1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ways to convince my dad that my 2011 prius will be greater than his Mercedes C200 kompressor

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Yiannifun, May 9, 2011.

1. Yiannifun

Yiannifun New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey prius chatters! My dad usually sais to me "you are going to spend so much money for the prius that you could have bought a second hand mercedes like mine"
    When i get tje car, what do you think is the best way to make him feel its better?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Keep accurate expense records.

3. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So you could have spent the same amount on a used Mercedes - big deal! Whether you pay cash or finance, you're ahead by a long shot. Show him your gas receipts after every fill up, and your service receipts at every maintenance interval and compare to his, then tally up the savings! Keep a running tab - you'll see your savings add up quickly and put his ongoing expenses to shame!:boxing: After a year or two, let's see who's farther ahead. Of course, the prestige of owning a Mercedes is priceless!:p:rolleyes:

4. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My dream car used to be a Mercedes E320. After Chrysler and Mercedes merged years ago, I relazed that they began to share parts and some platforms, so that ruined any thoughts I had that Mercedes was a fine automobile. Afterall, who wants a car with Mopar on it!

Now my dream car is my Prius. I've never loved a car as much as this one. I'm thoroughly enjoying the high MPGs, technology, low emissions, low maintenance costs and the fun-to-drive experience even after a year.

Convincing your dad is a no-brainer, dude!

5. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Let him drive it. :)

1 person likes this.
  6. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Make him wash and wax it at least three times before he is allowed to drive it!:D Of course, if daddy paid for your new Prius then that's not right now , is it?

7. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wouldn't bother. I suspect that no matter what you say, he will respond "but it isn't a Mercedes".

8. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Agreed...will probably never happen.

9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    +1.
    Don't bother, but keep accurate expense records anyway.
    Figures don't lie, even though liars do figure...:D

10. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think he is only thinking of owning a Mercedes badge, not really of the total car ownership experience. It is a conclusion he has already embraced, so one he is not likely to be shaken from, regardless of the experience of owning a better car.

For old fogeys like me, it used to be "Mercedes" had some cache when a show of profligacy was something people valued. Of course, if you go back to my youth, a Lincoln or Cadillac had the same cache, when Mercedes were just some odd-ball looking car (and so were Porsche's.)

Just roll your eyes and call him an old fogey - and tell him to button up his shirt, too.

11. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    TCO - total cost of ownership

How long would you keep a 5yr old Benz? The longer you keep it, the more expensive it gets to maintain / repair it. Use data from your Dad.

First 5 years of a new Prius is only an air filter and a few oil changes, say every 8,000 - 9k miles. The Benz would be at least every 5k miles.

Type of fuel, people I know with the higher end cars MUST use Premium instead of Regular.

Between years 5 to 10 with a new Prius, you might need a brake job near the end, spark plugs, one xmission oil change, another air filter.

Ah, tires. If you want better MPG you get the low resistance, they cost more and use up faster. Then again you could use regular tires made for Corolla / Camry and sacrifice 2-3 MPG at highway speeds.

I'm willing to bet that the maintenance on a 5yr old Benz, kept 5 years, and driven 80k miles, to be very high. What about your lost time at the garage? Brake job twice a year, oil change every 5k miles, the tune-ups - which is worse when you have "true" 4 seasons.

My bet is that in 2011, you have to buy a 1999 or 2000 Benz that has less than 150k miles, to break even with a new Prius, if both are kept 10 years.

IOW, driving a new now kept for 10 years, or a 10 yr old car kept until age 20...!

The 20 yr old Benz will be worth 500$ bucks...the 10 yr old G3 Prius will be worth 5k$ if not more.
    * cost + interest to buy both
    * maintenance cost (Prius over 10 years is probably a big total of 2k$)
    * fuel cost
    * tire cost, wiper cost, a set of front bulbs (no need to calc for Prius, warranty)

If you do this calc, come back and post it please !!!

One thing for sure, buying used all the time is cheaper than new all the time.

Why not buy a used G2 Prius? Consider that 98% if not higher will make it to 300k miles w/o any repairs. At all.
    (no brake job, no muffler to change, no alternator to change, no shock absorbers to change, no rusted through doors, no tune-ups, etc)

I've seen used G2 Prii below 15k$ in Canada at less than 100k miles - peanuts for this car - of course cheaper in the USA.

Ah, Greece. So we would be comparing a DIESEL to a regular petrol car. In my opinion, it's an even easier choice. Diesels require tune-ups galore !

12. GWhizzer

GWhizzer not so Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Let me flip this around. Why would you buy a second-hand Mercedes when you could have a brand-new Prius? Now, before all you Mercedes aficianados get up in arms, if that is what you want, if that is what turns your crank, then by all means buy it. But seriously, we're buying transportation here. The Prius is perfectly comfortable, reliable, and yes, with the (depending on what you project) fuel savings, even economical. Plus you get to reduce your impact on Mother Earth as a bonus...

13. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Brainwashing ;)

14. wstevensiv

wstevensiv New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    you wont get him...sounds just like my old man. he is Irish and swears by Mercedes as if it were the gold standard.

in his mind you just cant beat them...hes happy so im happy.

plus it gives us something to fight about...how im the tortoise and hes the hare...all that

15. Nandros

Nandros Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My fellow-countryman,

I presume that your father is talking about the classic size (sedan) Mercedes and not the small A model.
    A brand new Prius, the simple model, costs now abt 28.400 euro.
    Pls go to this site: MERCEDES and you can compare the cost of a new Prius with various used models of Mercedes.
    This as far as the initial cost is concerned.
    All the arguments of the prius-chatters above, for the annual cost for fuel/maintenance/lost value/etc, are more than valid. You know how it is in Greece! If you drive a Mercedes you have money, which you should share with your dealer, who will make the maintenance to you car!
    I doubt that you shall manage to convince your father. He is "glued" in the past, when a Mercedes was an excellent, long lasting car. Nowadays this is not true any more.

Xairetismous
    Nandros

16. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The way I see it, for the same up-front cost as a used midlife crisis, your dad could have bought a brand new Prius.

Your overall expenses will be considerably less. Sounds like your dad did a great job raising a fiscally responsible child.

17. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Last 2 tanks in Accord Coupe - 23 mostly city. 38 all highway MPG ...

Under the same conditions, I could have scored about 53 city / 50 hwy in 3rd gen Prius.

The gas, tires, brakes, insurance and cost savings add up with Prius.

18. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Couple of years ago I was at a gas station when a Mercedes driver said "nice car!" to me. May be something like this will happen to you when your dad is present. :)

19. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Now that I think about it, I have a friend from Nigeria who swore by Mercedes, and was in the market for another used one, when I made him go drive an Avalon - brand new. He bought it the same day. He laughs at the idea of owning a used Mercedes now that he has a new Avalon. It is a more comfortable ride (he has a very bad back, so knows what he is talking about), better mileage, much better features (leather, nav, etc.) and better fit and finish, etc.

(I should add that Mercedes is finally upgrading their interiors with the new C Class. That is the low-hanging fruit for car companies these days who upgrade the interior, and people think they have a better car. Numb nertz)

20. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It never ceases to amaze me how many thousands of dollars car companies can get out of people by adding a couple hundred dollars (retail) worth of printed grain, wood (maybe) dipped in plastic.