1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

We get made fun of on Top Gear

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jrod81, Sep 25, 2007.

1. jrod81

jrod81 Member

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    They reviewed the car for what it was not build for. Can you imagine them reviewing a Ferrari by hypermiling and say how bad the MPG it gets?

3. Prinux

Prinux New Member

Actually the "child could retrieve the ball, and then grow to puberty" line cracked me up.

Really, I think there are very few reasons you'd ever need to go from 0-60 in less than 10 seconds. Granted (and this is a big granted) I am not a driver. Our old Prius had enough pick up to keep up with traffic, and better, smoother pick up than our Saturn SL1. (Maybe not as much as the yucky Ford we're renting till we get our new Prius.)

The person who is going to buy a Porsche or Jaguar is not going to be happy in Prius. The Prius just isn't that kind of car. Personally, I think Jaguars are the ugliest things on the road. (No, maybe Scions... But at least Scions have a cooler concept than Jaguars.)

Top Gear... well... they have a show about high end cars (and sometimes about clay shooting). Much of it is tongue and cheek. And despite what they say about Prii being pricey... It's still cheaper than my brother in law's luxury Lincoln. And just as cool. ;)

4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    There are also serious misstatements (errors) in this report:
    1. My 2004 Prius does 0-60 in about 10 seconds, not 13.5 as stated. Did he measure it or did he read the specs on the classic (or original) Prius?
    2. He says that a diesel is greener (more MPG). He is comparing the Prius to a small, manual transmission car that emits significantly more CO2 (more diesel fuel energy comes from its higher carbon content) and other pollutants.
    As said above, he is a very biased reviewer (with a reasonable sense of humor).

JeffD

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Yea, this sad sac's whining is old news. In another youtube video he encourages some shloemoe to machinegun several thousand rounds into a Prius. He's a real piece of work.

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Actually I did the calculations. CO2 emission is about the same for gas as for diesel. Yes, diesel emits more CO2 per litre burned, but because there is more energy in diesel than gasoline, you need to burn less to release the same amount of energy. So it's a wash.

As far as acceleration, I find my Prius does better than most other cars on the road, -once moving-. It does just fine from a stop, but the more important aspect is for passing.

You need to put Top Gear in the proper category. They are a comedy show, not a car review show. Good humour, poor on facts.

7. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah, with Top Gear it's more about the laughs and less about the facts. It's a fun show to watch, but I don't take them seriously at all.

If you want a proper review, buy a well respected car magazine written by real car journalists who's not in it just for giggles.

8. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Listening to comedians for real car info is as silly as going to the Comedy Club on engineer's night. Not too many funny engineers, or comedians that know anything about cars...except maybe Leno. :)

9. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jrod81 @ Sep 25 2007, 08:36 AM) [snapback]517360[/snapback]</div> This bit of video has been around for years and was discussed at length (and shot to bits) on PriusChat some time ago. The Prius shown was first registered in 2003 so may be a 2002 model.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Top Gear is mostly an entertainment car show so take it with a grain of salt.

11. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ Sep 25 2007, 09:15 PM) [snapback]517516[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah. Leno is cool.

12. agron1979

agron1979 Junior Member

That prick is just mad because he couldn't kill a Toyota pick-up...Look it up on youtube it's great and theres 2 parts to it. Search for 'Killing a Toyota Top Gear' you'll find part I and II, watch them both and then you'll figure out why he shows no respect for the Prius. I love my prius and I would be an idiot if I ever got rid of it:)

13. iaowings

iaowings New Member

you know he totally missed the point u cant run it off road like the H1 or that new Toyota off road vehicle. I mean have tried to rock climb or go mudding in a prius? so im gona sell mine because I cant race in the Indy 500 and I cant rock climb so what is the point of this car I ask you?