1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Way to monitor temps and other data?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Rocinante, Apr 19, 2022.

1. Rocinante

Rocinante Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'm looking for something to monitor temperatures. I have a Bluetooth OBD adapter. Are there any apps that can show me this data while I'm driving?

I know about Dr. Prius, does it only show battery info or is there other info too?

Is there a sensor for the inverter temp? Transmission temperature? Battery fan speed?

I have OBD Link but sometimes doesn't connect while the engine is running.

Any ideas? What are you using?

2. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Rocinante likes this.
  3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Prius P10 Scanner.jpg

P10 Scanner hardwired to obd2. I leave it simple with a set of alarms for temperature and accurate mph. It does have a variety of data displays including trouble codes and clearing but I use a bluetooth scanner for the rare occasions other functions are needed.

Rocinante likes this.
  4. Rocinante

Rocinante Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    - hybrid assistant

Wow looks like this has everything I'm looking for, I'll definitely give it a try thanks.

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The free version of OBD Auto Doctor has an easy way to monitor coolant temp and RPM.

6. John321_SA

John321_SA New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    From my understanding, Gen 2 + Gen 3 have two coolant tanks and 2 coolant pumps (one near the engine and one near the inverter) - essentially two coolant sub-systems that run through the same radiator.

When an app like Auto Doctor shows you “coolant temp” it’s showing you the average coolant temperature of all the coolant running through the car, right?

There’s no real way to isolate and solely measure the inverter’s coolant temperature right?

(If this should be on a new thread, please let me know. I’m still new here)

7. John321_SA

John321_SA New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Any iOS apps that show inverter temperature?
    Apparently Hybrid Assistant displays inverter temp but Hybrid Assistant is only available on Android

()

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No, there are separate PIDs for the engine coolant temperature, and for several other temperatures in the power electronics section (temperatures at the inverter sections driving MG1 and MG2, temperatures of the windings in MG1 and MG2, and one or two others if I remember right). A Gen 3 Prius even has two different sensors for the engine coolant temp.

The engine coolant temperature is the most cross-vehicle standard PID (pretty much every car has an engine with coolant, or did until pretty recently), so that's the one that most generic apps are going to show you as the "coolant temperature" without any extra arrangements. (In Gen 3, it's the reading from the sensor in the cylinder head.)

You can see the others by looking for an app that has those PIDs predefined for a Prius, or by getting an app that lets you define custom PIDs, and searching (here in these forums or elsewhere on the internet) for postings where people have reverse-engineered how to define them.

PriusCamper likes this.
  9. John321_SA

John321_SA New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Found an app (Car Scanner ELM OBD) that works quite well for this.
    UI is not the prettiest but for use-cases that require viewing sensor data, we could potentially call this app a Hybrid Assistant alternative for iOS users. (Haven't used Hybrid Assistant, just read about it online)

upload_2022-5-12_13-57-4.png

PriusCamper likes this.
  10. Michciu94

Michciu94 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hybrid Assistant is best i think :)