow. I'll instal the new snow tires later this week. Hopefully it's fixed. That just means another new set of rubber for the summer wheels, set # 3... not counting the short lived 15 inch Goodyear Integritys.

I've never had a car that chewed through tires this way. A woman, waiting for parts at the parts counter, told me that her Sienna was wearing sets of tires every 25 thousand miles. I'm and old Honda guy, so I'm not quite used to this.

17. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If it is a common problem have them show you another...and another...and another. IMO this is pure BS as they either don't want to fix the problem or don't know how to fix the problem. This was GM's attitude & it seems to have rubbed off on Toyota. Shame.

18. B. Roberts

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Kinda sad, but that's almost the same though I had as I heard those words, almost like the old... "they all do that" routine.

Maybe all corporations go through the same type of metamorphosis as they grow too big and complex. I'm more than just a little dissapointed.

19. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, at least you found someone competent to fix it. There have been quite a few reports of the rear alignment being out and a lot of shops will pretend (or falsely believe) that nothing can be done about it. The good news is that you should only have to fix it the one time.

20. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    At least you got a 4-wheel alignment, so you are making some progress.

Regarding the increase in resistance as you rotate the hub, a simple check would be to back off the rear drum brake adjuster on that wheel to see if the problem is caused by the brake shoes intermittently contacting the drum; or is caused by the hub itself.

If the problem is caused by the brakes, then you would probably have to replace the shoes (on both sides of the axle) and the affected drum.

If the problem is caused by the hub, then you would replace the hub.

It appears that your car is out of warranty, so is the problem bad enough so that you are willing to spend $500 or so to repair?