1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Waxing a new car

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jamarimutt, Mar 5, 2006.

1. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

I wash my Prius every week but wax it only three or four times a year. It always looks like new.

The other night I watched "Paint" in Modern Marvels, and they talked about how much car paint has improved and about the protection and shine offered by topcoats. My question is: does waxing the Prius offer any advantages nowadays, or was this useful years ago, when paint technology was inferior and top coats were not used?

2. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You absolutely still need to wax your car. While paint technology has increased tremendously from the days of old, waxing protects the paint from ahderance of bonded contaminents, staining, water spotting, and oxidation. You will definately notice a difference over the years if you were to stop waxing the paint. Keeping the car waxed also helps keep it cleaner longer between washes since it makes it harder for dirt to adhere, and it also makes the car easier to wash and dry.

You're probably fine at 3-4 times a year depending on the product you're using, the color of your Prius, and your climate. Also don't forget to clay every spring!

3. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Thanks for the reply, I'll continue waxing the car periodically. :)

4. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No problem ;)