1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Waxing and Waning

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Alnilam, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    On a neighboring thread (Zaino...WOW!) there are about 110 posts dating back to the invention of the wheel describing the eternal benefits of Zaino. Their website lists about 25 products and verbage to rival "War and Peace" in length. Folks, this is WAY TOO MUCH INFORMATION (WTMI).

Could somebody simplify this seemingly ultra-complex problem of waxing your car with Zaino in a finite amount of time: you know, short enough so I don't have to go in and shave again? I've read enough to consider Zaino a good product, worthy of my purchase. Let's start there.

What I'm asking for is a checklist with steps to take using a basic number of blessed Zaino products (I do believe, I do believe!) to make my new (white) Prius look pretty good for a couple of months when I must do it all over again and don't feel like I'm counting the hours to my execution until then. My car doesn't have to win a Concours d'Elegance, but should look good enough so that my wife can appreciate the difference between the work I put in versus her getting the $30 wax special at the carwash.

Something like:

1) Wash car using XXXXXXXX and bottled water.
    2) Dry it with XXXXXXX.
    3) Prepare for the Big Wax using XXXXXXX.
    4) Wax/Polish/Gloss (whatever the subtle differences are in these terms) in what order using XXXXXXX.
    5) Use drying/polishing cloths from virgin XXXXXXX.
    6) Sustain yourself during all of this with a nice cold XXXXXXX. (Important step here!)

You get the idea. I can follow instructions pretty well. I don't want a philosophy lesson (WTMI.)

This is not to mock the purists out there (well, not too much anyhow) who want the ultimate, but I'm finding that the perfect is becoming the enemy of the good. Like Rodney King said, "Can't we all just have good looking cars?" (In less than 25 coats!)

I've never done much more than just wash my car and put on a coat of wax from whatever can I found out in my garage. Then I rubbed it off. Done. Miller time! I'm willing to do more, but not devote my waning retirement years to the project. I don't care if my daughter inherits a car that glows in the dark. I understand that an older car might require a step or two more to get it back to basics. This could be added as a footnote. Ex: *) For badly faded surfaces, call Earl Scheib. (That might bring back memories.)

If you were doing this for a living and had to pump out good looking cars that stayed that way long enough so your satisfied customers might someday return, and were getting paid by the job, not by the hour, how would you do it?

I've probably, with my simple ways, irritated all the experts who could give me a concise answer, but maybe I'll strike gold here. I'm hoping! Let's keep this light and bright. Thanks for trying anyhow.

2. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  3. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is what I did to get my car to shine.

1. Wash car with liquid Dawn.

2. Use clay bar with Z-7 Show Car Wash as a lubricant.

3. Wash car with Z-7 Show Car Wash.

4. Use Z-5 PRO Show Car Polish for Swirl Marks and Fine Scratches

5. After Z-5 dries wipe off the Z-5 and then wipe down the car with Z-6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray

6. Repeat 4 and 5 until you get a swirl/scratch free surface. It took me 3 coats. Actually I wanted to use 3 coats just because. :D always use Z-6 after you wipe off the Z-5.

7. Use Z-2 PRO Show Car Polish for Clear Coated Car Finishes

8. After Z-2 dries wipe off Z-2 and wipe down the car with Z-6. Always finish with Z-6.

9. Repeat 7 and 8 until your happy with the shine of the car. Again I used 3 coats but i'm adding 3 more coats of Z-2 when I have time.

10. I finished off my car with a wipe down using Z-8 Grand Finale Spray Seal.

11. If your out in the sun you may want to put on some shades. ;) B)

I hope i did everything right. I went by the tips and guides on the Zaino store.

4. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hey, this is moving along better than I thought!

OK: Brandon (Good post. I missed the original) and theforce (Thank you, too) agree on:

1) Dawn
    2) Clay bar
    3) Z-7
    4) Z-2
    5) Z-6
    6) 3 coats of Z-2 and Z-6

theforce added Z-5 for swirls and scratches (sort of like my footnote request for cars in less than perfect condition and probably more important on his red car versus my white one) and tops it off with Z-8. No preferential cloths or skins mentioned.

Brandon skipped the Z-5, but his pictures show a car with paper plates still on it, so it is probably about as scratchless as they come. (Another question: how old should the car be before this attack on its skin?) He doesn't Z-8 it at the end. Is this critical? If I remember, both did about three coats with Z-2 and Z-6. This sound like enough/too much? How important is Brandon's ZFX to the process?

Brandon gets his cloths from Pakistan and, heaven knows, they need the business. I will try to follow suit. He also waxes eloquent (a pun here :D ) about Z-12 on his glass and I will try it, never having had much luck with the Windex.

Awaiting further votes on the ZFX, Z-5 and Z-8, I will start preparing my order form. Are clay bars all about the same, and the lubricant that is mentioned everytime I see them discussed?

No life-saving refreshments were mentioned by either, so I'll just assume they are both members of some fundamentalist group, respect that, and continue with my own cold Newcastle.

5. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Jul 9 2006, 04:20 PM) [snapback]283461[/snapback]</div>
    Zaino recommends 100% cotton bath towels but I used old bath towels and don't know if they are 100%. The only 100% cotton that I used was the free applicator I got from Zaino.

I had to wait about 6 months only because I was wanting to put a clear bra on and the weather was too cold to do that. Plus I had a major scratch to fix that set me back a few months. If it was not for the weather and the setbacks I would have put Zaino on the day I got my car. 3 coats of each should be plenty and I think its whats recommended in one of the tips on the Zaino store. ZFX just helps the Z-5 and Z-2 dry faster and is not needed if your patient and can wait an hour or two for it to dry. Otherwise ZFX will help it dry in about 30 min.

I have tried the Z-12 and it works about like rain-x but I still like rain-x better.

Get ZXF if you impatient and want to do a quick job. Use Z-5 even if you cant see anything because it may help give a better gloss. I cant really back that up but its up to you if you want to use it. Z-8 I only bought so I could use it after I wash the car. After a good wash with Z-7 I dry off the car and put on the Z-8 to make sure it gets that glossy look.

6. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just a few followup notes:

The car was about 1.5 years old when I first applied Zaino (that "paper plate" was actually a blurred permanent tag - photoshop for the paranoid :) ). I imagine you could start using the product as soon as you want to, however.

The cloths don't necessarily need to come from Pakistan - I just bought what was available. Zaino's website makes a point to use only towels made in the USA - not sure why, maybe it has something to do with the materials. To me, 100% cotton seems to be the only major requirement; something that won't create swirl marks.

And speaking of swirls, if you look closely enough at the surface of my car, you can see some swirl marks. They weren't noticeable enough to me, so I opted to forego the Z-5 treatment. Don't really know why I passed up the Z-8 Grand Finale spray; probably figured I had spent enough already!

I imagine most claybars are the same; some come with their own lube, but you can just use Z-7 if you want.

One last thought - Don't use Dawn (or any other dish soap) regularly on your car. Think of it as a stripper and not a car soap.

There is a lot more related information on Zaino's website:

Tips and Tricks

Application Tips

FAQs

7. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    1. Cut small wedges of lime.
    2. Chill a few Coronas on ice.
    3. Wash car with Dawn.
    4. Clay bar with the diluted Z wash. Cap full in spray bottle.
    5. Wash the car with Z wash. Cap full in bucket.
    6. Dry with cotton towels. All towels mentioned should be 100% cotton. If you have a leaf blower blow off the car and it will make drying easier.
    7. Apply the Z2 with the ZFX additive since you are going to put on multiple coats. Dampen applicator with a few sprays of Z6 so the Z2 distributes better.
    8. After Z2 dries in about 15-20 mins wipe off.
    9. Go over the whole car again with the Z6 Gloss enhancer. This step is mainly to get off all the Z2 you might not have gotten off to begin with in step 8.
    10. Repeat steps 8 and 9 until you have no more than 3 coats of Z2 built up.
    11. Open Corona. This and the following steps can be inserted anywhere between steps 2 and 10.
    12. Push wedge of lime into bottle.
    13. Drink.
    14. Repeat steps 11, 12 and 13 until you have at least 3 bottles empty. Unlike Zaino, more is better.

On a light car the Z5 swirl filler doesn't do much. I have a silver Prius and a silver Tacoma and I can not tell any difference when using it. I would also not recommend the Z8 super gloss stuff since it's a lot more money and I can't see any difference on my silver paint. Zaino is very easy on and off but time consuming since you are basically wiping the car completely about 10 times when you figure in all the steps from washing to that first pull on the bottle (assuming you waited till after step 10).

8. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Oh yeah, the drink? Some like a frosty cold beer, but I prefer the caffeinated sugar rush provided by an ice-cold Mountain Dew. :D

9. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks again. I am about to order the Show Quality Kit from Zaino (includes everything except the Z-8) and also the Z-8 on the side. I'll do the three coats you both recommend and I thank you for your help here.

I can hardly wait to stick the ZAINO sticker on my glowing car! :mellow: Who would do such a thing?

10. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Jul 9 2006, 04:18 PM) [snapback]283478[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: not I, said me. That would seem to defeat the purpose!

11. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Koa,

I got your checklist. I figured the Z-5 might not be worth it but it comes out virtually free in the kit order. I'll try the Z-8 just because they rant about it so much and I am rolling in money. (I have another car the Z-5 might help.)

I have a very small battery powered Makita leaf blower that Sharper Image sold for a while before replacing it with their present piece of junk. It'll be perfect.

But best of all: your Corona step(s). You know, I've had it with the lime in bars but never got around to doing that at home. You see how lazy I am. Thanks. Used to fly to Hawaii a lot and liked hiking back to Sacred Falls.

12. Lil Mo

Lil Mo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(koa @ Jul 9 2006, 02:12 PM) [snapback]283473[/snapback]</div>
    Okay - I can understand those instructions....

:p

13. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You've got the gist, Bob. But there's a little test to see if you need the tedious clay bar treatment: After the Dawn wash (you are an early riser, aren't you?) put your hand inside a baggie (ziplock or sandwich, as you prefer) and run your fingertips over the wet finish. If it's smooth (or smooth enough) you don't need to clay bar. If it feels gritty, a good clay bar cleaning will improve the look, but you can put Zaino on anyway, it just won't be that show car shine.

It may not matter on white that much. If you have any color streaks (rusty water, etc.) the clay bar can help those.

14. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, I ordered all the stuff from Zaino and tracking indicated it made it all the way out here to California. But then disaster struck and, I'm guessing, the box started leaking. UPS terminated the shipment. It's all on its way back to New Jersey now and I'll have to wait another week or two before I can put all your good instructions to use. Thanks again for all the help.

By the way, Dawn comes in two versions: Regular and something called Dawn Oxi, which I bought. Any real difference here?

I forgot to order the glass wax from Zaino and wound up with RainX instead. That OK?

15. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Jul 14 2006, 01:43 PM) [snapback]286280[/snapback]</div>
    Man that sucks. UPS really needs to quit kicking boxes like footballs. I swear ever box I get from UPS is badly damaged or has holes in them. :angry: Luckily I have had no damage to the products so far.

I don't know about dawn oxi. I just bought regular.

I like RainX better than Zaino for the glass. After I use up my Zaino i'm going back to RainX. I might even give the Zaino to my brother just to get rid of it.

16. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Jul 14 2006, 12:43 PM) [snapback]286280[/snapback]</div>
    Man, that sucks. But if your afternoon temps are anything like they are around here (100 and humid), you'll be glad to wait until next weekend!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Jul 14 2006, 12:43 PM) [snapback]286280[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know that it makes a difference. I used the original "blue" Dawn (I believe the label actually said Dawn Complete).

I tend to believe that these products have mutually exclusive purposes, and one is not meant to "replace" the other. Z-12 is intended to clean the glass, remove acid rain and water spots, etc. It can also remove (or reduce the obviousness of) fine to medium scratches. Rain-X, on the other hand, is intended to repel moisture and keep snow from sticking to your windshield.

17. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Jul 14 2006, 02:06 PM) [snapback]286301[/snapback]</div>
    The glass polish that Zaino sells works really well at getting the glass super clean. I used a PorterCable polisher with it and there was absolutely clean glass when I was done. If you take a wet rag and wipe your glass and right before it dries if there are water spots, this will remove them. It will be a lot of work by hand polishing. If you use the polish wash the car after since there will be fine residue left over in all the cracks. I use a product called Aquapel which will last for months instead of days like RainX. Here's where I get it:
    http://www.autobodydepot.net/scripts/depot...pgm=aquapel.bbx

I meant to quote the OP but this still applies. Didn't want to retype it.