1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

We get it tomorrow!!! Any pointers for new prius parents?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tapny1, Aug 30, 2006.

1. tapny1

tapny1 New Member

Our silver pine mica Prius package 4 is waiting for us at the dealer. We are so excited! We read over the break-in advice folks have given in the past. We will try to stay under 65 for the first 500 miles... Yay us!!

2. glenhead

glenhead New Member

Read the manual, cover to cover, except the parts that don't apply. You'll have a Type 2 audio system - something they never make clear in the manual. When you fuel it, try to park at a pump where the fuel door is on the uphill side of the car - having it pretty much the high point makes it easiest to get a full load. The car won't automatically lock itself when you leave, no matter what the salesman says.

Above all, have fun! Drive it like a normal car (if you can!) and try not to smack into someone while you're staring at the cool gizmos.

Congrats - and what are you doing with my car? :blink: Great color choice, and I'm pretty pleased with the Package 4. I've added an XM Roady2 (just over $40 off of eBay) and a digital compass for $30 from eBay. I'm probably going to add a Parrot Bluetooth system (around $200 (plus install)) for the handsfree cellphone use - that'll give me danged near everything in a Package 6 (I think - isn't the navigation system #7?) for less than $300 (except the JBL sound system - and the system in #4 sounds pretty good!)

3. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    We have a SPM #5, love the color!! & the car!

Somewhere on here was a post with a check list to take w/ you when picking up the car, perhaps someone can post a link as i'm
    on a pda right now & typing is a bit slow.....

Congrats!!

4. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(glenhead @ Aug 30 2006, 09:56 PM) [snapback]311927[/snapback]</div>

Yes-Read the manual. what you can't find there, you can most likely find here. Congrats and enjoy, enjoy enjoy. Most fun you'll ever have driving a car.

5. tacomel

tacomel New Member

6. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    2 years in the saddle and a wahoo to you. Still love this car. B) We be cool!

7. pirateprius

pirateprius New Member

Eastern North Carolina, Home of the ECU Pirates
    Most important is to enjoy your new car. Saw a silver pine mica today - very nice (but not as nice as black of course). Congratulations on your new baby.

8. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I recommend to just drive and enjoy it. There is no way you will inhale all the gizmos in a single drive anyway. :) Learn something new each day and eventually everything will become easy. Trying to learn what this car does too quickly will just frustrate you. Enjoying it by learning one or two new things a day is a formula to happiness.

Congrats, by the way and welcome to the group here.

Cheers

9. New Revelation

New Revelation The Master Captain

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Oooooo I almost envy you guys......congrats on your new Prius! I still have awhile yet until I can get mine, but I hope you get the max enjoyment out of your car! :) Let us know how things turn out.

10. msmit002

msmit002 Junior Member

Take an afternoon and just drive. All sorts of environments, if you can: Highway, city, suburban towns... Just get a feel for the car and watch it on the CONSUMPTION screen (not the screen that shows all of the arrows.) This will give you a nice idea as to where you can expect decent mileage, average mileage and phenomenal mileage.

Oh, and I found this site was interesting. learned a few nuggets I didn't know...
    Scott Elkin's 34 Tips for Prius Owners

Congrats!

11. mikechan777@hotmail.com

[email protected] New Member

I had mines for a week; so far, I bought a cargo net from Deland Toyota off eBay. Has yet to arrive but enjoy your car!

12. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Pointers? Drive it like you stole it! :D

Seriously though, just enjoy the heck out of the car. Take some time to familiarize yourself with all the features on the inside and outside of the car if your salesperson doesn't take the time to point out things for you, as mine did. Just drive it like a normal car, you don't have to treat it special at all although I'm sure you will because the Prius is a darned special car, IMO. :)

13. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Also, don't worry about your mileage right away. There's a break-in period, which is for both the Prius and the driver. You'll find many suggestions on this site on how to improve your mileage, handling and the like.

As the others have said..........just drive it (and, of course, enjoy).

14. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Cheers on your new Prius! And welcome to PC. I personally didn't have all the 'break-in' advice that you guys have been able to access here. But maybe you can get some tips on what you might want to do with your Prius in the near future.

15. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  16. ymos

ymos New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tap @ Aug 30 2006, 08:37 PM) [snapback]311877[/snapback]</div>
    I picked up the silver pine #4 two weeks ago. I'd suggest reading the manual, making an MP3 cd and turning off the display and enjoying the empty space of the dash. I had to buy a new coffee mug too.

Hope you enjoy your new car! :)