1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wayne Brown's Palm simulator now available [EDIT: And Windows version too]

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by JimboK, Jun 5, 2007.

1. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    "Update June 2, 2007: -- A fully functional Palm OS version of the program is now available as a 15 Day Trial"

I promptly downloaded and installed the trial version, and I gotta say, this is a slick application. How it works is described in great detail on his site, but in short, it will compute estimated MPG for the Prius based on a wide variety of user-defined variables such as weather, passenger weight, tire rolling resistance, etc., etc.

It's $22 to purchase.

In an e-mail exchange with Wayne he said that he hoped to have a Windows version up soon, also $22. Buyers of either version can get the other for only an additional $5. Each version will have its own distinct benefits.

I should mention that this "marketing" post is totally my idea (and for no compensation), though it carries his blessing. He acknowledges he's a techie, not a salesman, and is reluctant to toot his own horn.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been using beta versions of Wayne's simulators for a few years now and I'm glad to hear that it's finally available to everyone for purchase.

3. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Jun 5 2007, 06:31 PM) [snapback]456182[/snapback]</div>
    Good news. I've been using Wayne's Palm version for several months.

Maybe I can pay him for it now.

Dave M.

4. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Update: The Windows version is now up. Here's a screen shot:

Attached Files:

5. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just downloaded it. Seems pretty cool. I only have a few issues with it. All of which I emailed Wayne about.

1. The MPH and MPG large text gets cut off on my PC.

2. Needs support for 800x480 screens for a Car PC.

3. Registration code gets locked to the PC hardware you register to. This means if you change hardware you have to get a new license. I quit buying software like this because its a PAIN if the company or person disappears and there are no crack for the software. Wayne said he would be staying around for a long time and would send out new codes to people like me that change hardware often but I still think thats a HUGE PAIN.

That last one is the only thing thats going to keep me on edge on if I should buy it or not. I believe in protecting your software but only if you can install it without hassle. At most I'm willing put put up with just a unique key assigned to me. Any software that ties me down to one PC ( as in tied to a hardware ID or similar so if your hardware dies your screwed ) or requires online or over the phone activation I try to avoid like the Hummer.

And yea I'm running XP Pro but its the corporate edition so I dont have to activate it every time I do a reinstall (which I just did today). I have a real XP pro key right here so I'm kind of legit. :)

6. bigmahma

bigmahma New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheForce @ Jun 11 2007, 07:49 PM) [snapback]459806[/snapback]</div>
    Wow - that's pretty cool!

7. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheForce @ Jun 11 2007, 07:49 PM) [snapback]459806[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, Jay. I'll make sure my registered version is on the one machine I use most often.

I didn't see the display issue on my desktop, but I did on my laptop (the machine I'll have it registered on). I'll let Wayne know it's not just your problem.