1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

WE CAN'T CHANGE YOUR OIL / you have the WORLD FLUID in there...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by KD6HDX, Sep 29, 2007.

1. KD6HDX

KD6HDX New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This is my first time starting a topic:

Yesterday, I took our 05 Prius to Longo Toyota here in So Cal. I wanted a transmission fluid drain and refill, and my coolant system to be drained, flushed and refilled with new coolant. 2 hours later, my car is ready and the price was a lot lower than I thought it should be. I looked at the paperwork and discovered they only performed the radiator coolant drain flush and fill job order. The reason given for not completing the transmission fluid change was stated as, "HAS WORLD FLUID, NOT ABLE TO CHANGE IT".

I paid the lower price and then asked to speak to the service writer, who said, "they can't even check the oil or replace it, it has the world fluid". I said, but I like to do preventive maintenance and I already have 70K miles in 2 years of ownership and I want the fluid changed. He was polite and stuck to his story.

This is the dealer where I bought the car from. I have the extended warranty, and I just want my Prius to last a long time. I mentioned all that to the service writer and he agreed with me, but said his technicians could not do the job. I said OK, and scratched my head while I drove home from the dealer. Let me say that I really like Longo Toyota, they are a first class operation and I trust there opinions. But I want to know from any of the hybrid trained technicians here on PC what they think of this.

Can somebody tell me if I should accept this or demand a fluid change? Why did this dealer deny me the service and should I be OK with it?

Riddle me this Batman.......

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You should demand the change and many of us recommend that it be done just about this time...I did mine at 60k miles.

3. KD6HDX

KD6HDX New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks Evan,

I will be calling their service department this week and inquiring further into why this cannot be done. Hopefully somebody there will be able to explain this to me and possibly convince me if it sounds right. I would much rather change it out and do the right thing. But the service writer almost made it sound like it was not recommended.

Will report back later after I start calling today.......

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The next thing you'll face is probably that it's not 'required'/recommended until 100k miles. You'll just need to stick to your guns that you've done the research and several posted used analysis have confirmed that excessive wear and mineral collection even at 60k and you'd prefer use an abundance of caution to protect the ICE.

5. KD6HDX

KD6HDX New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Protect the ICE? I was hoping to protect the eCVT. All of my oil changes since 5K miles have been Mobil 1 synthetic. Hopefully the ICE is protected. How does the tranny fluid so to speak, protect the ICE?

....going to the phone....

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    misspoke/typed....of course it's the transaxle/psd.

7. KD6HDX

KD6HDX New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Roger - copy,

I just called, and they're real busy now, but I will call during the week when the chances are much better that I will be able to speak to a service manager, and not my service writer. My service writer was with another customer, and his voice mail was offered to me, but I declined and said that I would rather ask my questions to a service manager.

So I'll try on Monday and post the results right here.

8. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Stealerships would never lie...would they?

This is why I do all the service myself!

9. KD6HDX

KD6HDX New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ...hopefully they are a dealership, and not a Stealership. I may try it myself, but I would feel better having them do it. I do my own air oil and cabin filter changes myself.

wish me luck.

10. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    LOL. the biggest prius shop in the nation doesn't know how to drain and fill trans fluid.

yep it's sealed in there nice and tight. no way to get it out. you're stuck with it forever. :rolleyes:

11. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe they don't bother to carry the correct fluid????

12. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Gee, you usually have to talk a dealer out of gratuitously changing fluids.

13. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KD6HDX @ Sep 29 2007, 10:45 AM) [snapback]519091[/snapback]</div>
    If you still get the run-around, you might want to consider going to another dealer.

14. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Go to spare parts and buy the oil then deliver it to the service manager with the car, somewhere here there must be an ilustration of where the drain and refill plugs are. Print a copy, hand that to him and tell him he needs to join PriusChat.com

15. KD6HDX

KD6HDX New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    UPDATE:

I just got a callback from one of the Service Managers at Longo. He mentioned that Toyota does not recommend that service until 120K miles or at 60K miles if you are towing a trailer. :blink: He also stated that they would do it if I wanted it done. Later this week I will have it done, probably next Thursday or Friday.

While on the phone with him, I mentioned that I would like a discount of at least 15% because I had to go to them again and I live a considerable distance from them. When I went the first time for the coolant drain and fill, plus the tranny fluid change, I had a 15% coupon that they had sent me in the mail. He agreed to the discount and said that he would add this request to my account info. Maybe I will just ask for an oil change coupon instead?

I made it clear to him that I was not calling to complain about the service writer, A couple of times I mentioned him by name and stated that he was polite, and also agreed with me that he would feel better having it done sooner than later. So I did not want to get the guy in trouble. My faith has been restored with Longo. During the conversation I mentioned that I had spoke with several people on-line about this, and that many hybrid technicians recommended the service sooner than later. Maybe this is why they will do it? Anyway, I will report back when the service is complete, and if there is any noticeable improvement in the vehicles overall operation / fuel efficiency / yada.

Our Prius will never tow anything, except my brother in laws fat-nice person...... :lol:

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KD6HDX @ Oct 1 2007, 02:16 PM) [snapback]519931[/snapback]</div>
    Not mine

It's fairly easy to change yourself. Just remember to take the FILL plug off first. Mine was on so tight from the factory, even with a proper 6-point socket, I just about couldn't get it off. Although I did manage to mumble humorous new combinations of very bad words

Using an outboard lower-unit gear oil pump, it was easy to refill the case. With my 4 litre tin can of WS fluid, I had perhaps 250 ml left over.

Don't let anybody talk you into a "flush." It's patently impossible on a +2004 Prius. There is a drain plug and a fill plug. If you really are worried about crap in the case, drive a week or so, and drain/refill again. The drain plug magnet will be a strong clue to if an accelerated drain/fill is called for

17. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I actually think that the 100K or 120K service interval should be fine. The Prius Transaxle does not have any clutches or bands that slip against each other like ordinary transmissions or CVT. It has a single fixed gear ratio and is more like a differential as far as service needs would be concerned. How often do people change their differntial fluid? I believe there is also a heavy chain in there too, but that is more like an extra heavy timing chain in the engine.

18. MrK

MrK New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ Oct 3 2007, 08:58 PM) [snapback]520964[/snapback]</div>
    Jayman, I was under my Prius, and I would question whether changing the CVT fluid is fairly easy. I couldn't even find the fill plug or drain plug! Where are they hidden? I've looked, but cannot find a link or thread on Priuschat that tells me.
    What size is the 6-point socket, as I wouldn't want to round off any corners. Is it really a socket, or is it an allen wrench? (I guess I'd know which it is if I could find the plugs.)
    Any direction you can provide would be most appreciated!

19. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MrK @ Oct 4 2007, 10:43 AM) [snapback]521189[/snapback]</div>
    http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/maint50k/

20. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KD6HDX @ Oct 1 2007, 12:16 PM) [snapback]519931[/snapback]</div>
    So, they finally got the service book in that has the instructions? :blink: