1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

we can't find Package 5 Non-touring here... so

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pola, May 12, 2007.

1. pola

pola New Member

We're thinking of getting a Garmin or other portable Nav. system for a package 3 or 4 Non-Touring.

Is there any reason to get package 4 over package 3 ?
    It's confusing re: the price difference... they look like they are similarly priced. ???
    Are HID headlights that great on package 4 ? They don't come on package 3.
    We don't use Bluetooth. It looks like the main difference betw. package 3 and 4 is the HID headlights.
    How many of you have the 'extra mile option' ?

Thanks very much,
    pola

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pola @ May 12 2007, 07:30 PM) [snapback]440760[/snapback]</div>
    The pricing confusion is due to Toyota's sliding scale price reductions on the option packages. Higher packages have higher discounts. This may very well result in a more fully equipped car costing less than a lower one. I don't have HID lights and don't miss them. Those that have them love them. HIDs will cost more when they need to be replaced.

I don't know what the "extra mile option" is so I suspect it is a dealer or port add on of dubious value.

3. pola

pola New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ May 12 2007, 07:02 PM) [snapback]440766[/snapback]</div>

Thanks, Jim, for all your help tonite.
    I'm trying to recall which Garmin nav. you use.
    I will look back into the posts.
    do you use a magnifier on it ? where did you install it ?
    thanks again !
    best,
    pola

4. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pola @ May 12 2007, 08:30 PM) [snapback]440760[/snapback]</div>
    pola, why not "wait" a few weeks for EXACTLY (package 5, NON-Touring) what you want in the exact exterior color and interior you want ?? :unsure:

Here in Florida, these NON-Touring Prius's are coming in like 5 to 1 over the Touring......... just be patient and get EXACTLY what you want.......... you will have it for many, many years to come and will definitely regret making a "quick" or "wrong" decision........ believe me, we did just that and are haunted every day by the bad decision :( !!

5. pola

pola New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ May 13 2007, 04:32 PM) [snapback]441245[/snapback]</div>

Hi and thanks... but the package 5 Non Touring does not even get shipped to the Gulf States.
    I was told by several dealers.
    For some reason ALL the package 5's that get brought into the Gulf States are Touring.
    Thanks for your help.
    I think one dealer said he might be able to order it for me, but it could take a few weeks... also the more we thought about it, the more we thought we should just go wtih package 3, since we can get a portable GPS nav system.

Thanks again, best wishes p.s what did you get, and why do you regret it ?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pola @ May 13 2007, 05:14 PM) [snapback]441261[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, he said it might take MORE than a few weeks.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ May 13 2007, 04:32 PM) [snapback]441245[/snapback]</div>

Hi and thanks... but the package 5 Non Touring does not even get shipped to the Gulf States.
    I was told by several dealers.
    For some reason ALL the package 5's that get brought into the Gulf States are Touring.
    Thanks for your help.
    I think one dealer said he might be able to order it for me, but it could take MOPE THAN a few weeks... also the more we thought about it, the more we thought we should just go wtih package 3, since we can get a portable GPS nav system.

6. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Pola, I have a Garmin 320 which can be considered rather low end (old echnology). In researching specs I would suggest a Garmin C530 ($322.65 at amazon.com), C550, or C580 or a Nuvi (also Garmin) 200 through 650. Prices can range up to $700. When I was looking, amazon.com and garmin.com had the best prices.

My unit sits in the top cup holder as mounting and removing the bracket on the window or windshield was a pain. Actually it mounts easy. The removing is a pain. It runs on its own battery so I can use it walking around an unfamiliar city or transfer it to the other car. I'm not a heavy user but have found it to be pretty accurate. When not in use it rides in the armrest.

From what I read the price difference between a touring and standard model at the same trim level is minimal. (Compare the features, not the package numbers). I would take a Touring to get the preferred color. All the advanced options sound great but if you don't want (or won't use) them then why pay for them? I originally was looking for a top end car (everything but leather) but am happy with my lower package. When I thought about it, I didn't want half the stuff in the packages and really didn't need the rest. Based on what I read on the site here I have no regrets.

7. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This sounds (in my opinion) totally ridiculous that only NON-Touring get shipped to the Gulf States, but I am not going to say it is true or false as I live in Florida and we have a different Toyota "distributor" called "S.E.T." which is South East Toyota. They cover Florida, Georgia, Alabama, N. Carolina and S. Carolina.
    You can go onto the web site (as I have been doing): http://buyatoyota.com and do a SEARCH for the vehicles coming into port within a certain radius of your zip code. I do not know what colors you wanted, but just out of curiousity I did a "locate search" for 2007 Prius and got 565 total. Out of that were 487 NON-TOURING and then I narrowed it down to NON-Touring with PACKAGE #5 and it gave me these results with 24 being "available" (this does NOT mean that they are not already allocated or "sold" but you would have a great chance that some are NOT sold as of yet.... remember, they are on their way to port (Jacksonville, Florida) or have recently arrive at port:
    (2) Seaside / Gray
    (3) Seaside / Bisque
    (4) Driftwood / Bisque
    (2) Silver Pine Mica / Gray
    (1) Silver Pine Mica / Bisque
    (4) Red / Bisque
    (2) Red / Gray
    (3) White / Bisque
    (2) Gray / Gray
    (1) Black / Gray

[/quote]
    [/quote]

We "settled" for a HOUSE here in Plant City, Florida (about three years ago during the Florida housing "frienzy" !!) that the Realtor sort of "talked-us-into"....... it was a bit older than we wanted, needed some work in and out, and the lot lines were small making the houses very close together. You could smell food (and cigar smoke) from your next door neighbor as well as hear every word of their conversations when on the outside Lanai or windows open. It had a nice pool and was on a great pond (lots of wildlife) but needed lots of work as I said. One year and $40K+ later I did most of the work myself....... then the "Family from Hell" moved in right next door with FOUR screaming kids (ranging from 5 to 14 years old) that had, what seemed like, "24/7 pool parties", kids throwing firecrackers and just "screaming, screaming, screaming" KIDS.......... my Wife and I just moved out of an "Active Adult" (NO KIDS) Community in Leesburg, Florida to this house because our commute to work in Tampa was over 1 1/2 hours each way. We ended up selling this house (Plant City) at a "loss" and moving down the road to an area of this Community that was more "adult friendly" with a little more "space" between houses and "older" (no kids) neighbors that take very good care of their houses and yards.
    :rolleyes: Aren't you sorry you asked ??

8. pola

pola New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ May 13 2007, 09:50 PM) [snapback]441424[/snapback]</div>

Thanks, Jim ! what you say makes sense, we'll see what prices we can get and where...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ May 14 2007, 06:06 AM) [snapback]441536[/snapback]</div>
    Oh dear, talk about stress - yes, I'm sorry I asked ! (lol) but at least you are out of there !! and things can always be worse... at least you have your health...right ? thanks a million for the very helpful info. today... will copy it and save it... will be calling dealers today, and will investigate this.. THANKS again.
    so much

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pola @ May 14 2007, 09:16 AM) [snapback]441635[/snapback]</div>
    CORRECTION : Only TOURING, package 5 get sent to Gulf states...

9. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pola @ May 14 2007, 11:17 AM) [snapback]441635[/snapback]</div>
    Out of curiousity, what "states" are considered (by Toyota) the "Gulf States"....... obviously Texas is one, but what others and WHAT PORT do these vehicles come in to ??

Just a curious question......... WHY are you so dead set "against" the TOURING ?? Wider tires and a bit stiffer suspension definitely helps in those Texas flooded roads during the "rainy season" just as we get here in Florida (June - November). Some like, some "hate" the HID headlights, but they are great in FOG !! So why not get TOURING with Package 5 and get a dealer to give you a great price telling him you are "setteling" for the Touring and it is not exactly as you want............ or, seriously, BUY a NON-Touring, if that is what you really want, in Florida, really.... get the exact colors (in and out) you want and the exact package. Pick it up in Florida and drive it slowly (break-in period) back home to Texas. Rent a one-way rental down here, do it during the week and get some "discount" through AAA or other means. Get in touch with the dealer I used in Tampa. Actually there are several here that have so many Prius's in NON-Touring. See, we want TOURING, so here WE are the minority !!
    By-the-way......... which exterior color did you chose ?? And gray or bisque interior ?? :eek:

10. pola

pola New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ May 14 2007, 10:05 AM) [snapback]441683[/snapback]</div>
    Hi again, Wen,
    Gulf states are on the Gulf of Mexico... i need to look at a map..(lol) sorry.
    We like the ride of the non-touring better.... we felt too many bumps on the Touring.
    We think we JUST found a dealer nearby who can order what we want !
    We are going to see them today.
    We'll keep you posted !
    He wants silver, I want silver pine mica. probably gray interior, which shows less dirt. probably will put seat covers on them.
    both cool colors for Texas. i am taking the Edmonds report to see what kind of price break we can get... i told him we would fly out of state to get what we wanted and this did the trick ! (lol) but it remains to be seen re: what kind of price we'll get since they have to order the cars... i am hoping for 25K AFTER Tax, title, license, since MSRP is 26K and invoice is 21K, at least according to Edmonds.. i may be dreaming but we'll try. Now will call the Houston dealer to see what he can do,.... take care,

Thanks again,
    pola

11. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Note that that Edmunds Invoice is falsely low b/c for some reason they don't have any invoice prices listed for option packages, so it basically adds $0 to the invoice price on the bottom line.

12. pola

pola New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Husker4theSpurs @ May 14 2007, 10:50 AM) [snapback]441730[/snapback]</div>
    glad you pointed that out, and THANKS !
    what do you think a fair price would be for a package 5 then ?
    I know I can look it up, but want your opinion.

best,

13. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pola @ May 14 2007, 01:00 PM) [snapback]441736[/snapback]</div>
    If you look at Edmunds the T.M.V. (what most are paying) for the Touring w/pkg. 5 is $25,176 (like the model we ordered) and the one that you want (non-touring w/pkg. 5) on Edmunds is $24,751, only $425 cheaper than the Touring with same package.
    Now we are paying $25,000 ($176 cheaper than T.M.V. in theory) but the Dealer adds on (here in Florida) a $589 "Dealer Admin. Fee" (which is like a "prep" and a "doc" fee combined) !! So OUR (Touring/pkg. 5) bottom line is $25,589. I'm not sure what kinds of "bogus fees" they add on in Texas, but I would just speculate that YOU should be paying around $24,400 plus tax and tags..... maybe even less :huh: ??
    Here in the South, the Toyota's are part of S.E.T. (SouthEast Toyota) and they are famous for adding a package called "TOYOGUARD PLUS" for $699 (additional). I heard it is JUST a "S.E.T." thing, but beware it might be in YOUR area ?? It is done AT THE PORT of entry !! They do glass VIN etch, quickly spray undercoating in the wheel wells, and then put on a "paint sealant" which MOST do not like. We were lucky enough to eliminate this option BEFORE it came into port (Jacksonville, Florida) and the dealer REMOVED that crazy $699 additional "optional FEE" !! I am an ex-mechanic and "detailed" many a nice vehicle....... "I" prefer to wax it MY WAY !!
    As far as the color, I don't know if I mentioned it but you can "see" in the little photo near my forum "name" that we ordered Silver Pine Mica with gray interior. It's an exterior color that one either "loves" or hates..... obviously we love it !! Your choice of that color or Silver are two really nice colors. Can't go wrong with either, that is .... you probably won't get "tired of seeing" either !! I once had a silver Buick Regal Sport Coupe in 1977 and back then the silver colors faded out within a few years, got almost dull gray looking, especially on the upper (hood, roof, trunk) surfaces. Today's clear coat silvers are beautiful, and so are exotic colors like Silver Pine Mica. Three vehicles ago... I had an Acura 3.2TL in Laguna Green. It was anything but "green".... it was more like a metallic GRAY with just a "hint" of metallic green in it. A fantastic "mystery" color used only in 2000 on the TL, no other year !! In the sunlight it looked one color, in passing clouds or at dusk it changed into another color, really nice. That vehicle had a "fern" (gray-green) leather interior, but unfortunately that Acura required PREMIUM Fuel ONLY !! Back in '00 wasn't too bad......... sold it (privately) in '04 and made some good "profit", that is I didn't get a low Kelly Blue Book price as others TL's that were not "babied" as mine was, and mine had very low miles, too. (sorry to babble on.............) :rolleyes:

14. formerVWdriver

formerVWdriver New Member

Okay, maybe I'm dumb as a stick, but I cannot figure out the difference between a Touring and a Non-Touring. In fact, I do not know what I have! All the Toyota online brochure said was that the spoiler fin was bigger on the Touring. Why bother to differentiate if that's the only difference?

Since I've already bought the car and couldn't be happier, it doesn't matter, but my husband may be in the market for a new car since he was hit by an 18-wheeler (thankfully, it's not as bad as it sounds but his car may be totalled. He's fine. Played tennis the next day.) Anyway, I'm trying to help out by being more informed this time. He'd like a Prius. He'd like a really good deal, too.

I got the package 6 because that was the only one they had with leather. Because the leather was the biggest selling point for us, it helped negotiate a better price. However, now that I have package 6, I'm finding I can't live without all the extra stuff. Just wish I could figure out how to work it all!

I notice on the online brochure that they Prius is supposed to have energy-trapping glass. Here in S.C., that would be a really bad thing. I think the windows are tinted. Is that a Southeast Toyota thing? If it isn't, it should be.

15. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(formerVWdriver @ May 14 2007, 06:57 PM) [snapback]442018[/snapback]</div>
    The standard model has Goodyear Integrities (P185/65/R15) on smaller rims. The Touring has a different brand on 16 inch rims. The car does seem to retain more heat compared to my Intrigue. All tinted windows are aftermarket. The Touring also has a stiffer suspension but that wouldn't be a visual difference.

And, for the record, formerVWdriver, you are definitely smarter than a stick. :)

16. pola

pola New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ May 14 2007, 12:48 PM) [snapback]441810[/snapback]</div>
    THANKS for all the info, again, Wen, really appreciate it.. this is helping me in my current negotiations... will keep you posted soon.
    best,

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(formerVWdriver @ May 14 2007, 05:57 PM) [snapback]442018[/snapback]</div>
    Sometimes ignorance is bliss, so you are lucky you have not spent so much time fretting about the details I am fretting about !
    glad you love your car, will keep you posted,
    best,