1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wax Options?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by macguyft, Nov 16, 2011.

1. macguyft

macguyft Environmental Wacko

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I should be picking up my new v3 in a week or so. This is an old issue that I'm sure has been drug through the mud (no pun intended). But still, I'm really curious... For those that hand wax your Prius, What product(s) do you use?

2. Gurple42

Gurple42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    As the others have noted. the newer polishes (non-wax) are great. I just bought a bottle of Meguiars for next time.

JeffD

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I still use Zaino polish on cars with good paint. Once they start to get rock chipped up then I just use Meguiar's.

6. gosharks

gosharks New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Another vote for Zaino! Lasts a long time and an incredible shine.

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Still have my Zaino's someone on this site recommended 5 yrs ago. Hope it has a good shelf life. The Zaino's kit comes with (or used to come with) a clay bar which I think is good thing for new car to get rusty particles off from the shipping.

8. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You are past the optimum life.

Zaino Store: Frequently Asked Questions

1 person likes this.
  9. SDprius3

SDprius3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have mine professionally sealed and pasted when I buy them. (also a good idea to have the interior fabric protected too) After that I wash and wax with Meguiars gold class. I am thinking of trying Zaino.

10. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I like 3M Performance Finish. It is a synthetic polimer resin (no wax) that chemically bonds to the paint and gives an incredible, long lasting shine. Best thing is it is so easy to "wax on" and "wax off." It has no cleaning compound in it so you can apply it to clear bra without scratching it up. Best of all, it leaves the paint feeling "slippery." It's hard to describe but you and all your friends will notice it. Here is a video about it.

It is not easy to find in auto parts stores but you can get it from 3M or Amazon. A lot of the guys on auto detailing sites I go to have given up the multi-step process requred by Meguiars and other products and gone strictly with 3M Performance Finish. (And no, I don't work for 3M.)

11. Mike James

Mike James Camaros and Prii go figure

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I use Meguiars Gold, very happy with results. Then every other year or so clay bar. When I first heard about the clay bar I thought it was a marketing gimmick. It is not, it really works. If your paint does not shine like new, then you need to clay. It pulls all the junk out of your old paint and makes it look new again.

12. Wuster

Wuster New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have been using the Meguiars 3 step (paint cleaner, polish, and wax). It works great, but take a bit of time to go through all 3 steps...

13. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    like Meguiar's tech 2.0 wax liquid. smells goood.

use light colored, high quality wash mitt / sponge, check for dirt in mitt. rinse in 2nd bucket. wash carefully my friend. two 5 gallon buckets with grit guards. measure out soap might as well.

*maybe* clay as needed, or not. thin coat of wax easier to buff off.

spritz a little Quik wax while drying (after regular wash). makes car glow.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mother's "Pure" carnuba paste wax (not to be confused with the cleaner paste wax which is a 2-in-1 polish/wax). It's my top coat. I claybar and use the sealant/glaze. It gives a pretty deep shine.

A lot of people here use Zaino and Meguiar's (I use meguiar's claybar)

Consumer Reports did give the Turtle Ice wax a pretty good rating (it's the current issue I think??) so I may give that a go once my current paste wax finish but that might be a while. I've been using it twice a year on two cars for nearly 5 years and I'm just half way through the tin can!

15. macguyft

macguyft Environmental Wacko

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for all the replies! I think I'm behind the times when it comes to these new polishes. Lot's of kudos for Zaino... And the new 3m product looks great too. Now I'll have to learn all the new technology gadgets in my new Prius v that's on it's way. My current 03' Matrix is old school when compared.

16. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are three important things to remember for good paint care.

1, Clean the paint before waxing or sealing it, including clay-barring and stay away from abrisives. Clay is an abrasive but it won't touch your paint if you use it the right way, just micro-stuff that sticks up from the paint.

2. Use a decent quality wax or sealant.

and 3, the hardest part...

3. Actually do it.

Actually doing it is far more important than which product you use, even though some products are far better than others.

To tell if your paint will benefit from a clay bar, put some soapy water on the paint, put you hand in a thin plastic bag or in saran wrap and lightly rub it over the paint surface. You will feel grit that you can't feel with your bare hand.

17. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    DP Poli-Coat is a great product. Easiest sealant I have ever applied/removed, great shine, good paint cleaning capabilities as well. I am anxiously awaiting the DP Max Wax Carnauba that I just ordered as well.

As the others mentioned, clay barring the car is important. Periodic polishing to remove swirls is also quite beneficial towards maintaining an excellent shine.

18. mrnoyb

mrnoyb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wash my 2011 Blizzard Pearl every two weeks and wax it every three to four months.

I start by hand washing it with Meguiar's Deep Crystal Car Wash applied with a microfiber mit. I dry it using a blade to remove the majority of the rinse water and finish with a microfiber drying towel.

I apply Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Plus Paste Wax by hand. I hand buff using a micro fiber polishing cloth.

19. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've gotten away from trying completely dry and buff out with drying towel. When it comes in garage, water's been 'sheeted' off, little water blade and electric blower for crevices. Then get the water off large area with towel, set down. Spritz with Quick wax (any quick detail wax), wipe with polishing cloth. Takes a little longer, but the shine, oh my.

20. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    (since noone mentioned) go with brazilian